General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half marathon training plan for beginners? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-24 2:01 PM

User image

Master
PNW
Subject: Half marathon training plan for beginners?

Can anyone point me to a half marathon training plan for essentially beginner runners?  The one here on BT and the one's I am finding with searches all start out with run volumes that are much greater than I am capable of right now.  I don't care if the plan takes a year...I just need a plan.

Here is the reasoning (and maybe someone has a better idea for me)...  I'm a lousy runner (11:30min/mile in a sprint, 10min/mile open 5K pace).  I think I could be a decent runner if I ran more.  I just don't.  I don't generally enjoy it and when there are so many other exercise options out there, I will virutally never choose to run if I'm not 'supposed' to.  I managed to stick to a couch to 5K plan last year to get up to my current level, but once I got to where I could comfortably run a 5K, I stopped running but once or twice a week to maintain it.  I almost always dread my runs, too.

My thought is that if I had a structured training plan, I could probably motivate myself to get out there and do the runs by the sheer promise of getting to cross it off on a training plan once it's done.  I think that once I get going, I'll learn to enjoy it but right now, it kind of sucks.   I know volume is the most important thing for me, so I figured a half-mary plan would get me there (I have no intentions of running a half-marathon, by the way).

Any thoughts?

Editing to add: I don't really want a run/walk plan either.  I hated the run/walk thing on the couch to 5K even though I knew it was essential at the time.

Edited by GLC1968 2010-09-24 2:10 PM

2010-09-24 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3116408

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
Subject: RE: Half marathon training plan for beginners?
Check out www.halhigdon.com or www.coolrunning.com

I've used plans off of both of them.
2010-09-24 2:15 PM

User image

Have you tried Hal Higdon's HM plans.  Here is a link to the novice plan

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

As with any other plan, it assumes you already have a running base.  Quoted from the link above.

The above schedule assumes you have the ability to run 3 miles, three to four times a week. If that seems difficult, consider a shorter distance for your first race--or take more time to develop an endurance base. For information on how to train for shorter distances, see my Beginning Runner's Guide or The 5-K Training Schedule on this Web site.

Good Luck
2010-09-24 2:19 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

Maybe start with a 5K/10k plan then moving up.  You need to build a base prior to running the needed amount for a Half (assuming your logs are up to date). 

2010-09-24 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

If that is still too much volume, here's what I would do -

Plan to run 4x/wk:

1 run is the long run (since you've done 5K's, I'd start with a 3.5 mile long run and increase this 10% every week, i.e. 3.85mi on week 2, 4.24mi the following week) - conversational pace

2 medium runs - right now, probably should be 2 mile runs - around 11 min pace. 

1 short recovery walk/run - just stay out there for about 20 minutes or so.

Gradually increase distances (since you're just going for a base right now) staying within the often-quoted 10% rule - don't increase the long run distance by more than 10% each time...and don't increase total weekly mileage more than 10%.

Another way to do it is to do a 10K program first, then the half-marathon.

The programs aren't really all that complicated. You can do the half-marathon program above and just do walk run for the first month - repeating the first week until you can run all of it.

Hope that helps.
2010-09-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3116472

User image

Veteran
Rockford, MI
TriPatrick - 2010-09-24 3:19 PM

Maybe start with a 5K/10k plan then moving up.  You need to build a base prior to running the needed amount for a Half (assuming your logs are up to date). 

I agree with this.  Most 1/2 Mary plans, probably assume you are capable of running a 5K already.  So start with a novice 5K or 10K plan, and once you are able to run 3 or 4 miles straight, then start the 1/2 Mary Novice Plan at week 1.

2010-09-24 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3116445

User image

Master
PNW

I'd already checked coolrunning's plans and the beginner one is too advanced for me.  Base is 15 - 25 mpw and the plan has fartleks or speed work every week!  I haven't checked Hal Higdon's yet - I'll go there next.

Basically, I'm finding that the plans are either too advanced to begin with OR they are run/walk plans.  I'm hoping someone knows of an 'in-between' plan!

2010-09-24 2:33 PM

User image

Master
PNW

I am perfectly comfortable running a 5K now.  (my logs are not really up to date but there is not much running going on anyway).  Just last night, I did a 3.5 mile run at an easy pace and felt fine (if bored). 

