General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heed vs perpetium & sustained energy for HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-30 6:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Antonio
Subject: Heed vs perpetium & sustained energy for HIM
Hammer nutrition reccomends Heed for 2 hours and under, and sustained energy for anything longer than 2 hours.  

I experimented with sustained energy for the first time last week, and i liked it.  The only problem is that it complicates my electrolyte intake.  I didn't have a successfull ride because the sample pack of endurolytes i had came with 4, and i figured i didn't need more than 4 for my 50 mile ride.  It seemed a bit more difficult since i had to monitor my electrolyte levels and calorie requirements independantly (i'm used to heed).  

I'm finally able to tell when my body is running low on electrolytes (takes a few times of near dehydration to figure this out).  I havn't yet been able to tell when my calorie intake is insufficient.  I've bonked once before on a ride, but i couldn't see it coming.  I just noticed it when it hit me while trying to go up a long steep hill.

My HIM is nov 7th, which doesn't leave me with much time for experimentation on my race nutrition.  My question is, will heed do me just fine for my HIM??  My goal is to finish around 5:30. Will an addition of protein in my drink really make a difference in my performance?? IF i go with sustained energy, then that means i'll have to get endurolytes too.  Should i go for the pills? Or the powder that i can just mix in my water??

I have noticed that drinking only heed has sometimes made my stomach hurt during a long run after a 3 hr ride.  Sometimes i feel like i wanna throw up....   

Edited by funkyd04 2010-09-30 6:33 PM

2010-09-30 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3127046

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Heed vs perpetium & sustained energy for HIM
If you're comfortable with Heed, just use Heed. Perpetuem and other 'endurance' drinks usually have a little bit of protein in them, as studies have shown that for long endurance races most racers benefit from a little protein too (7:1 ratio from what I've read).

If you really feel like you could use the protein, add a little whey or soy protein to your Heed (which is mostly maltodextrin).

Also, don't concern yourself too much with a little extra salt. You don't want to go overboard obviously, but if you end up taking a little more than you think is necessary you'll be fine.

You can also save yourself a TON of money and make it yourself. Then you know exactly what you're getting.
2010-09-30 6:49 PM

User image

Master
If you like SE you will ove Perpetuem...at least I did.  It has a similar make up but also has some caffiene!
2010-09-30 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
funkyd04 - 2010-09-30 4:32 PM

I have noticed that drinking only heed has sometimes made my stomach hurt during a long run after a 3 hr ride.  Sometimes i feel like i wanna throw up....   

I think you edited while I was writing my reply Smile

Most people find that protein is harder to keep down and upsets their stomach more easily.

I haven't had any issues yet, but I grew up eating McDonalds. I can keep pretty much anything down.
2010-09-30 7:40 PM

User image

Regular
funkyd04 - 2010-09-30 7:32 PM Hammer nutrition reccomends Heed for 2 hours and under, and sustained energy for anything longer than 2 hours.  

I experimented with sustained energy for the first time last week, and i liked it.  The only problem is that it complicates my electrolyte intake.  I didn't have a successfull ride because the sample pack of endurolytes i had came with 4, and i figured i didn't need more than 4 for my 50 mile ride.  It seemed a bit more difficult since i had to monitor my electrolyte levels and calorie requirements independantly (i'm used to heed).  

I'm finally able to tell when my body is running low on electrolytes (takes a few times of near dehydration to figure this out).  I havn't yet been able to tell when my calorie intake is insufficient.  I've bonked once before on a ride, but i couldn't see it coming.  I just noticed it when it hit me while trying to go up a long steep hill.

My HIM is nov 7th, which doesn't leave me with much time for experimentation on my race nutrition.  My question is, will heed do me just fine for my HIM??  My goal is to finish around 5:30. Will an addition of protein in my drink really make a difference in my performance?? IF i go with sustained energy, then that means i'll have to get endurolytes too.  Should i go for the pills? Or the powder that i can just mix in my water??

I just did my first HIM using nothing but Heed and Hammer gels (Except on the run had a few cups of Gatorade).  I mixed 1.5 scoops per bottle. Consumed .75 bottles an hour + 1 gel at each 30 minute mark. Water was also consumed throughout the entire bike.  It worked well for me.
2010-09-30 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
First..not all Perpedtuem has caffiene...on my last HIM I used 2 bottles HEED with 1 scoop...Perpetuem paste in a gel flask (not too thick...about 2 scoops) and Hammer Gel X2 on the run...worked great for me. On long bike rides I sometimes use Perp and HEED mixed together (1 scoop each) but may be too late to experiment with that at this point. Using the HEED on the bike along with the Perp should avoid worrying too much about the Electrolytes....JMO!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heed vs perpetium & sustained energy for HIM Rss Feed