General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sacramento, CA Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-26 12:17 PM

Veteran
Subject: Sacramento, CA
Hey people from CA. I was just wondering what was Sacramento, CA like? I am thinking about moving in the future (about 5 months) and there is a job opening here. I was just wondering what it is like. Is there an area where young adults live? For example a large presence of newly gradutes living in the same area. If you could help me out with this I would surely appreciate it

2005-07-26 5:51 PM
in reply to: #207729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Sacramento, CA
The one thing I know for sure about Sacramento in the summer is it is HOT!!!!!, but without the humidity.. I think there are a few people on the board from Sac.so hopefully that can provide better insight into the different area in Sac..
2005-07-27 2:25 PM

User image

Folsom, CA
I'm in Folsom, CA (a suburb of Sac)...It is hot here-but we get 4 seasons. Summer is long- (@5 Months) and hot, we get several 100+ degree days but the nights usually cool down-it's a dry heat and you can train in the AM or late PM. Fall is @ 2 Months and beautiful. Winter is wet but no snow (@3 Months). Spring is beautiful (@ 2 Months). Bottom line...year round training & tons of places to train-especially on your bike.

As far as where to live...this is a very family oriented area (I'm 39 with 2 kids) and it's relatively quiet area, especially in the Suburbs. I don't think you're going to get the night life that other Cities have to offer. With that said there are 2 Universities (UC Davis & CSUS) & an up & coming downtown area-both have lots of bars/restaurants. We also have the Sacramento Kings (this area is King crazy!), the AAA affiliate of the Oakland A's, the NCAA Track & Field Championships are here every year and their are several PAC-10/NCAA Crew meets here every year in Lake Natoma. This area is very sports friendly. Lake Tahoe, Napa and San Francisco are 90 minutes away. Yosemite is 3.5 hours away.

All in all this is a great place to live-Good Luck!
2005-07-29 1:07 PM

Sacramento is fabulous! There is plenty to do in close proximity and it's a fun city for a young adult (I'm 23). We're close to the river (fun for boating/rafting in the hot hot summers), close to Folsom Lake (water activites/picnic etc), Downtown (great new restaurants, clubs, bars, etc), NBA & WNBA teams (go Sac!), AAA baseball (Rivercats games are a blast!), Good shopping (great malls & shops in sac and surrounding areas), etc etc.

As far as where to live... it's kind of spread out where the young adults live. As a former Sac State student, I can say that a lot of the Sacramento state students live by campus in the Rosemont area. As far as recently graduated students... I would say they move towards the suburbs (roseville, folsom, citrus heights, rocklin, etc).

If you need to know anything else, just drop me a line. Good luck!
2005-07-29 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Sacramento is a great area! I moed here about 2 years ago from the San Francisco Bay Area (like a large part of the Sacramento population). It's a fairly young demographic, with everything so close. The mountains and the ocean are a 2 hour drive, and within Sac there's so much so see and do. Plus, it's a very reasonable cost of living with good wages (I make more actually than I would where I lived in the Bay Area but was actually able to afford a house).

Yes, the heat. Espeically this summer. Everyone has AC in their house though, although I'm scared to think what my SMUD bill will be this month. Whatever excuse I can get to go to the river!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sacramento, CA Rss Feed