Hal Higdon's plan might work.  I'm pretty sure I can do 3 miles, 3 times a week right now.  That might be the ticket!

Basically, I'm looking to create some structure for myself so that I am more motivated to get the run done.  I've tried just planning to do 20 min of running three times a week and 40 min of running twice a week in order to get my volume up, but I always seem to find something else to get in the way of my runs (or I opt to do something else, like a group bike ride or an OWS with friends...).  I just don't enjoy running and I do enjoy everything else, so it's super hard to opt to run, kwim?

Or are there any suggestions about getting motivated to run besides a healthy dose of HTFU?

2010-09-24 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
How many mpw are you doing, right now?  What's your run frequency?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone (because I just went through it).....

Until you hit 20mpw, you probably will dislike running, or, view it as a necessary evil. 

**Edit... Also, if you have no intention of running a HM, why do the plan?  IMO, the plan I started scared me into running more.  I still think I'm under-trained for mine.

Edited by nc452010 2010-09-24 2:37 PM
2010-09-24 2:41 PM

User image

Runner
A) You are not a "lousy runner". There's no such thing. You either run, or you don't. That's it. Why qualify it?

B) If you don't enjoy running, why do it? And then, why do a half marathon?

Volume right now is NOT the most important thing for you. Consistency is. And to get consistent, you have to learn how to at least tolerate running, and more likely enjoy running.

My advice would be to not focus on a race right now. I would also stop worrying about your times. Banish words like "lousy", "slow", "fast" from descriptions of yourself. If you think you are slow, you WILL BE slow. If you think you are lousy, you WILL BE lousy. What I would do is make a commitment to yourself to get out the door at least 3x a week for a run. Doesn't matter if you're gone for 60 minutes or 6 minutes. Just tie 'em up and go. Nice and easy and relaxed. Run around the block for that it matters. No watch, no nothing; just you moving through the world.

If you can do that for a month, starting adding runs. Make it 4x a week, then 5x. Just heading out and finding that natural rhythm again. No need for anything fancy.

If, after a month, you still dislike running, then I would definitely not consider doing a half marathon. Training for a longer distance requires a level of commitment to training, and that commitment level is hard to maintain over the several weeks most plans cover. And I'll tell ya, no one is going think any less of you for not ever having run a half marathon.

Running ain't hard. We make it that way.
2010-09-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3116509

User image

Master
PNW
nc452010 - 2010-09-24 12:35 PM How many mpw are you doing, right now?  What's your run frequency?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone (because I just went through it).....

Until you hit 20mpw, you probably will dislike running, or, view it as a necessary evil. 

I'm running once or twice a week - 6-8 miles total (for the week).  Obviously, not much.  Peak weeks were 3 times a week and 9-12 miles total.

That is exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish - 20mpw by Christmas (or thereabouts).  I'm just trying to come up with a way to motivate myself to get it done. 

2010-09-24 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
I disliked running as well but starting to enjoy it more nowadays (went from being barely able to run 2 miles to comfortably running around 8-9 miles on my longest runs now - just did a 7-mile run this morning and kept it easy but avg a consistent 9:20 pace).  I will also be shifting to a half-mary training plan in the hope of doing my first half-marathon in early December with a stretch goal of averaging a 9:00 pace so I have my work cut out for me.  I have my first Oly tri in 2 weeks that I will try and get through (not enough training due to vacation but I wanted to try it anyway).

Hal Higdon's plans are always criticized for being a bit low on the weekly mileage. That program will probably be enough for you to FINISH a half-marathon but not enough to race it.  However, it'll give you some good base miles and I'm sure that you'll be faster on your 5K given the consistent miles you will be racking.  With your current speed, there's no real need to incorporate a separate speed training day anyway.  I'd just throw in some surges probably about 30sec or so every mile to just shake things up a bit and perhaps make one of your shorter weekly runs a little faster.  Once you finish the 12 weeks, I'd just start an intermediate plan and do that for 12 more weeks.  I bet you'd see a major difference in your running at all distances after 6 months!
2010-09-24 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Just listen to Scout. 

