General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low ab/pelvic pain after run/yoga? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-21 8:35 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Low ab/pelvic pain after run/yoga?
I did a 9 mile long run last Saturday and felt pretty good. My shoes are going bad and causing IT pain in my knees (I think), so I decided I'd lay off the running until I got new shoes this week. I did a swim workout on Sunday and then did 1 hour of power yoga last night.

After my long runs I usually feel a bit of soreness in my abs. I figure they're getting worked a bit. Saturday was no different. Last night I was getting into the prayer twist pose. Looks like this: http://www.yogabasics.com/asana/postures/prayertwist.htmlAs I was getting into this pose with my left leg forward, I felt pain in my left low ab/pelvic area from about my hip bone and then diagonally down. It was painful enough that I had to stop. Later in my DVD there's a section of ab work doing bicycle crunches. When I'd pull my right leg in and lower my left, I had the same pain and had to stop. It also ended up waking me up last night whenever I'd turn over.

What's really strange is that it doesn't really hurt when I'm not doing any of these things. None of the other lunge/squat type poses hurt. So does anyone know what this could be? I'm just not sure if I need to rest it or if I can do my scheduled bike stuff. Any stretches for that area? Thanks!

I'm still having trouble figuring out when to push through things that hurt or are uncomfortable and when to stop/rest.

2010-10-22 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3164443

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Low ab/pelvic pain after run/yoga?

You obviously strained something, but it is hard for me to visualize exactly what from your description. Really doesn't matter. Should heal with rest.

As for bike and other workouts, let pain be your guide. If you can bike without pain, do so. If it hurts stop.

2010-10-25 8:36 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks. I'm fairly sure I strained my rectus abdominis on the low left side. It's been a week now and it's about the same. Tried on running shoes yesterday and definitely felt it. It still wakes me up when I roll over in bed and I can feel it when I sit up in the morning. I think I pinpointed the area this morning and it hurts when I press on it. Same with twisting and bending over sometimes. What's strange is I also feel a pull in my groin area.

Not being able to run is kind of driving me crazy. I'm going to try cycling again this week and see how it feels. What a PITAbs!
2010-10-25 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
It could be a ruptured ovarian cyst, I had that after getting out of bed the morning after a long run (12mi). 

Your symptoms sound like my symptoms.  Usually mine is exacerbated by exercise, and then the rupture happens during a twisting or stretching motion. 

Should go away with rest, only once I had to get antibiotics for infection.
2010-11-04 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
I was able to see my doctor yesterday after trying an easy 5k run on Halloween and having everything flare right back up. After doing a couple of tests she found that my left adductor was definitely injured and suggested there I also pulled something in my ab area and possibly my left hamstring where it attaches under my bum. I could feel my abs pulling just walking to my appointment downtown and today I'm feeling a dull almost throbbing ache under my butt through the groin.

The ovarian cyst suggestion sounded interesting but she seemed to think it was all muscular.

Since she's not 100% sure exactly what is going on she wants me to see a sports medicine doctor and take 6 weeks off of anything that aggravates it. I'm praying cycling and swimming don't cause any more problems or I won't be able to do any exercise except maybe some upper body strength training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low ab/pelvic pain after run/yoga? Rss Feed