General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-05 7:43 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout
I'm just thinking out loud here.  What is the diffence between going out for a two hour mountain bike ride VS a two hour road ride?  Would the two workouts compare?  I know a person wouldn't go as many miles in two hours on a mountain bike as they would on a road bike, but what about effort?  If a training plan calls for, say, a 60 minute ride, is there benefit of one over the other?  Or, say a person is training for a HIM and needed to do a long ride and wanted a break from the road bike and went out on the mountain bike for the same time amount that would be equal to the time it would take to say, go 40 miles on a road bike.  Just curious how, or even if, the two workouts compare.  Go easy on me...I'm still a newbie to most of this!  Smile

2010-10-05 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3134753

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: RE: Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout
I ride a hybrid MTB.  I do a lot of 20-30 mile rides these days, and have done 2 so far over 50.  On some group rides I keep within site of the faster riders, and sometimes they drop me.

I expect when I get a better bike I'll be able to go faster AND further.

Depends on the bike and REALLY depends on the rider.  I can hold my own on flats but man do I get dropped on hill climbs.  That should get easier with a 10# lighter bike with less rolling resistance etc.

I'm guessing the MTB is a tougher workout.  Pretty sure about that one.

-eric
2010-10-05 8:41 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Definitely more effort on the mountain bike (given the same terrain). Wait, given ANY terrain, it's just that on hilly uneven non-paved surfaces, you CAN ride on them with a mountain bike.

However, I love mixing it up. I can also tell you in races I'm really happy for the time I spent (even just commuting, but sometimes long rides) on a POS MTB or cruiser. If the plan calls for 60 min, high cadence, well, road bike. But just 60 min, or 60 min certain effort--mountie! mountie!
2010-10-05 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
With a given effort level and time, I wouldn't think it would matter what kind of bike you were riding, the workout would be the same.
2010-10-05 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Road rides tend to be a steady effort, mountain biking with be harder efforts and then easier efforts. On descents on a mountain they can be technical and therefore you can't push hard, on the flats you can have logs/roots/rocks that will limit your ability to push a hard effort. Really a lot depends on terrain and the strength of the rider.. I love mountain biking, but what I notice if I look at HR, it is harder to do equivalent efforts.. I am either low in the 130's or high up in the high 170s/180s, averaging out to 140s.. road rides will be close to 160s constant effort  .. also I ride a lower seat so I can do jumps/obstacles etc, this works your lower quad more than other parts of the leg, which will also impact your leg strength for road riding.   

in summary yes, there is some cross over, but I am doing a 100 mile mountain bike race and people will do road rides to work endurance 
2010-10-05 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Simons Island, GA
I don't have any personal experience with this but I have a buddy who mainly trains on a fitness bike (kind of similar to a mtn bike I think).  He typically wins or places in the masters division and is just all around fast.  I have never trained with him (I am sure I could not keep up), but in talking to him I think he spends a considerable amount of time on his fitness bike.  Maybe about the same amount of time on his fitness bike as his tri-bike.  He says that it is harder on his fitness bike and therefore a little more beneficial to his overall training.  I don't have any personal experience to corroborate, but I trust what he says.  He is one heck of a triathlete.  Hope that is helpful.

2010-10-05 9:04 PM

User image

Ventura County, California
Just looking at my heart rate data, I'm always surprised at how much lower it is on the MTB... even after you think you've done a tough ride. On the MTB, you tend to be limited by terrain and a number of other concerns not present on the road. It is MUCH easier to attain and maintain your HR in the higher zones on your road bike.

The same topic is being discussed on ST right now and there's some good info:
 http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3016544;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
2010-10-05 9:22 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Time and intensity. That's what I gauge my workouts on. The bike choice is largely insignificant for me.

Two hours on a MTB will usually take a bigger toll on your body than a two hour road ride (assuming your MTB is on the trails). You'll be using a lot more core and arms. Depending on the terrain and yoru skill level, you may have more variations in your HR during a mTB ride, as well.

