General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Amateur Looking for Aero Position Critique Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-22 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3110871

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Amateur Looking for Aero Position Critique
This is not a Triathlon frame -  it looks pretty relaxed - probably a relaxed road bike or even touring bike geometry....  hence you can't expect to get into a Lieto like aero position.

Also, the frame is too big for you to get into proper aero position. Your body is streched out (notice the open angle of the forearms) - that means you're suspending your upper body between the saddle and aerobars, and hence uncomfortable.  The saddle height is OK, so you need to adjust the front end.

I suggest a shorter stem and drop it down as lower in the head-tube. Since its a quill stem you will have to trawl ebay (or local bike stores) for a shorter quill stem. This will move your elbow back closer to your body and prevent you from being as uncomfortable. Ideally it will have a negative (downward) drop. 

Nevertheless, don't expect to get very aero on this frame. If you can ride above 20mph for more than 15mi, I would consider saving up for a new bike.

Edited by mgalanter 2010-09-22 9:44 AM

2010-09-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3111228

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Well the price was certainly right.  Nothing wrong with that bike for what you paid.  Personally I'd maybe try to find a cheap forward seatpost to get a bit further up.  Other than that I wouldn't sink a lot of money into that bike.  Ride the tires off of that thing and get your money out of it, though!

x2 - that is a good idea. A forward off-set seatpost will close your stretched out position a bit, and it won't cost you too much.
2010-09-22 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Not an expert on bike fit but if you look at the picture you will notice the front wheel is higher than the rear. It looks like he has his bike's front wheel on something higher than the trainer which the rear is setting on.
Also the top tube is at an upward angle as well.
If you could get those at the same level then the view would be different and maybe the critiques would be better???
2010-09-22 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3111723

User image

Extreme Veteran
trisagain - 2010-09-22 11:03 AM Not an expert on bike fit but if you look at the picture you will notice the front wheel is higher than the rear. It looks like he has his bike's front wheel on something higher than the trainer which the rear is setting on.
Also the top tube is at an upward angle as well.
If you could get those at the same level then the view would be different and maybe the critiques would be better???

I thought that too at first, but if you use the window sill in the background as a guide, I don't think the front wheel is higher (or if it is, it's just a shade higher) than the back.  I think it's an optical illusion created by the sloping top tube and the angle of the handlebars and stem.
2010-09-22 1:25 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
that bike is not too big. If it were too big you wouldn't have as much exposed seat post as you do. The problem is the bikes geometry. It looks to be designed for a very relaxed position, bringing the stack up unusually high. Putting the aero bars puts you in a very relaxed aero position, that does little for you. There doesn't seem to be much adjustment for you to fix the problem.
2010-09-22 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
that bike is not too big. If it were too big you wouldn't have as much exposed seat post as you do. The problem is the bikes geometry. It looks to be designed for a very relaxed position, bringing the stack up unusually high. Putting the aero bars puts you in a very relaxed aero position, that does little for you. There doesn't seem to be much adjustment for you to fix the problem.

2010-09-22 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
It appears that you are a shorter guy as am I.  This will limit you somewhat to just how aero you can really get without going to a 650 wheelset.  The front can only get so low before it makes contact with the tire, ya know. 

I have an older S-Works road bike with clip ons and I know they really don't make a huge difference in my aero position they do help some.  In addition to that though they also give me one more option for comfort while riding which is nice to have on longer rides. 

So I would ignore the advice to just remove them because they don't make you more aero.  I would perhaps find a forward seat post to move you up a bit since the top tube may be a little long.   This would get you a better angle over the bars and help limit fatigue. 

I am saving for a new bike as well, perhaps next spring?  dunno.  Anyway, I plan on getting a proper fitting prior to purchasing a bike so that I can get as comfortable and aero as possible.  Being a shorter guy with little tiny legs and a long torso my choices may be more limited than others.
2010-09-22 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
To the OP:
So, to review:

Raise seat (Experior)

Lower seat. (karlaj)

Bike is too big. (micheal 2_19030)

Bike is too small. (Sprint DA)

Remove aerobars. (UWMadTri)

Keep aerobars. (Batlou)

We’re a helpful bunch, aren’t we?

I'd stick with "ride it a ton until you can afford a new bike". That seems to be the consensus.
2010-09-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3112269

User image

Expert
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-09-22 1:46 PM To the OP: So, to review: Raise seat (Experior) Lower seat. (karlaj) Bike is too big. (micheal 2_19030) Bike is too small. (Sprint DA) Remove aerobars. (UWMadTri) Keep aerobars. (Batlou) We’re a helpful bunch, aren’t we? I'd stick with "ride it a ton until you can afford a new bike". That seems to be the consensus.

