General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Coach vs Training Plan vs Coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-14 3:18 PM

Subject: Self Coach vs Training Plan vs Coach
Hello,

I've been training for triathlon for about 2 years and for the last 6 months have a had a coach who writes me up programmes and I can email as much as I want. I like having a coach but it is costing me about $15 a week to have one and I'm thinking I could do without one.

I think I would know enough to write up my own training plans and to adjust it when I need to. I'll write them up based on my past programmes from my coach.

Do you think it's best to write up my own training plans, or get a generic plan from the likes of this website or stick it out with the coach?

Any advice.

2010-10-14 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3152771

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Self Coach vs Training Plan vs Coach

I think it varies from person to person, but I think a good coach is always going to be the "best" if you're looking for the best outcome and can afford it.  This is assuming the person knows what they're, doing of course. 

For what it's worth, I think $15/week is inexpensive for that kind of service.

Of course you can muddle through just fine on your own.  It would depend on your commitment to researching the sport, your ability to understand training methods, and if you can motivate yourself.  I personally cannot do those things and this would be better off with a coach. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-10-14 3:25 PM
2010-10-14 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3152786

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

If you decide not to use a coach, I think the best best option is to use a plan written by someone who has the skills and can be found here on BT or in other resources.  I think that would be superior to writing your own unless you are an expert in the area.

2010-10-14 3:29 PM

Well I'm no expert.

I think I've already made up my mind that I'll stick with the coach but just wanting to see how people liked their own plans after leaving a coach, etc.
2010-10-14 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Flying Kiwi - 2010-10-14 1:18 PM Hello,

I've been training for triathlon for about 2 years and for the last 6 months have a had a coach who writes me up programmes and I can email as much as I want. I like having a coach but it is costing me about $15 a week to have one and I'm thinking I could do without one.

I think I would know enough to write up my own training plans and to adjust it when I need to. I'll write them up based on my past programmes from my coach.

Do you think it's best to write up my own training plans, or get a generic plan from the likes of this website or stick it out with the coach?

Any advice.

It's really up to you. Coaches can be nice because they can give structure to your training, help when you get in a rut, advice on avoiding injuries, etc. If you can get this structure, advice and motivation on your own then you may not need a training coach.

I don't have a coach, but I do spend a lot of time researching the different disciplines and structuring my training plan based on what I need to work on. I have my own motivation, and I get a lot of great advice on BT. Not everyone has the desire to do this.
2010-10-14 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3152792

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Flying Kiwi - 2010-10-14 1:29 PM Well I'm no expert.

I think I've already made up my mind that I'll stick with the coach but just wanting to see how people liked their own plans after leaving a coach, etc.

Are you progressing in your abilities? Are you getting to where you want to be? If so, then your coach is doing his/her job. If not, then it is time to look at alternatives such as other coaches, training plans, or self planning.

A training plan can be a good alternative, but it's the same recipe for everyone. You either need a coach to tweak it, or rely on your own knowledge to tweak it.

Making your own, that requires at least some knowledge of the training principles, periodization, build/recovery phases, workout structure, etc etc.

Many people do just fine winging it, or adapting training plans. You just need to figure out if what you are getting out of the $15/week (And I agree, that's a low price) is worth it.

FWIW, I'm educated in all of the above, and I'm shopping for a coach right now because I'm not motivated enough to write a good training plan for myself, and I'd rather leave all that to someone else. Unless I started paying myself...hrm... :D

John

2010-10-14 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
I'm not certain how much you can really get of a "coach" for $15/week. That sounds more like someone that is just posting a training plan for you. A coach gives feedback on your workouts, adjusts the workouts based on your training files (Garmin, PowerTap, etc.) and has planned out a full season of base, build, taper, and peaking for your A races. They also help you determine what are your goals, nutrition plans, blah blah blah. My coach spends over an hour/week creating plans and conversing with me (email and phone, actually probably even more with the emails.) I really can't see getting all of that for $15/week. Mine is pretty cheap and I pay $150/month (I have a 12 month commitment, if I had a shorter commitment, it would be $180/mo) If I wanted more time/interaction/more frequent updates to my training plan, it would go up in price too.
2010-10-15 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3153419

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
lodewey - 2010-10-14 10:35 PM I'm not certain how much you can really get of a "coach" for $15/week. That sounds more like someone that is just posting a training plan for you. A coach gives feedback on your workouts, adjusts the workouts based on your training files (Garmin, PowerTap, etc.) and has planned out a full season of base, build, taper, and peaking for your A races. They also help you determine what are your goals, nutrition plans, blah blah blah. My coach spends over an hour/week creating plans and conversing with me (email and phone, actually probably even more with the emails.) I really can't see getting all of that for $15/week. Mine is pretty cheap and I pay $150/month (I have a 12 month commitment, if I had a shorter commitment, it would be $180/mo) If I wanted more time/interaction/more frequent updates to my training plan, it would go up in price too.

Note:  I'm not picking on you Lodewey.

The bolded above, I believe, is a big fallacy that many people have.  Just because you are paying someone a lot of money does not mean that you are getting a good service.  While I agree that $15/week is cheap perhaps it's a coach that is just starting out and wants to prove themself.  I've still got clients that trusted me with their training when I knew absolutely nothing (now I know a bit above nothing) and have stayed at that price point.

In short:  $$$ does not equal quality.
2010-10-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3153765

User image

Champion
Marvarnett - 2010-10-15 6:35 AM

lodewey - 2010-10-14 10:35 PM I'm not certain how much you can really get of a "coach" for $15/week. That sounds more like someone that is just posting a training plan for you. A coach gives feedback on your workouts, adjusts the workouts based on your training files (Garmin, PowerTap, etc.) and has planned out a full season of base, build, taper, and peaking for your A races. They also help you determine what are your goals, nutrition plans, blah blah blah. My coach spends over an hour/week creating plans and conversing with me (email and phone, actually probably even more with the emails.) I really can't see getting all of that for $15/week. Mine is pretty cheap and I pay $150/month (I have a 12 month commitment, if I had a shorter commitment, it would be $180/mo) If I wanted more time/interaction/more frequent updates to my training plan, it would go up in price too.

Note: I'm not picking on you Lodewey.

The bolded above, I believe, is a big fallacy that many people have. Just because you are paying someone a lot of money does not mean that you are getting a good service. While I agree that $15/week is cheap perhaps it's a coach that is just starting out and wants to prove themself. I've still got clients that trusted me with their training when I knew absolutely nothing (now I know a bit above nothing) and have stayed at that price point.

In short: $$$ does not equal quality.

Agreed. My first coach was a phenominal athlete and coach and we worked together for two years. ended up moving on for personal reasons, but he was amazing and has just put 4 athletes through worlds and some solid placings (one of them won his age group there).
He charged 85 a month then. It was not his full time job, he was/is an engineer, and just did this for fun on the side.

I would take a close look at someone that cheap because as many have pointed out, its not the norm, but that also does not mean they are not a great coach.

For the OP, i was coached for 3 seasons, and am now totally self coached, or with the advice/input of others.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Coach vs Training Plan vs Coach Rss Feed