General Discussion Race Reports! » Orange County International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Orange County International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mission Viejo, California
United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 38s
Overall Rank = 35/614
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/57
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:10. Shower and shave. One Cup of Oatmeal with Honey and a banana. Stretch for about 20 minutes. Got in car to meet Lar Dog and Quinton at FloJo Park.
Event warmup:

Streched at home. Rode bike about 1/2 mile to T1. Went for a run with Quinton and Fabi. Maybe half mile. Did extra streching of calf. Used Restrooms repeatedly.
Swim
  • 23m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Course ran longer than last year as my time last year was 22' without wetsuit. Everyones time was longer. Start was great with no kicking or being hit. Started out in front. Had swimmers on my far right and left so I was in the middle. Found a guy on my left that was swimming the same speed so I slowed and then drafted off him at about the half way to the first buoy point. Stayed with him until about 2/3 of the way. Rounded buoys great! Used the backstroke method. Drafting allowed me to not worry about running into the slower swimmers since I just followed the feet. breathing was good and swim felt very comfortable. Could have gone a little harder but felt good coming out of water. Hit it just right.
What would you do differently?:

Practice with my wetsuit prior to swim to make sure it was soaked and primed. Wetsuits should be soacked or used prior to a race. They act like a sponge.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

T1 went great and was one of my fatest T1 times. 16 seconds faster than last year and that was with no wetsuit. Horrible mounting of Bike. Bike mount line was a little confusing and I had Pete yelling at me. I couldn't get my shoes upright and they were dragging and I had to actually stop to get things right.

Gotta mount the bike better.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 20s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Only 19 seconds faster than last year so that was a little disappointing. I had a hard time getting my HR up and just didn't feel like I had "Bike" legs. Stayed in Aero for most of the time and was riding out in front. I was passed by guy in my AG on the flat heading out to Irvine Lake. Kept him in sight and caught and passed him on way back. There was no one to legally draft off.

Harder effort with HR up in 160s.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Martha with Tri Lavie said my dismount was picture perfect and everything else seemed good. Last year it took me 1:17 so almost cut time in half. I wear socks and put them on in T1.

Nothing.
Run
  • 42m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was going awesome and then at mile three my calf blew. I stopped and walked, prayed and then decided to keep going since I was having such a good race. I figured I lost about 1 minute due to this. Calf continued to hurt until top of Vista Del Lago and then I just ignored the pain and kept going. At the turnaround on Margaurette, I saw that no one was close and was going to shut it down a little but then I was thinking about the overall Tri Series and turned it up to FINISH STRONG. That was the difference as I won the overall OC Tri Series by 4 seconds. God is Good!

Nothing. Not have a calf injury I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around. Put legs up for 3 minutes. Stacy brought me my post race drink and I got that in right away. Streched and got ice on the calf.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right calf.

Event comments:

Need Gatorade on run, not just water. Awards took way to long. Start with the AGs and then do the BOUS and the younger AGs.

Last updated: 2010-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/57
Overall: 0/614
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU - Velocity 1
Course: Mission Viejo Lake.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:06:20 | 24.85 miles | 22.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/57
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly with some fast flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:10 | 06.21 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/57
Course: First 2.5 miles slight downhill and then it is hills and hills and Vista Del Lago! Hard run course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-13 11:02 AM

User image

New user

Lake Forest, California
Subject: Orange County International Triathlon

2010-10-14 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3149652

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Subject: RE: Orange County International Triathlon
Awesome race and great job on the OC Tri series! Hope the calf recovers well and quick.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Orange County International Triathlon Rss Feed