General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 5 days til my Tri, Food and Workout questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-26 6:41 AM

User image

Subject: 5 days til my Tri, Food and Workout questions

2005-07-26 6:45 AM
in reply to: #207310

User image

Subject: RE: 5 days til my Tri, Food and Workout questions
Sorry, hit the wrong button.

Ok, here goes. I am so psyched for my first race that all I can think about is doing everything between now and Sunday right. I am a low carb eater, and I'm freaking a little about all the carbloading talk I have heard. So what is the deal? If I have oatmeal everymorning, and good carbs in my diet like dried fruits, corn, carrots, some potato - do I really have to have rice and pasta to be well fueled for a sprint triathlon???

Also, I have heard and read that I am supposed to be resting more this week, and the tough workouts should be behind me. I feel very well prepared, but have a hard time mentally taking a day off This is shocking to me, as I am a very new athlete. Recently lost 40 lbs, and started bike/swim/run training only in April. But my fitness has jumped in the last month so much! Anyhow, I ran 6 miles Sunday, swam 1000y yesterday, and I'm itching for a bike ride. Should I really take some days 100% off?

Thanks everyone!

MG
2005-07-26 6:50 AM

Clarkston MI
I took one day off before the race. Otherwise they say to tamper the week prior to the race.
I did some short and slow workouts and felt fresh at the race.
But thats me and you maybe different.
Good Luck!!
2005-07-27 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Don't sweat the carbo loading issue, people way over do it for shorter races like sprints. Personally, I don't advocate low carb dieting, and I've lost 65 pounds (and kept it off) over the last three years eating lots of bagels, multigrain bread, oatmeal, rice, pasta, carrots, bananas, and other "sugary" fruits and vegetables. That being said, if you have felt like you have enough energy on your long runs and rides, you should be fine for the race. I usually eat oatmeal and a banana before shorter tris and running races (anything under 2 hours), with some sports drink or a gel thrown in during the race.

As far as days off, don't stress about that either. Some people like to take the day before completely off, while some will do a quick and easy ride or run.  During the week before, keep it relatively short and don't push too hard. Some half hour sessions should do you fine. I'm also doing a sprint this Sunday, and my week looks like this: Monday rest day (following a pretty intense weekend of training last week), Tuesday 30 minute run (easy pace) in the morning, 30 minute bike in the afternoon, Wednesday 1160 yards in the pool (5x200 with some cool down laps) and another 30 minute run, Thursday 30 minute bike, Friday 1200 in the pool (4x300), Saturday off, Sunday race. 

Good luck!

-Rob

2005-07-28 6:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
MG, I can't advise you being a n00b myself, but I want to say good luck. I hope that you have a great race! I'll be looking for your report! l1
2005-07-29 6:42 AM

User image

Thank you little1!

This is how my week shaped up:
Sun ran 6 miles
Mon swam 1000y (20x50)
Tue rest
Wed brick 13.7mile bike plus 2 mile run
Thur recreational swim, lite
Fri (today) recreational bike planned and lite swim
Sat - zippo workout, head to the course and register!

As for food, I chose to add the kinds of carbs my body is used to (sweet potatoes, blackbeans and corn, lotsa fruit nto to mention good protein at all meals and great veggies at L and D), and have felt well fuelled for workouts etc, though I bloated a bit I feel wonderful and I wish the race were NOW! Right this minute!

Writing a race report, now that sounds fun!

Have an awesome day!
mg

2005-07-29 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
You really don't need to change your nutrition for a sprint tri - you only burn around (I think) one thousand calories. If you feel like you're dragging, you can always grab some sports drink from the water stations. Good luck - I'm sure that you'll have fun!
2005-07-29 7:56 AM

User image

Thanks Summer2005, you sound like a pro. Have you done a sprint?

mg
2005-07-29 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
I've done three (well, one got rained out, so finished two). For all three, I had cheese & rye crackers about three hours beforehand, then fruit about ninety minutes beforehand. I drank Gatorade at one of them because I felt cruddy (didn't drink enough water on the bike), which helped. I don't do low carb, but if your system is used to it, I don't see a problem. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 5 days til my Tri, Food and Workout questions Rss Feed