General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Supination! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-14 1:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Subject: Supination!

Hey everyone,

I think i have figured out why my IT band and knee problem wont seem to go away.

I am beginning to think that I land on the outside of my foot when I run and even when I am just walking. Has anyone dealt with this and improved their walking/running habits?

How did you do it?

I appreciate all the help,

Thank you,

2010-10-14 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3151147

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Supination!

I would start with a gait analysis at a running store. The answer may be as simple as some running shoes with support.

i hava a slight over pronation which was identified by gait analysis which was causing hip pain after every run. the store recommended a support shoe and my hip problems were solved.

2010-10-16 6:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I went to a more minimalist shoe to alleviate my problems. I now run all distances in basically a neutral light trainer (saucony fastwitch). Sometimes you can buy into this supination/pronation correction stuff that the shoe companies dish out that it does more harm than good. I assume you've been walking this way for years and years and years. Changing it now could be even more harmful. I'm not in the shoeless running camp but I do believe that a lot of these stability shoes are just unneeded junk. Try it out and see if it's for you.

Jamie
2010-10-18 2:50 AM
in reply to: #3155505

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Thank Jamie,

Another idea crept into my head from a different forum.  I might have supination issues right now because of my IT band issues in the recent past.  I only noticed that i started supinating recently, few months maybe.  So now correcting the IT band issue and going the shoe minimalist approach, hopefully i will get it fixed.

Thank you for your advice!
2010-10-18 6:28 AM

Def agree with going to get gait analysis- they can then tailor make your shoe to correct any mal-alignment...it will pay off in the future to prevent early OA etc. 

If the IT problem is very bad a foam rollor that you can simple lie across and massage your IT zone works wonders- I was having trouble walking up stairs after long runs and now have no problems! Yoga is also helping to stretch out those hard to reach areas.

Good Luck!

Life Rocks,
www.liferocks.org.uk 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Supination! Rss Feed