2010-09-24 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3116523

User image

Master
PNW
Scout7 - 2010-09-24 12:41 PM A) You are not a "lousy runner". There's no such thing. You either run, or you don't. That's it. Why qualify it? B) If you don't enjoy running, why do it? And then, why do a half marathon? Volume right now is NOT the most important thing for you. Consistency is. And to get consistent, you have to learn how to at least tolerate running, and more likely enjoy running. My advice would be to not focus on a race right now. I would also stop worrying about your times. Banish words like "lousy", "slow", "fast" from descriptions of yourself. If you think you are slow, you WILL BE slow. If you think you are lousy, you WILL BE lousy. What I would do is make a commitment to yourself to get out the door at least 3x a week for a run. Doesn't matter if you're gone for 60 minutes or 6 minutes. Just tie 'em up and go. Nice and easy and relaxed. Run around the block for that it matters. No watch, no nothing; just you moving through the world. If you can do that for a month, starting adding runs. Make it 4x a week, then 5x. Just heading out and finding that natural rhythm again. No need for anything fancy. If, after a month, you still dislike running, then I would definitely not consider doing a half marathon. Training for a longer distance requires a level of commitment to training, and that commitment level is hard to maintain over the several weeks most plans cover. And I'll tell ya, no one is going think any less of you for not ever having run a half marathon. Running ain't hard. We make it that way.

Just to clarify - I am not training for a half-marathon at all!!  I'm wanting to use a HM training plan to motivate myself to run more often.  Mostly based on your recommendations, actually.  If I want to run a 5K faster, train for a longer distance, right?  Again, I have no intentions of actually running a half marathon - that doesn't appeal to me at all.

I understand and agree with the idea of just getting out there though.  That's kind of why I wanted a plan.  I'm analytical and a bit anal.  If my plan says run, I'll run.   So I figured, finding a beginner plan that builds volume slowly is the best way.  No?

Telling myself to just go out and run doesn't work.  I've been trying that for 6 weeks now and my run volume has only fallen off.
2010-09-24 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3116536

User image

Runner
GLC1968 - 2010-09-24 3:49 PM

Scout7 - 2010-09-24 12:41 PM A) You are not a "lousy runner". There's no such thing. You either run, or you don't. That's it. Why qualify it? B) If you don't enjoy running, why do it? And then, why do a half marathon? Volume right now is NOT the most important thing for you. Consistency is. And to get consistent, you have to learn how to at least tolerate running, and more likely enjoy running. My advice would be to not focus on a race right now. I would also stop worrying about your times. Banish words like "lousy", "slow", "fast" from descriptions of yourself. If you think you are slow, you WILL BE slow. If you think you are lousy, you WILL BE lousy. What I would do is make a commitment to yourself to get out the door at least 3x a week for a run. Doesn't matter if you're gone for 60 minutes or 6 minutes. Just tie 'em up and go. Nice and easy and relaxed. Run around the block for that it matters. No watch, no nothing; just you moving through the world. If you can do that for a month, starting adding runs. Make it 4x a week, then 5x. Just heading out and finding that natural rhythm again. No need for anything fancy. If, after a month, you still dislike running, then I would definitely not consider doing a half marathon. Training for a longer distance requires a level of commitment to training, and that commitment level is hard to maintain over the several weeks most plans cover. And I'll tell ya, no one is going think any less of you for not ever having run a half marathon. Running ain't hard. We make it that way.

Just to clarify - I am not training for a half-marathon at all!!  I'm wanting to use a HM training plan to motivate myself to run more often.  Mostly based on your recommendations, actually.  If I want to run a 5K faster, train for a longer distance, right?  Again, I have no intentions of actually running a half marathon - that doesn't appeal to me at all.

I understand and agree with the idea of just getting out there though.  That's kind of why I wanted a plan.  I'm analytical and a bit anal.  If my plan says run, I'll run.   So I figured, finding a beginner plan that builds volume slowly is the best way.  No?

Telling myself to just go out and run doesn't work.  I've been trying that for 6 weeks now and my run volume has only fallen off.

If having a plan helps, then I would suggest looking at a more involved 10K plan. Or writing your own. I think the idea of picking a half marathon plan just to get you motivated to run is going to prove counterproductive in the long run.
2010-09-24 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

I can't resist....

How will planning for a race you never plan to run motivate you?

2010-09-24 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3116547

User image

Master
PNW
nc452010 - 2010-09-24 12:56 PM

I can't resist....

How will planning for a race you never plan to run motivate you?

