General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Road Bike...Hands Going Numb Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-25 9:32 PM

St. Louis, MO
Subject: New Road Bike...Hands Going Numb
I just got a new road bike and I went out on my first ride and my hand went WAY numb. I was properly fitted at the store on the trainer but that is different than actually riding. Any suggestions on what could be causing this? I was thinking maybe my stem is too long and I am just a little too far back??? But not sure.

Thanks!

2005-07-25 9:38 PM
in reply to: #207163

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: New Road Bike...Hands Going Numb
Gloves
Padded bar tape
Change hand positions frequently
re-check your fit
2005-07-25 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Have you been doing a lot of work with your hands lately?  During my last move I did so much taping, wrapping, unwrapping, tool use, etc. that for about a month I couldn't ride my roadie without my hands going numb.  It was SOOOO annoying.

Just another off the wall thought for you....

2005-07-25 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
a similar thing happened to me last weekend. i was having some numbness and then for the rest of the day i was having muscle spasms in my left hand. i attributed it to my hand position, but i couldn't find anything that was more comfortable than what i was doing. i'm going to try gloves.
2005-07-25 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
New York City
My pointing finger and thumb go numb every once and awhile, I try to switch hand positions often. I've read that if the numbness is in these to fingers it is more likely that I'm pinching a nerve at the wrist. If it is other fingers, pinky to middle fingers the issue may be further up in the sholders. Not sure what is happening if it is the whole hand, can you notice more numbness in different fingers? I would go with the switching of your hand positions and make sure you are relaxed in your shoulders..see if that works.
2005-07-25 11:09 PM
in reply to: #207186

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Exor - 2005-07-25 11:00 PMMy pointing finger and thumb go numb every once and awhile, I try to switch hand positions often. I've read that if the numbness is in these to fingers it is more likely that I'm pinching a nerve at the wrist. If it is other fingers, pinky to middle fingers the issue may be further up in the sholders. Not sure what is happening if it is the whole hand, can you notice more numbness in different fingers? I would go with the switching of your hand positions and make sure you are relaxed in your shoulders..see if that works.

I've had a similar experience - Part of my right index finger goes numb on long rides. Went away after a while - or maybe I just have gotten used to it.

2005-07-26 12:42 AM

User image

Orange County, CA
I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem...because I was fitted correctly and all when I bought my bike but on my first big ride both of my hands went numb and I started to question the bike, but then I read somewhere that it's pretty common and the only way to avoid that is to change hand positions and/or get better gloves like someone mentioned here, but then recently I purchased Profile Design Carbon AeroBars and so far i went on 2 decent rides and so far so good no numbness...
2005-07-26 7:38 AM
in reply to: #207181

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I have to move my hand position frequently (just a little) to keep mine from going numb. It is a new position for your hands I bet. Just move them a little frequently. It's like butt soreness, you eventually get used to it.

Edited by nliedel 2005-07-26 7:39 AM
2005-07-26 7:58 AM

User image

New user
Houston, TX
I sometimes go numb in the pinkies.

It usually means that I am tired and locking my elbows. (Most all of my form goes out the window as I get tired.)

The best solution for me is to just remember to keep alternating hand position frequently.

2005-07-26 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Hand numbness is usually caused by having too much weight resting on your hands for too long.

In turn this uneven weight distribution is caused by a few different things.

1. Issues with bike fit, usually stem too long or too low or top tube too long.
  2. Issues with core strength. Your abs and lower back need to be doing a lot of the work of keeping you in position, as well as your hands and arms.
  3. Issues with flexibility, if your hamstrings are too tight, for instance, you will have difficulty in reaching your handlebars properly.
  4. Not changing hand position enough. Lots of folks just starting out ride almost exclusively on the hoods and/or the tops of the bars. Getting down in the drops occasionally will help.

Of course, good gloves help as does good handlebar tape, but these are "band-aid" solutions and will not fix the underlying causes.

2005-07-26 8:17 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i've had problems with hand numbness since right after college. its mostly my left hand. when i was mountain biking, my wrist ended up a bit abused and i had some ulnar nerve damage. if i'm not careful, my hand will really numb up now. i have some good gel gloves (can't remember the brand, but i'll post it when i do) and on longer rides move around a lot on the hoods, bars, drops, and aero bars. its also worse if i'm biking into the wind for a long time, since i'm more tense and brace myself more with my arms. bring the bike back to the shop and see what suggestions they have. get some good gloves. make sure your saddle is comfortable so you are letting more of your weight rest on your sit bones instead of you arms and hands. good luck!