As a general rule of thumb, with an "average" MTB course (not overly technical, but def. still "off raod" with climbs and descents and trickier sections)...I go with a 1:1 correspondence in terms of time. As the MTB rides get longer, they tend to count for "more." (Example: If I am preparing for a 3:30 MTB race, I may do a 3 hr. MTb ride as a long ride... but do 3:30 on the road followed by 45-60 min. on the trails as a long ride,)

Any more, I probably do half of my riding on my MTB, 1/4 on the trainer, and 1/4 on the road. I use the MTB rides as "interval" rides a lot.

Edited by mmrocker13 2010-10-05 9:23 PM
2010-10-05 9:26 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
The OP never said anything about trails verses pavement.  I don't off-road.  I was just talking about the extra effort expended to overcome extra weight and rolling resistance.

MTB != Off-road riding

And if we are talking off-road, not all rides are equal.  Some people ride all over on the MTB, some just start on a mountain and head downhill.  Either way, off-road will likely mean much more technical.

-eric 
2010-10-05 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'd say the geometry of the bike will stress the muscles in a certain way, so if you are training for a particular race, you should train on that specific bike. although using a different bike, such as a mountain bike (assuming it is fitted properly) infrequently probably won't hurt you.

the other thing is the style of riding, if you are out on the trails, single track, rocks, dirt, steep hills, etc, then it will be a different kind of training than road miles.
2010-10-05 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

During the six months prior to my first race this year I did 95% of my training on either my mountain bike (all on pavement) or my hybrid. During that race I averaged over 2 mph faster than my best race last year, and this was with a strong headwind. I think time in the saddle is time in the saddle.

Make sure you do enough training on your tri bike so that you're comfortable in the aero position, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much about on what kind of bike you're training.

2010-10-06 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3134945

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
faded_memories - 2010-10-05 10:26 PM The OP never said anything about trails verses pavement.  I don't off-road.  I was just talking about the extra effort expended to overcome extra weight and rolling resistance.

MTB != Off-road riding

And if we are talking off-road, not all rides are equal.  Some people ride all over on the MTB, some just start on a mountain and head downhill.  Either way, off-road will likely mean much more technical.

-eric 

Well it is kind of ambiguous as the OP stated a mountain bike ride, not a road ride on their mountain bike.

For a mountain bike ride to be similar to a road bike ride, the terrain would have to be pretty easy, otherwise the power requirements will be all over the place on the mountain bike ride, going 120-130% FTP frequently to go over walls/other technical features, and lots of no power sections when you go down hill.

2010-10-06 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3134906

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
TaylorB - 2010-10-05 9:04 PM

Just looking at my heart rate data, I'm always surprised at how much lower it is on the MTB... even after you think you've done a tough ride. On the MTB, you tend to be limited by terrain and a number of other concerns not present on the road. It is MUCH easier to attain and maintain your HR in the higher zones on your road bike.

The same topic is being discussed on ST right now and there's some good info:
 http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3016544;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

My experience is completely opposite. My HR is much higher on the MTB over similar periods of time. I think it has something to do with the adrenaline involved in tackleing technical terrain. I like the MTB for strength because you get a lot of short steep climbs as opposed to more steady climbs on the road bike. Trails seem to have a lot more elevation gain as well over shorter distances than roads do. That depends on the geography a bit, but generally I find you'll do more overall climbing in the trails. Then when you're done with the climbing you give your legs a pounding on the technical sections. Even downhills can be draining.
2010-10-06 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
One more thing......

As a mountain bike racer and triathlete I find great benefit to MTB riding. Using it for strength training for the legs works great. I believe it makes me faster when I mix up MTB rides and long endurance rides on the road or tri bike. But with reward comes great risk. I get hurt a lot more on the MTB and that has effected my triathlon training/racing at times.
2010-10-06 9:04 AM

User image

Elite
Just to clarify...I meant a mountain bike ride out on dirt trails or hard packed mountain roads with climbs and downhills. 
2010-10-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3134784

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
faded_memories - 2010-10-05 9:08 PM I ride a hybrid MTB.  I do a lot of 20-30 mile rides these days, and have done 2 so far over 50.  On some group rides I keep within site of the faster riders, and sometimes they drop me.

