Set-Up, Inc
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 48s
Overall Rank = 196/243
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 48/59
Pre-race routine:

Luckily my in-laws live in Waxhaw and actually live about 10 minutes from the race site. We decided to go up Friday night and spend the night with them, so I wouldn't have to drag the family out at O'dark Thirty! Woke up about 5:15am...had a sandwich thin with Peanut Butter and then went to the race site to get my packet and get everything set up.
Event warmup:

Not much warm up (which may be why I started cramping toward the end of the race). I got my transition area set up, ate a protein bar, drank some water, hit the porta potty, met my wife and spent the rest of the morning talking with friends before the race start. I stretched a little bit, but I need to work a little bit harder at getting my body ramped up!
Swim
  • 23m 16s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a complete disaster! As soon as I started, I got nailed 2 or 3 times and started to wig out a little bit. I slowed up and waited for the pack to go ahead of me and then tried to get in a good rhythmn. Unfortunatley it didn't work. I decided to get to the yellow buoy and then grabbed on to a kayak there for about 3 minutes to get my composure. I had a nice conversation with the guy in the kayak and he really helped me settle down. After that I dug in and tried to get in a rhythmn. This is when my navigation skills fell apart. I was all over the course, but eventually I finished realizing that I need alot more open water experience and advanced swim lessons!
What would you do differently?:

Everything! I just need to get more comfortable in the water. Advanced swim lessons are definately on the agenda this off season, and I need to continue to practice in open water to increase my level of comfort.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Decent transition. Since I didn't have a wetsuit to contend with it was pretty easy. Had a little trouble clicking my helmet on, but other than that it was pretty decent. I had a little trouble getting into my bike cages as well.

Make sure I have my helmet set up so I can click in easier. I need to practice getting into my bike cages...or move to clipless pedals.
Bike
  • 52m 14s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 16.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent ride but I just never got into a good groove. I could get up to about 25mph on the downhills, but I really struggled on the uphill sections. I need to do alot more hillwork and really work on keeping a good cadence throughout the entire ride. I found myself having to get out of my seat on hills because I would lose all my momentum.

Really focus on my bike riding! I'm sure there are alot of things I am doing wrong. I just need to figure out the best way to train and get some more time on the road....especially hill work!
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Easy transition for me since I was biking in my running shoes. Racked it, grabbed a drink, grabbed my number and I was off!

Not much here...all was pretty decent....just do it a little quicker!
Run
  • 28m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my strongest leg but it took me a while to get into a good groove. Once I did, my left calf and hamstring started cramping up pretty bad. I gritted my teeth and eventually worked it out. Not a bad run overall, but I could have done alot better had I not been cramping.

Take in more fluids in the bike ride. This may have caused the cramping.
Post race
Warm down:

Went over to the massage tent and the lady worked out my cramps and IT Band. That felt really great! I have a feeling I would be in more pain if I didn't get the massage. Had a couple of candy bars and a coke and then headed home. Obviously no hardware today!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I beleive it was a combination of things. We went on a family vacation the week before, I still trained, but ate and drank like vacationers would normally do. I diefinately felt in better shape at my last race.

Event comments:

Nice event....great location!

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:16 | 820 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 53/59
Overall: 220/243
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: The course was a beach start which went about 375m out to a yellow bouy and then finished up at a boat launch.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:14 | 14.5 miles | 16.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/59
Overall: 193/243
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: This course was supposed to start off with some rollers and then flatten out toward the end of the ride. I don't remember seeing any flat spots to be honest with you! Tough course with a lot of tough hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:43 | 03.11 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/59
Overall: 151/243
Performance: Average
Course: This was a 2 loop out and back (downhill one way and uphill the other).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes