General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got the Powermeter...now to set goals for FTP improvement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-07 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3136742

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Got the Powermeter...now to set goals for FTP improvement
thanks for the more in depth answer.

And i'd imagine as with most repeatable types of testing that even if someone were able to hold one distance better (whether due to pacing, liking one, etc etc), that having it be easily repeatable and allowing you to track a trend one way or the other matters more than having it be 100% exact (not that it isn't more for arrguments sake).

thanks again.

2010-10-08 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3135360

User image

Master
Baltimore
I set my power goals (with intermediates) in my blog.  Basically it's:
11/1/10 265 W3.64 W/kg
 11/29/102733.75
1/3/112802.85
2/7/112863.93
3/14/11  291

I used the test dates for JorgeM's winter plan as where my intermediate test points fall.  I'll probably be maintenance only a couple weeks during the plan for work travel, so the dates will get stretched out a bit for the final goal FTP (I also gave myself an extra couple weeks of hard training).  Too agressive?  Do I need more time to get to that final goal wattage?  I wasn't sure how long "winter" is.  I got some advice from a coach to do "oly" type training (holding off on long endourance type workouts and focusing on speed) until an early season Oly I'll do in April, then transition to more endurance work leading to a HIM "A" race mid June (Eagleman).

Two questions: Will I need more time?  If yes, would the April (about 1 more month) race be long enough to build FTP to where I want it (or will I need even more time)?  Obviously, it depends, but I'm more looking for if March is a reasonable amount of time to get there or if it's a no chance in heck in that time.
2010-10-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3140484

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
jsiegs - 2010-10-08 8:20 AM I set my power goals (with intermediates) in my blog.  Basically it's:
11/1/10 265 W3.64 W/kg
 11/29/102733.75
1/3/112802.85
2/7/112863.93
3/14/11  291

I used the test dates for JorgeM's winter plan as where my intermediate test points fall.  I'll probably be maintenance only a couple weeks during the plan for work travel, so the dates will get stretched out a bit for the final goal FTP (I also gave myself an extra couple weeks of hard training).  Too agressive?  Do I need more time to get to that final goal wattage?  I wasn't sure how long "winter" is.  I got some advice from a coach to do "oly" type training (holding off on long endourance type workouts and focusing on speed) until an early season Oly I'll do in April, then transition to more endurance work leading to a HIM "A" race mid June (Eagleman).

Two questions: Will I need more time?  If yes, would the April (about 1 more month) race be long enough to build FTP to where I want it (or will I need even more time)?  Obviously, it depends, but I'm more looking for if March is a reasonable amount of time to get there or if it's a no chance in heck in that time.

The obvious answer is: you'll have to try it and find out... There is no way around it; you can plan all you want and try have a realistic goal but until you start logging the hours, doing the workouts and experiencing how you can recover, how much you can train, how you cope with other training and life activities, etc. you won't know.

Or to quote the Nike ad department who come up with it: "Just do it"
2010-10-08 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3140852

User image

Master
Baltimore
JorgeM - 2010-10-08 11:27 AM
jsiegs - 2010-10-08 8:20 AM I set my power goals (with intermediates) in my blog.  Basically it's:
11/1/10 265 W3.64 W/kg
 11/29/102733.75
1/3/112802.85
2/7/112863.93
3/14/11  291

The obvious answer is: you'll have to try it and find out... There is no way around it; you can plan all you want and try have a realistic goal but until you start logging the hours, doing the workouts and experiencing how you can recover, how much you can train, how you cope with other training and life activities, etc. you won't know.

Or to quote the Nike ad department who come up with it: "Just do it"

haha, yeah, yeah, yeah.  I guess i'm just used to Gov't work, where I have to make plans/budgets/strategies/schedules for everything, sometimes pulled from thin air.  I will admit though, having all that, even if the endpoint is impossible, is very good for keeping on task and focused and getting as close as possible to what you wanted to do.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got the Powermeter...now to set goals for FTP improvement Rss Feed  

of 2