Depends on the bike and REALLY depends on the rider.  I can hold my own on flats but man do I get dropped on hill climbs.  That should get easier with a 10# lighter bike with less rolling resistance etc.

-eric

I don't know what your situation is but I have a Cannondale Hybrid that I have been using for my tri's Looking back I should have at least bought a road bike but when I bought the hybrid I never thought I would get the tri fever.

Anyway. I have change my tires to a thinner high pressure tire and I put on clip on Aero Bars and clipless pedals. My time has been very good vs. the road bikes in many races. I will continue to use this bike until I can afford a road or tri bike.

But back to the MTN vs. Road Bike. I think you would get a better workout with the MTN bike because you have to work harder.

2010-10-06 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3135674

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Mister Mike - 2010-10-06 9:07 AM

faded_memories - 2010-10-05 9:08 PM I ride a hybrid MTB.  I do a lot of 20-30 mile rides these days, and have done 2 so far over 50.  On some group rides I keep within site of the faster riders, and sometimes they drop me.

-eric

I don't know what your situation is but I have a Cannondale Hybrid that I have been using for my tri's Looking back I should have at least bought a road bike but when I bought the hybrid I never thought I would get the tri fever.

Anyway. I have change my tires to a thinner high pressure tire and I put on clip on Aero Bars and clipless pedals. My time has been very good vs. the road bikes in many races. I will continue to use this bike until I can afford a road or tri bike.

But back to the MTN vs. Road Bike. I think you would get a better workout with the MTN bike because you have to work harder.

I don't know about "better" You could do an intense spinerval workout or do some short intense interval work and simulate it on the road. This, to me, is boring and makes me not want to be on the bike. By doing on the MTB and navigating terrain it makes the workout fun and makes me want to do more.
2010-10-06 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3135486

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Meulen - 2010-10-06 8:30 AM

My experience is completely opposite. My HR is much higher on the MTB over similar periods of time.

Same for me.

My average HR is always much higher for a Mountain Bike ride than it is on a road ride for an equivalent amount of time and perceived effort. I am sure it has a lot to do with all of the short steep climbs and then never really being able to just relax and freewheel on descents.

I do a lot of my Mtn Bike rides on somewhat technical terrain, so you never really get a chance to zone out like you do sometimes on a long road ride.

That said, I love the fall/winter time period where I get out on the Mtn Bike at least once a week. I think it is a great compliment to road riding and helps with the boredom of winter training. I am always amazed that it takes a while to get back in Mtn Bike shape once I start riding it again in the fall. It definitely is somewhat of a apples to oranges scenario for me vs riding on the road.
2010-10-06 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3135698

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
rventuri - 2010-10-06 9:15 AM

Meulen - 2010-10-06 8:30 AM

My experience is completely opposite. My HR is much higher on the MTB over similar periods of time.

That said, I love the fall/winter time period where I get out on the Mtn Bike at least once a week. I think it is a great compliment to road riding and helps with the boredom of winter training. I am always amazed that it takes a while to get back in Mtn Bike shape once I start riding it again in the fall. It definitely is somewhat of a apples to oranges scenario for me vs riding on the road.

I've always been told a good mountain biker can be a good roadie, but a good roadie cannot be a good mountain biker. I've found this true as well. At my peak road period this year I was very strong on the road. Some of my mtb friends couldn't keep up with me at all on the road. In the trails I fell back, to those same peeps. The rides were maybe 2 weeks apart. I neglected trail riding during that time and my MTB fitness suffered. Not only did I lack the technical skills but I was sucking wind big time!
2010-10-06 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
I race off-road as well as road tris so I ride my mtn bike at least once a week.  As others have said  my heart rate is always higher on the mtn bike.  That ride is always my hardest bike ride of the week.  I consider myself a very good mtn biker and New England terrain is very technical a majority of the time.  a two hour hard road ride and a two hour hard mtn ride will both be close to equivalent for me on perceived effort.  An easy road ride and an easy mtn bike ride will not compare at all though.  On the easy road ride I can keep my heart rate and power low and consistent the whole time.  On the mtn bike you will still have the power and heart rate spikes even when the overall ride is on the easy side.  If you want a long tempo ride stick to the road bike, or if you have rail-trails the mtn bike would be a viable option.

