General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from the STL (St. Louis, MO. that is) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-20 11:29 AM

St. Peters
Subject: Hello from the STL (St. Louis, MO. that is)
First time in the forum......However I have been using the site for some time now and have to say it has helped me alot.  From the articles, trainning programs, and the Forums, it has definately helped me to realize my weight loss goals and compeditive goals for 2010 and for next year.

Can anyone recommend a good off-season running program to gain some speed ??  Too much on the internet and am looking for some simple drills that can help.   Thanks !! 

2010-10-20 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3162545

User image

Veteran
Perry, Missouri
Subject: RE: Hello from the STL (St. Louis, MO. that is)
NICE another Missourian!!!! and welcome to BT
2010-10-21 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Welcome to BT!  I'm not too far from you - just over in O'Fallon. 

What kind of drills are you looking for?  I did some group speedwork with Fleet Feet over the summer and enjoyed their program.  If you go to their website it gives a general idea of the program although the specifics aren't posted right now.  Here's some examples of workouts that we did:

Straight 8's:  6x800 on 7 min starts (this one was my favoriteSmile)
Pyramids:  400,800,1200,1200,800,400 on specific time starts
Step-ups: 2x400, 2x800, 2x1200 on specific time starts

Each interval starts at a specific time (like every 7 minutes for the 800's).  So if you finish your 800 in 4 min, you'd have a 3 min recovery until the next one.  Some people would jog the recoveries, some walked, some just waited - depending on fitness level.  Not sure if something like this is what you were looking for, but they're nice workouts, especially if you have a HS track that you can use for them.  And even a slowpoke like me gained a little bit of "speed" from themLaughing
2010-10-21 7:44 PM

Lake St. Louis

Bgrabowski welcome to BT.  I am also pretty close to you.  I am over here in Lake St. Louis.  I am also new to the forum and new to triathlons, but I am not new to running.  I also coach at a local high school.  What kind of drills are you looking for.  The ones already mentioned that Fleet Feet uses are all good workouts.  I also am a big fan of fartlek running.  Even simply doing strides at the end of a workout can help a little bit with speed.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

2010-10-22 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3165371

St. Peters

Thanks !!!  Yes that is helpfull....This is pretty similar to what I have seen on other websites (and gotten from others).   I'm have been known to run a 8:00/mi and am not looking to go much faster, but to do better than 8:00/mi.

Also good to know there are other in the local area !!!  

2010-10-22 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3165988

St. Peters
UTMRunner-----Fartlek Running ???  That is something I am not familiar with.   Right now, Track work is the way I planned on going during the winter as it is just easier but a good time to do it.   Also want to make it part of my normal running routine (at least once per week) but there is just too much out there to know what migh work.

If you can give a brief explanation of Fartlek, I am all ears...

2010-10-22 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3167218

User image

Regular
Kirkwood, Mo.
Another STL person!  I am from kirkwood.  Get yourself a pair of Yaktraks and enjoy running in the snow and ice!  Fartleks are basicly what someone has describe earlier for running sets. 
2010-10-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3167397

St. Peters
Jlamm66--I am originally from Buffalo, NY. so I can still use the running shoes here.  When you can measure the snow in Feet, then you break out the snow shoes... Thanks for the info. !!!
2010-10-24 12:39 AM
in reply to: #3167218

Lake St. Louis
Fartlek running is just another way of saying a run of varied paces. It can be structured or unstructured. Say you are doing a 45 minute run. After a warmup you pick out a telephone pole and decide you are going to run fast from that pole to the next pole. Then you rest while jogging until you feel like running hard again. That would be an unstructured workout. A structured would be something like warming up and then running hard for specific amounts of time. One workout I like is 3:00 hard, 3:00 easy, 2:30 hard, 2:30 easy and continuing to decrease by 30 seconds. These runs can be done on the track or on the road.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from the STL (St. Louis, MO. that is) Rss Feed