General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clothes for late Nov 50 miler? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-04 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: Clothes for late Nov 50 miler?
Apologize if someone along the way has asked this, but I'm entered in the JFK 50 miler which is in late November. I have cold weather running gear but I'm not sure it's appropriate for the Appalachian Trail portion of the run (e.g. running tights, polypropylene under layers, fleece outer shell). Same with my rain gear. Good for regular road running but kinda baggy. So, I was wondering what the experienced ultra trail runners out there would recommend for a trail race that could be cold and/or wet. Thanks!

2010-10-04 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3131073

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Clothes for late Nov 50 miler?
Think it is different for different people. Myself I have done plenty of 3 hour plus runs in -20C weather with wind and snow with nothing but tights, shorts, shortsleeve tech shirt, longsleeve tech shirt, toque, mitts. But that is only 3 hours.

I don't know. If you are doing some walking....you need something to stay warm. I know I did a 100k a couple weeks back and was surprised at how cold it got at night, and it was only 3-4 C, but after 16 hours of racing that wind felt like death.

I suppose I feel that if I am running I will be okay in just about anything, it is only when I start walking that I start to feel like crap. Not sure how far the aid stations are apart but if you can get away with not carrying a bunch of clothing and have the confidence that if you are in trouble you can throw on a windbreaker and get to the next aid station to get properly dressed that might be a good plan.
2010-10-05 4:58 AM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
sbrdave - 2010-10-04 3:18 PM

Apologize if someone along the way has asked this, but I'm entered in the JFK 50 miler which is in late November. I have cold weather running gear but I'm not sure it's appropriate for the Appalachian Trail portion of the run (e.g. running tights, polypropylene under layers, fleece outer shell). Same with my rain gear. Good for regular road running but kinda baggy. So, I was wondering what the experienced ultra trail runners out there would recommend for a trail race that could be cold and/or wet. Thanks!

I ran a 50 miler late last October and wore some fleece tights with a pair of running shorts overtop of them. I also wore a compression long sleeve top with a tight fitting cycling lightweight fleece top over that. XC ski hat and light polypro gloves finisehed out my outfit.

The weather was high 30's-low 40's for my entire 9-hour 20-minute run and I found it perfect for the whole run.

Just one person's experience in one race, but hope it helps a bit!

Good luck! I hope to run the JFK next year! Look forward to your race report!!!
2010-10-05 7:48 PM

User image

Champion
i'm keeping an eye on this one, as i think i'm running about 30 miles of that with a friend.

just my experience but the road stuff works just as well on trails, but you'll probably want a bit more warmer clothes than you normally would for the temps due to moving so much slower.
2010-10-07 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Thanks all for the replies! I've since gotten a bit more advice from a few folks who've done the JFK before. In addition, I will have a crew support person who I'll probably give other items to if I need them along the way. Plus, I'll be giving things a bit of a test on an upcoming 50K. I'll tell all in hopefully my future race report about what worked and what didn't. I'm mostly just hoping for dry weather as I can deal with the temperature. Being wet adds a different dimension, especially if it's chilly. 6+ weeks to go...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clothes for late Nov 50 miler? Rss Feed