...you forgot to add lose some weight. 
2010-09-22 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3112269

User image

Veteran
Manalapan (Central New Jersey)
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-09-21 2:46 PM To the OP: So, to review: Raise seat (Experior) Lower seat. (karlaj) Bike is too big. (micheal 2_19030) Bike is too small. (Sprint DA) Remove aerobars. (UWMadTri) Keep aerobars. (Batlou) We’re a helpful bunch, aren’t we? I'd stick with "ride it a ton until you can afford a new bike". That seems to be the consensus.

Now that we've cleared all that up...(wink) help me decide whether to buy this bike:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=226093&posts=9&mid=3091935&highlight=&highlightmode=1&action=search#M3091935

I think I can get the seller down to $550.00
2010-09-22 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3112294

User image

Veteran
Manalapan (Central New Jersey)
Batlou - 2010-09-21 2:50 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-09-22 1:46 PM To the OP: So, to review: Raise seat (Experior) Lower seat. (karlaj) Bike is too big. (micheal 2_19030) Bike is too small. (Sprint DA) Remove aerobars. (UWMadTri) Keep aerobars. (Batlou) We’re a helpful bunch, aren’t we? I'd stick with "ride it a ton until you can afford a new bike". That seems to be the consensus.

...you forgot to add lose some weight. 

I've lost 35 lbs since I started triathlon this June...want to drop another 30 to my goal...so I'm working on it.

j

2010-09-22 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3112321

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
misha1809 - 2010-09-22 1:54 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2010-09-21 2:46 PM To the OP: So, to review: Raise seat (Experior) Lower seat. (karlaj) Bike is too big. (micheal 2_19030) Bike is too small. (Sprint DA) Remove aerobars. (UWMadTri) Keep aerobars. (Batlou) We’re a helpful bunch, aren’t we? I'd stick with "ride it a ton until you can afford a new bike". That seems to be the consensus.

Now that we've cleared all that up...(wink) help me decide whether to buy this bike:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=226093&posts=9&mid=3091935&highlight=&highlightmode=1&action=search#M3091935

I think I can get the seller down to $550.00

fit first....then bike!
2010-09-22 4:55 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Do not raise the seat! Look at the first picture and you can tell that the leg is near extended.

I would say that you are way too tall in the front, which will probably make your shoulders hurt after a short while, plus you are not very aero... looking at those photos, I would say to remove the aerobars and stay in the drops instead.
2010-09-23 4:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Ok, this thread is getting long, but I am still throwing in my two cents.

Disclaimer 1st:  I do bike fits for $$.  FIST certfied since 2008 with over 150 fittings completed. My fitting palmares include a national champion as well as numerous Cat 1 time trialists and my overall state champ TTer.

I do not think you need a shorter stem necessarily. The 1st thing you need to do is get your seat more forward.  You cannot effectively ride low until you are forward. Those things go together like PB&J.  A Profile Design fast forward post (if it fits your frame) or simply turning the seatpost you already own around. (sometimes it works and sometimes not). Slide the saddle all the way forward on the rails. After you do this you will most likely see that very obtuse shoulder angle become more acute. Which will translate to less muscular support and more skeletal support. 

That should be priority #1 for you. Once that is done, you can go back and re-set your seat height for your new forward seat position. Bringing your seat forward, effectively lowers your seat height.  As to your seat height right now, the best I can say is it's close.  A better picture with you in bike shorts and your entire foot in the picture would help in this regard. Nevertheless, you're close.

After all that, you need to get lower in the front. I don't care how. Search for a replacement stem with more drop to it. Or replace those Profile Design clip ons with something lower, such as Visions. I believe, but am not certain, your current bars could be mounted under your handlebars. The stem itself may actually drop down more into your headtube negating the need to buy anything.  Do keep in mind that as you go lower, you are also going more forward. This is why you need to start with coming forward in the first place, as you are already too stretched out.

And yes, it is completely normal to sit on the skinny part, or nose of the saddle when riding aero. As a matter of fact, it is almost impossible not to once you achieve a certain level of drop. Sitting back on the seat when bent over in aero will cause your thighs to rub the sides of the seat. Not very pleasant.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM with questions.

BTW - I have not figured out how to get the sig I want yet so here is my disclaimer:

I coach for a living. It is my full time job. I get paid for bike fits, training plans, etc. I am also the co-developer of a 12 week swim program called, Finding Freestyle. You may hear me mention it. Some of it is free and some of it is for sale. It can be found here:

http://www.findingfreestyle.com/ 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Amateur Looking for Aero Position Critique Rss Feed  

of 2