Really what I am doing is using a HM (or 10K) training plan to improve my performance in sprint/oly triathlons next summer.  Or, in other words, using a HM/10K training plan to train in my off season. 

I figure that it's the same as having a rotation or a periodized training plan to follow when weight lifting.  By having a plan, you know what your workout will be and if you follow it, you know that you'll see progress without injury.  That's the motivating part.  It works for me in the gym, why not try it out on the road?

Your question is like saying 'I'm going to the gym to throw some iron around but I have no idea what I'll actually do...I may end up standing around chatting too much and away my time but since I don't have a competition coming up it doesn't really matter".
2010-09-24 4:06 PM

User image

NH
Just follow Scout's advice.  Start running.  Work up to running most days.  Mostly slow, sometimes fast.  But run.  That's complicated enough.

I was like you last year - never ran, didn't like it, never planned to do it.  I had even told my wife (a runner) - running isn't a sport, it's what you do to play a real sport.

Then I did a tri, and got addicted.  I followed Scout's plan last fall/winter, and I now love running.  Go figure.  And be careful what you say to your wife...
2010-09-24 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3116670

User image

Runner
You have a plan.

Run 3x a week every week for the next 4 weeks.

If you like, set a min/max for each. Run a minimum of 20-30 minutes, and no more than 45 minutes for each individual run.

There you go, a plan.

After four weeks, make it 4x a week.
2010-09-24 4:15 PM

User image

I don't get it.  If you end up not doing the 40 2X week and the 20 3X a week, why again are you going to do something else that's written on a piece of paper?

Or, just write down the 20 and 40 on the calendaar... and then cross them off. 

I think you may be overthinking it.  Or perhaps tris aren't for you since you hate running so much. 
2010-09-24 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3116685

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

A few things:

1. What Scout is suggesting isn't too different from the Hal Higdon plan, but Hal provides more specific structure.  The main difference is the build up of the long run.  How about taking Hal's plan and maxing your long runs at 5 or 6 miles?  I can understand that for some people, the suggestion of run 20-40 mins often turns into more 20 than 40.  Well, for me anyway. 
  2. Why not lock into an actual race?  I have done this every off season and I look forward to it.  I pick a half marathon, two times fun destination races, and work towards it. 

I have used Hal twice and a 3rd time used the Runner's World Smart Coach.  That's pretty cool - I recommend it.   I had my best Half with the Smart Coach program.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-09-24 4:21 PM

2010-09-24 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3116685

User image

Master
PNW
Scout7 - 2010-09-24 2:13 PM You have a plan. Run 3x a week every week for the next 4 weeks. If you like, set a min/max for each. Run a minimum of 20-30 minutes, and no more than 45 minutes for each individual run. There you go, a plan. After four weeks, make it 4x a week.
2010-09-24 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
You enjoy group rides and OWS with friends, are there any run clubs you can get involved with? It took me running 3X a week for about 2 months before I really started to enjoy it. I think the reason for this is it took me that long before my running started to improve than I just wanted to keep getting better.
2010-09-24 5:04 PM

User image

Master
PNW
Ugh -  I screwed up a post and then get pulled away by work and now I can't edit it anymore because it's been more than 30 minutes.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was the following:

Scout - I don't doubt your methods or question your advice at all.  In fact, my idea to use a HM training plan came directly from something you've posted on multiple occasions - to get faster at a short distance, train for a long one.

As bikergrrl mentioned, your plan I quoted above is very similiar to the Hal Higdon one.  I think that what I'll do is your 3x a week for 30-45 min plan for the first month and then switch to the Hal Higdon plan.  I can't help it that having a structured plan laid out in front of me is more motivating.  I like to be able see my destination and to know where I will be when I complete it.  Apparently, that makes me weird.  I can live with that. Tongue out
2010-09-24 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3116734

User image

Master
PNW
cpsdad - 2010-09-24 3:00 PM You enjoy group rides and OWS with friends, are there any run clubs you can get involved with? It took me running 3X a week for about 2 months before I really started to enjoy it. I think the reason for this is it took me that long before my running started to improve than I just wanted to keep getting better.

That's not a bad idea.  Any thoughts on how I would go about finding a running group for slower runners?  I know of two groups, but both of them are for advanced runners.  Local running stores, perhaps?  Hmmm....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half marathon training plan for beginners? Rss Feed  

of 2