General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half marathon training plan for beginners? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-24 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3116408

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: RE: Half marathon training plan for beginners?

Local running stores or even your health club (Lifetime Fitness has a running group)...

By the way, I completely understand that some people are more motivated with a more structured/detailed plan.  Some people prefer to have a 'loose' plan and that works for them. Others want some more details. I personally belong to the latter camp. For example, I like having my BT training plan and it provides me extra motivation accomplishing the plan.

2010-09-24 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3116523

User image

Master
TORONTO
Scout7 - 2010-09-24 3:41 PM
A) You are not a "lousy runner". There's no such thing. You either run, or you don't. That's it. Why qualify it?
B) If you don't enjoy running, why do it? And then, why do a half marathon?

Volume right now is NOT the most important thing for you. Consistency is. And to get consistent, you have to learn how to at least tolerate running, and more likely enjoy running.

My advice would be to not focus on a race right now. I would also stop worrying about your times. Banish words like "lousy", "slow", "fast" from descriptions of yourself. If you think you are slow, you WILL BE slow. If you think you are lousy, you WILL BE lousy. What I would do is make a commitment to yourself to get out the door at least 3x a week for a run. Doesn't matter if you're gone for 60 minutes or 6 minutes. Just tie 'em up and go. Nice and easy and relaxed. Run around the block for that it matters. No watch, no nothing; just you moving through the world.

If you can do that for a month, starting adding runs. Make it 4x a week, then 5x. Just heading out and finding that natural rhythm again. No need for anything fancy.

If, after a month, you still dislike running, then I would definitely not consider doing a half marathon. Training for a longer distance requires a level of commitment to training, and that commitment level is hard to maintain over the several weeks most plans cover. And I'll tell ya, no one is going think any less of you for not ever having run a half marathon.

Running ain't hard. We make it that way.

I think all of this is excellent advice.  April 2008 I started running - twice a week.  My short run was 1.5 miles and my long run was 3 miles - my weekly average was 4 miles woo hoo!  By fall I was adding in another run bringing the average up to 10miles/week.  I just focused on feeling strong, getting my breathing under control and while it was a slow process... I was able to build on my distance and have shown small improvements over time.  The key though is finding the love in it.  For me it was personal time - quiet time and I love being out in nature.  Then it was a rush just feeling stronger and able to accomplish more.  Good luck with it!
2010-09-24 9:34 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Listen to Scout (as others have said).  I also found this blog post helpful http://bigmikega.wordpress.com/running/ .  It advocates running 6x per week, 3 short, 2 medium, 1 long run where the short run is 1/3 your long run and the medium run is 2/3 your long run.  So if you long run is 3 miles, do one of those, 2 2 milers and 3 1 miler per week.  Run them all slow for now.  I never get 6 in per week, but have been pretty good about getting 4 or 5 in during my HM training this fall.  After several months, I now look forward to most runs and I never thought I would say that.
2010-09-25 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

You don't need to follow a race plan for a race you don't intend to do. Your goal is to build mileage. You said you could run 3 miles 3 times a week. Let's start there. Here's the plan. Run every other day. All the running should be done at an easy conversational pace. The goal is to build a solid base, speed will come in another phase.

Week 1 - Tue-3, Thur-3, Sat-3
Week 2 - Mon-3, Wed-3, Fri-3, Sun-3
Week 3 - Tue-3, Thur-3, Sat-3
Week 4 - Mon-3, Wed-3, Fri-3, Sun-3

OK, now you've done 12 miles/week twice, if you're feeling good let's bump it up. If not, repeat this 4 week cycle again.

Week 5 - Tue-4, Thur-4, Sat-4
Week 6 - Mon-3, Wed-3, Fri-3, Sun-3
Week 7 - Tue-4, Thur-4, Sat-4
Week 8 - Mon-3, Wed-3, Fri-3, Sun-3

Now, you're maintaining 12 miles/week. Let's bump again.

Week 9 - Tue-4, Thur-4, Sat-4
Week 10 - Mon-4, Wed-4, Fri-4, Sun-4
Week 11 - Tue-4, Thur-4, Sat-4
Week 12 - Mon-4, Wed-4, Fri-4, Sun-4

Now, you've done 16 twice and have been consistantly running for 3 months. Let's bump again.

Week 13 - Tue-5, Thur-5, Sat-5
Week 14 - Mon-4, Wed-4, Fri-4, Sun-4
Week 15 - Tue-5, Thur-5, Sat-5
Week 16 - Mon-4, Wed-4, Fri-4, Sun-4

Now you're maintaining 15+, Let's bump again

Week 17 - Tue-5, Thur-5, Sat-5
Week 18 - Mon-5, Wed-5, Fri-5, Sun-5
Week 19- Tue-5, Thur-5, Sat-5
Week 20 - Mon-5, Wed-5, Fri-5, Sun-5

Now you've made it to your goal of 20 miles/week. By now you should feel comfortable running consistantly. Let's add another day.

Week 21 - Mon-4, Wed-4, Fri-4, Sat-4, Sun-4
Week 22 - Mon-4, Wed-4, Fri-4, Sat-4, Sun-4

Now let's add some variety

Week 23 - Mon-3.5, Wed-4, Fri-5, Sat-3.5, Sun-6
Week 24 - Mon-3.5, Wed-4, Fri-5, Sat-3.5, Sun-6

Now you'll have been consistently running 20 miles/week. At this point you should be able to start a race specific plan that will include items like hills, fartleks, tempo runs, and intervals. There are many good plans to choose from depending on your goal race.

If at any point during the base building you want to throw in a 5K or 10K race, simply substitute the race for that days normal run.

There is no magic to base building, and it can take a fair amount of time. Several years ago I set out to do something very similar and over the course of several years built up to maintaining about 60 miles/week. Kind of amazing to think a staunch running hater like me would ever run that much. The plan above is very simple, but it will work for your stated goal. The consistant running will also help develop mental stamina. There are going to be plenty of times when you don't feel like running, but in order to check off the workout you have to do it. Very often on those days the hardest part is just taking the first few steps. Once you get going it will feel better.

BTW, the distances are not set in stone. For example: If your route is 3.85 or 4.15 instead of exactly 4, use that. Almost none of the running I do is exact distances.

Follow the plan and in 6 months you can be a better runner. Have fun!

2010-09-25 10:11 AM

User image

Expert

I'd second the runnersworld.com smartcoach suggestion- you put in your current mileage, number of weeks before race, etc.  easy to get a schedule and adjust the long runs for your needs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half marathon training plan for beginners? Rss Feed  

of 2