General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st HIM done, next one in Feb, same plan again? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-11 10:08 PM

User image

Expert
Leicester
Subject: 1st HIM done, next one in Feb, same plan again?
I just took a week off after my first HIM and I'm itching to get working again.

I have another HIM planned for Feb 2011 and am signed up for IMWI 2011 also.

My question is where to start?
I think going back to 2 - 3 weeks into the 20 week BT plan (just to make it fit Feb) seems a little too far backwards.

Bike is strongest, with swim next and run is my worst.
I have thought about run plans for a couple of months, but have no run races planned before Feb, yet.

2010-10-12 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3146375

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: 1st HIM done, next one in Feb, same plan again?

That's always a tough call...

I am sort of in the belief that going back to the beginning is good for the body.  Give it some rest from the long weeks/months you had prior to the last HIM.  You can attack those low volume weeks with much more energy than the previous go around...

However, I agree that reducing volume too much feels uneasy since you will lose some of your base.

I end up making a compromise.  I go back to the early weeks and make sure I follow the plan AND add in some extra workouts that just feel fun.  That usually means a couple extra MTB rides or trail runs.  Maybe s/b/r longer than the workout suggested, but only to the point it stop being "fun" and turn into a workout.  Make sense?

It's a good time to get more joy back into my training instead of them being just workouts...

2010-10-12 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3147291

User image

Champion
or, you could jump back into the plan (if you want to use it), but with a higher run volume for the first half.

This would allow you to get in a much larger run base through the first half when the volumes in the other two sports are lower, will have a higher training load than first time around (assuming you are ready for that), and still get in the work in the other two sports while focusing on the weakness.
2010-10-14 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3146375

User image

Expert
Leicester
I guess both these replies make sense, thanks.

I think Newbz idea of the extra being 'run' would benefit me most as run is where I suck most.

Time for some new run shoes me thinks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st HIM done, next one in Feb, same plan again? Rss Feed