2005-07-26 8:24 AM

Master
Boston

Wow, that's funny that someone just started this post b/c the other day I posted something about my fingers twitching (muscle spasms) after a long bike ride. Good to see this happens to other people, too- I'm not alone!

I ride a tri bike, so I will just have to be more concious about changing my hand position and trying to stay in the aero position more- that way there won't be any pressure on my hands.

2005-07-26 10:07 AM

St. Louis, MO
Thank you everyone! On my ride this morning I moved my hands around more and that helped a lot. So much so that I noticed how uncomfortable my saddle is Back to the bike store this afternoon for some fine tuning.

2005-07-26 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
is it only on the bike or do you have numbness other times (like waking up in the morning) ?
2005-07-26 10:01 PM

User image

Regular
Lethbridge, Alberta
...it was already mentioned, but I find spending more time on my aero bars helps in reducing stress on my hands, improving time (aerodynamics), and also seems to let me relax a little more in my back, which has seemed to give me more energy for my legs... and as already pointed out, moving your hands around on the bars, moving in and out of your drops now and again reduces nerve and muscle pain from a constant pressure on one or two parts of your hands.
2005-07-26 10:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have carpal tunnel in my hands from when I was pregnant with twins 16 years ago. I had surgery in one hand and it is better but not great. Normally my hands don't tingle, but feel a little off. When I do something to much they act up. Once I started riding more last winter on the trainer, my hands were horrible. I bought aerobars to get more comfortable not for speed or aerodynamics. My hands thank me every ride that I ride in aero position most of the time...and I don't have that annoying tingling.

I do agree with what others have said about moving hands around and also not having to much weight on your hands...using core muscles more.

Sounds like you are on the right track and bringing your bike back to the LBS and having them get it right for you. Enjoy your new bike!!

2005-07-27 5:34 AM

Conroe, Texas
One more thought; how tightly do you grip the bars? You should be holding on just tight enough to maintain your position. I used to have a death grip on the bars. Once I learned to loosen up, I felt better on the bike, hands and all.
2005-07-27 6:46 AM
in reply to: #208427

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
KathyG - 2005-07-26 11:57 PM

I have carpal tunnel in my hands from when I was pregnant with twins 16 years ago. I had surgery in one hand and it is better but not great. Normally my hands don't tingle, but feel a little off. When I do something to much they act up. Once I started riding more last winter on the trainer, my hands were horrible. I bought aerobars to get more comfortable not for speed or aerodynamics. My hands thank me every ride that I ride in aero position most of the time...and I don't have that annoying tingling.

I do agree with what others have said about moving hands around and also not having to much weight on your hands...using core muscles more.

Sounds like you are on the right track and bringing your bike back to the LBS and having them get it right for you. Enjoy your new bike!!

My experience is similar (except for the pregnancy part...). I've had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand (I'm left handed), and have symptoms with my right hand, but not quite bad enought yet for surgery. I always wear padded bike gloves, even when racing.
I just upgraded my aerobars from a set of Profile Design Century bars to a set of their Carbon Stryke bars. The Century bars were the one-piece style and I never really was able to get comfortable with them. The Carbon Stryke bars have separate hand bars that are individually adjustable for both angle & length. With the help of my LBS I've been able to get them fine-tuned where I can get most of the pressure off my hands. I raced this past Sunday and felt comfortable in the bars for 90% of the race (I came off the aerobars on a couple of blind turns where I had to hug the centerline to avoid sand covering the outside of the road).
Mark
2005-08-08 10:47 AM

New user

seattle, wa
how long do the hand and fingers stay numb? at what point should i do somthing about it? and what should i do about it? ( my hands have been numb for 2 days)

thanks!

2005-08-10 9:51 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
I have the same problem too. Fortunately, it's getting better. I got my saddle adjusted. I also learned to loose my grip and shift my body weight to my core rather than shoulders/hands. Fingers still go numb every now and then when I ride, but the numbness usually goes away after a while.

Edited by Denise2003 2005-08-10 9:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Road Bike...Hands Going Numb Rss Feed