General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 12m 34s
Overall Rank = 188/211
Age Group = M 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 22/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and ate PB&J and some yogurt and loaded up the truck to head to the race. It was only about 15 minutes away, so I was not rushed at all.
Event warmup:

None - right when I went to jump in the lake, they ordered everyone out. Oh well, should have found a tree or something to piss on, as I was held up 15 minutes waiting to use the porta-potty in transition. Only 2 porta-potties on each side of transition for 500+ racers - Come on people.
Swim
  • 37m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

I should not have worn my tri top on the swim - never have before and probably never will again, at least the one that I currently have. Wanted to save time on my T1, so put the HR monitor on for the swim and the tri top on to prevent it from getting slapped/pulled off during the swim. As I was rounding the first buoy, I knew that my underarm was going to be raw by the end of the swim. The tri top had a thick seam under the arm and just tore me up the entire swim. Add to that the fact that it looked like I did the superman slide in the mud after getting out of the water and it was a bad idea all together to wear the top on the swim. That water must have been filthy, because everyone who had a light colored top on looked the same as I did.
What would you do differently?:

Ditch the tri top.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Wow, that was a steep hill going down - almost bit it more than once and the mud didn't help. I hope there were no photographers at the bottom of that thing, because they probably captured the look of fear from me and everyone else at the bottom of that hill. Got to my transition spot and tried to clean some of the mud/grass off before putting my socks on to run out. Did the leap onto my bike and into my shoes after the mount line - worked great.

Get faster - saw someone washing their feet off with a water bottle before putting on their shoes. That would probably keep some of the grass off my feet and in my shoes. I'll definitely incorporate that into the next race.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 50s
  • 24 miles
  • 16.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of transition is probably the worst hill on the course - had a hard time trying to get into a rhythm and start on the nutrition. Once I got going, I seemed to be at a good pace - for me. The bike seems to be my weakest point at this time. I thought I was doing pretty well, but just kept getting passed by some really fast folks. Hopefully, I can work on this more for the next race.

Get more time in the saddle and work on my speed.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Waited a little too long to take my feet out of my shoes on the bike and felt rushed right at the dismount line. Nicked my leg on the pedals trying to make up for it and squeeze them out quickly. I should have taken them out a little earlier. Had trouble hooking the seat on the rack at first, then I couldn't get my last gel into the pocket on the back of my tri shirt. Had to go to the porta-potty on my way out to the run - lost some time there.

Get faster and increase my bladder size?
Run
  • 1h 01m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a good run - didn't stop except through the aid stations that I hydrated on and maintained a sub 10 minute pace. I started running earlier this year and could barely manage a 11 minute pace, so I was happy with this at the end of a tri. There were some killer hills going in and out of the underpasses that proved to be difficult at times, but thankfully they were fairly short distances. I saw this guy in my age group pass me about a half mile from the finish and we ended up sprinting to the finish line - good motivator, but it didn't matter anyway, as we found out after crossing the finish line and saw we were in different races. He was in the sprint - oh well.

Keep working on speed and improving.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and a banana and headed to transition to grab my phone, as I didn't see the wife and kids like I expected. Found out they never made it out there, due to an unexpected trip to the emergency room for my youngest to have x-rays. Luckily, it was nothing, but that ended my day - packed up and went home to help out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - just need to keep training and improving.

Event comments:

Great race - the only things that were issues probably couldn't be fixed anyway, like the huge hill you have to run to after swimming and the obstacles (curbs and artificial turf) getting in/out of transition on the bike. One thing though, please relocate a couple of porta-potties into the transition area for next year.

Last updated: 2010-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 135/211
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Two loops in a small man-made lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:27:50 | 24 miles | 16.39 mile/hr
Overall: 198/211
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 4 loops on decent roads - traffic management at every intersection.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:37 | 06.21 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 189/211
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on running trail and sidewalk
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 11:01 AM

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

2010-09-27 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3119421

User image

Expert
Frisco
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic
great job. and yes...camera guy at bottom of hill out of lake.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed