General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Tendonosis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-30 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: Achilles Tendonosis

Got the diagnosis from my orthopedic surgeon yesterday.  I've got a pretty good lump on the back of the tendon.  The pain isn't too bad; just kind of a constant low-grade burning sensation. 

He put me in a cam boot to immobilize it and scheduled a follow-up visit in three weeks.  Doc's not optimisitic that it will be healed by then, but wants to see if there's any progress.  Probably talking a few of months.

No running, jumping, cycling, swimming, golf , etc.  I thought he might agree to swimming, but doesn't want me pushing off from the wall with my ankle, something that I hadn't considered to be honest

About the only thing left on the approved activity list (besides watching TV and drinking alcohol) is upperbody and core stuff at the gym, as long as I wear the boot.

(FWIW, my ortho is an accomplished masters swimmer and sympathetic to my plight).

The f***ing boot is going to be a major pain, but better than rupturing the tendon I suppose.

I keep reminding myself this is the right thing to do, but the next few weeks and months are going to be frustrating.

Mark

2010-09-30 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3126581

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Achilles Tendonosis

boot is better than a cast you cannot take off.  Like i said on FB put a platform pedal on the bike put the bike on the trainer and ride in the boot.  Better than nothing.

2010-09-30 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3126717

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Socks - 2010-09-30 5:02 PM

boot is better than a cast you cannot take off.  Like i said on FB put a platform pedal on the bike put the bike on the trainer and ride in the boot.  Better than nothing.

Thanks.  You're absolutely right, the boot is mucho better than a cast.  Just need to vent a bit.  Still frustrated/ticked off/depressed, especially since my "A" race was supposed to be this weekend.  I'll get over it eventually.  

I'm going to try a stationary bike at the gym on Saturday to see how it goes.      

Mark

2010-09-30 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Why do you have to push off from the wall when swimming?  That's completely optional.  And if you're not supposed to kick, then just use a pull buoy.

2010-09-30 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3127038

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

SevenZulu - 2010-09-30 7:26 PM

Why do you have to push off from the wall when swimming?  That's completely optional.  And if you're not supposed to kick, then just use a pull buoy.

Actually my doc also suggested using a pull buoy, but wants me to wait until after he sees me again in three weeks. 

Mark

2010-10-02 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I got this same diagnosis earlier this year....it sucked to have to stop doing stuff (really, really sucked, I feel your pain) ....but going through the prescribed PT and giving it time to heal worked, and I came back stronger and faster once I could train again.  FWIW my ortho told me that he'd never seen anyone with tendonosis rupture their tendon (because that was my fear)---generally those with AT are hyperaware of their tendon and protect it during activity.  He said most ruptures happened to people who weren't aware they even had an achilles and made a sudden movement that snapped it.

One thing that I did once I was able to run again was ice it when I finished workouts, and that really seemed to keep it from acting up again.  I've run some half marathons and done a half ironman this year and it hasn't hurt at all.  Now I have injured my other ankle, but that is a different story for another thread.  I realized through the process of healing that my running shoes sort of poked into my achilles, so I changed brands and that also helped....also got a gait analysis from the PT and a bike fit....so it all worked out in the end.  But still, it is awful to be told to be still when that is against your lifestyle!

Hang in there!!!

2011-01-26 1:28 PM

Achilles tendinosis, like most chronic tendon problems, can be very frustrating, and at times difficult to resolve.  One important thing to know, especially with Achilles tendinopathies, is that certain antibiotic drugs (such as Cipro, Levaquin, etc.) can increase your susceptibility to tendinosis and tendon rupture.  Here is a link to the FDA's statement on these drugs, with a specific list of drug names: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm107205.htm 

Also, here is a good website on tendon injuries in general, talking about the underlying causes and medical treatments, with references to the medical literature: http://www.tendondisorders.org/index.php
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Tendonosis Rss Feed