On a side note I try to convince everyone that they should ride as many different bikes year round as they possibly can.  It keeps me more mentally motivated and if your bikes are set up correctly there should not be that big of a diffence in your position....upper body yes, lower body no.
2010-10-06 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3136480

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm going to go out on a limb here.  But if the OP said they ride on a hybrid MTB and do 20-30 and even a couple 50 mile rides, I assume they are talking on the ROAD.

I'm no slouch on the MTB, and a 50 mile day is a LONG day out on the single track, IMO.  20-30 is a serious workout as well...

SO much depends on what you are doing, BUT, an average hour on my MTB is harder than an average hour on my Road bike.  It "feels" like twice the workout, to be honest.

Road biking is much more steady.  Just pedal and go. HR stay constant pretty much.  You can control it on the ascents and push the desents.

Riding trails, I see the HR doing much larger swings.  I spike during techinical climbs and it drops to recovery zones when doing some technical descents where I pretty much can't pedal, but just ride it down.

I think MTBing works more strength in you legs than road biking.  I need to create a lot more power in spurts on the trails to get over nasty terrian.

Another example:  For ME..  A sprint XTERRA takes as long and is as much effort as an Oly on the road.  An oly distance XTERRA feels about as hard as an HIM on the road.

2010-10-06 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3136480

User image

Sensei
Sin City
offrhodes - 2010-10-06 10:55 AM I race off-road as well as road tris so I ride my mtn bike at least once a week.  As others have said  my heart rate is always higher on the mtn bike.  That ride is always my hardest bike ride of the week.  I consider myself a very good mtn biker and New England terrain is very technical a majority of the time.  a two hour hard road ride and a two hour hard mtn ride will both be close to equivalent for me on perceived effort.  An easy road ride and an easy mtn bike ride will not compare at all though.  On the easy road ride I can keep my heart rate and power low and consistent the whole time.  On the mtn bike you will still have the power and heart rate spikes even when the overall ride is on the easy side.  If you want a long tempo ride stick to the road bike, or if you have rail-trails the mtn bike would be a viable option.

On a side note I try to convince everyone that they should ride as many different bikes year round as they possibly can.  It keeps me more mentally motivated and if your bikes are set up correctly there should not be that big of a diffence in your position....upper body yes, lower body no.

I agree with everything above.
2010-10-06 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Wheaton, IL
I used to strictly ride mtb, had a serious distain w. sharing the road. However, now my spring and summers are primarily spent on the road since that is what I need the most for racing. That being said, I look forward to the fall and winter when I can dust off the cross and mtb bikes. I, too, have a higher HR on these bikes, but find that my bike handling skills increase much faster when blazing through singletrack compared to riding in a pack on the road.

I completely agree w. the poster that said it's a good mental challenge, as well. I find that although I know I will be slower on the mtb or cyclocross bike, I still try and match my road times and speed. It's a good motivator as the weather turns.

And, even though I have had some cool road rides, there is nothing like an epic mtb ride in Durango, California, Moab, etc. to feel like alittle kid again....haha. That is sometimes motivation in itself to switch bikes.

Best of luck!
2010-10-06 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3136510

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Kido - 2010-10-06 1:07 PM I'm going to go out on a limb here.  But if the OP said they ride on a hybrid MTB and do 20-30 and even a couple 50 mile rides, I assume they are talking on the ROAD.

That was me, not the OP BTW...and yes, I was speaking of riding on a road.  Original post was a little ambiguous to start, clarified later.  OP was talking about off-road, and both types have been discussed now.

-eric
2010-10-06 9:47 PM

User image

Elite
Thanks for all the great input!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout Rss Feed  

of 2