Overall Rank = 12/21
Age Group = 20 - 40
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Swim
  • 19m 1s
  • 650 meters
  • 02m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a disapointing swim but atleast my swim pace has improved since last race. And in the last race the water was a lot calmer. What through me off most was that I kept bucking into other swimmers. When ever that happened I lost my rythm. The water was dark also which I am not used to having done all my training in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Get used to swimming in open water, swim clear of other swimmers. It would be good if I could get a bunch of guys together to do a few race simulations on the weekends.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I think I had a good transition eventough I almost forgot my power gel. I managed to get on my bike before the two guys who got out of the water before me.
Organizers did not give any transition time.

I hadn't really practiced any transitions so I guess with some practice I could get better at this. Want to try and practice getting shoes on after getting on the bike.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

After I jumped on my bike I could have gone harder but I saw that my HR was higher than normal so I figured I'd start off easy and wait for the guy behind me cause he looked like a strong cyclist. I figured we could work together to try and make up some time. But after a few miles riding with him I realized that I was doing most of the work. I pulled over to the left after a long turn and waited for him to take over but he didn't so I asked him if he wasn't going to take his turn. He looked as if he had cracked and told me to go without him so at that point I just went on on my own.
No split time given for bike but at the end of the bike segment I was at 1:06:35

Ride harder and wait for no one.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I had misunderstood the course. Instead of checking what the exact course was I went by what I had heard on the radio. I tought I would have been finish after the first loop so at about 400 meters or so from passing the tranistion point the first time I went with everything I had left only to find out that I had one more smaller loop left to run. That really hurt and I struggled the rest of the way to the finish. Also on that same final loop was when I lost my 10th place position. I could have finished in the top ten if I had paid attention to the course description handed to me just a few minutes before the race.

I'd make sure I know exactly what the course is before race day.
Post race
Warm down:

none

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad pre-race nutrition. Nervousness.

Event comments:

Race organizers need to get there act together. They gave me a race number that was already given to someone else. I did not realize this until we were already lined up getting ready for the start. I was called up out of the water to get my number changed. I had to swimming arround to the steps climb out, get my number changed then jump back in the water at which point they wasted no time to start without giving me a chance to catch my breath. I think that was a little unfair and given the fact that I was already a nervous wreck, it only made matters worst. So on the swim I decided I was going to just take it easy so my HR could normalize but that never happened.

No split times were taken, no transition time. No post race activities. Poorly planned.

When I got my results they had me finishing in 12th place but there was also one other person in 12th place even though she finished several minutes after me. Also, the my overall time was about 3 minutes more than I clocked using my HR monitor. Could it be they started timing the race 3 minutes before the actual start? I don't doubt it at all.

Last updated: 2005-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:01 | 650 meters | 02m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 13/21
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: rectangular course
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 15 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/21
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/21
Performance:
Course: The course went from the the trasition point down into a loop then back pass the transition point up for a shorter loop about 3/4 mile then finish at the transition point.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-07-27 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: Sprint Triathlon

2005-08-02 7:41 AM
in reply to: #208823

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Sprint Triathlon

Congrats David!  Sounds like a logistical nightmare of a race though.....and is drafting legal?  It isn't in the US typically. 

Regardless, you did great!  Nice work....better to go by your own watch!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed