General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching from mountain bike to road bike... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-24 7:46 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Switching from mountain bike to road bike...
I see some pretty painful failures in my future before I reap the benefits of switching from the beast to a more aerodynamic ride. I came into contact with a road bike for the first time today and intended to take it for a test ride. After staring it down and then straddling the bar and reaching to take hold of the handle bars I was overcome with a sick feeling. I am use to having my handle bars above the seat. Having my upper body so low in relation to my butt on a bicycle really freaks me out. I ended up not taking a test drive... yet. I'm working on building up the nerve to potentially spill in a retail store.

Did anyone else have this experience? I didn't anticipate it at all! If you had this problem, how long did it take you to get used to it?

2010-09-24 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3116909

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Switching from mountain bike to road bike...
mbasta - 2010-09-24 5:46 PM I see some pretty painful failures in my future before I reap the benefits of switching from the beast to a more aerodynamic ride. I came into contact with a road bike for the first time today and intended to take it for a test ride. After staring it down and then straddling the bar and reaching to take hold of the handle bars I was overcome with a sick feeling. I am use to having my handle bars above the seat. Having my upper body so low in relation to my butt on a bicycle really freaks me out. I ended up not taking a test drive... yet. I'm working on building up the nerve to potentially spill in a retail store.

Did anyone else have this experience? I didn't anticipate it at all! If you had this problem, how long did it take you to get used to it?

I started on a road bike, so mine was the other way. I'm generally fearless (aka not too bright), so getting on a mtn bike wasn't all that bad.

Just get on it, cruise around local back streets. Get used to it. It won't take that long.

John
2010-09-24 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3116950

Master
, California
Maybe try a couple rides with it locked in on a trainer for bit until you get used to the position?  Assuming the bike fits properly, of course.
2010-09-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3116909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
I went from mountain bikes for 8 years directly to a tri bike.  It took a few rides before I was comfortable at slower speeds or turning.  At higher speed I was amazed at the stability.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching from mountain bike to road bike... Rss Feed