General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Shoe Advice Needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-25 1:47 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: Running Shoe Advice Needed
Fist let me start. I am new to running started in May on the couch program. I was 263 lbs I am now 218 lbs I was fitted with the Brooks BEAST shoe. As I progress it is a Heavy shoe and bulky.

However here is the thing. I am FLAT Footed, Low Arch and I supinate. Even in my brooks Beast. I have calluses on the outside of my foot across from the ball of the foot. Basically where my foot is taking the pounding while running.

I am open to thoughts. I don't have local shoe stores that have educated people in them and I don't feel like driving 2 hours again to get fitted again. I knew when I bought the Brookes Beast I would be graduating to less of a shoe later on... well I am now Later on.

I still have more weight to loose yet too.

2010-10-26 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3170945

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
Subject: RE: Running Shoe Advice Needed
Take a look at the Mizuno Wave Rider.  I don't have flat feet but I do suppinate and it's worked well for me.  Nike Lunar Glide might work as well.
2010-10-26 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3173160

User image

Chatham Ontario
Thanks I will look at those. Appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Plus I like the Steelers... so that is a bonus....
2010-10-27 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
This makes no sense to me at all.  The Beast is designed as a motion control shoe to "correct" severe over-pronation.  For the supinator I have always seen neutral cushioned shoes recommended by the "experts".

I am 220ish lbs and also supinate.  I have spent a lot of time running in Mizuno's line of neutral shoes (creation, rider, precision).  Rider for general running and precision for shorter runs and racing. 

The creations are just too mush cushioning.  I think most LBR's see a big guy and just want to slap the biggest pillows they got on ya.  I think this is wrong as load is more a function of how you run not how much you weigh, and the big pillows on your feet make it hard to learn to run softly.

I have since moved on the more racing flats (Asics Hyperspeed) and found that the lesser cushioning allowed me to be more conscious of my running form and run smoother and faster with much less pounding and joint strain.

PS since I have been running and being more conscious of my form I became aware that most of my supination was caused by joint mis-alignment due to muscle imbalances/weakness.  Using low cushion shoes I can better concentrate on running properly and strengthen what need to be strengthened.  So far the results have been great but is still a work in progress.

2010-10-27 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3174487

User image

Chatham Ontario

Thanks Ray.

I talked briefly to a buddy that runs and I think from him, he found that all shoe places tend to take bigger guys and plow them right into the BEAST. And I think in the begining it might have been ok when I was 263 lbs in a 5'6" frame. I am now 218-220ish and damn it still in a 5'6" frame...

He warned me against these after I already had them I will say that it sort of helped I think in some ways with respect to not feeling much under me in the way of POUNDING the ground. But it may not have helped me learn that I am POUNDING the ground for more reasons then being bigger.

as I said I don't have much to choose from around me, so I am probably going to order online for a new shoe and what you have said makes perfect sense and lines up with the things I am reading. It just seems if your a flat foot, bigger guy that supinates no one knows what to do with you. Heck one place even recommended I didn't run at all. I run with a short gate to try and stop the pounding.

But the outside of my foot is suffering on longer runs. I will take all of what you said into consideration.

I appreciate your time as well.

Edited by Techdiver 2010-10-27 12:53 PM
2010-10-28 8:07 AM

I think the biggest thing is that the need for the "right" shoe pops up as volume increases.  If a shoe isn't perfect but you're running 2 miles at a 12 minute pace twice a week, you probably won't notice a thing.  It's when you start really carrying a higher volume of mileage that the repetitive motions make it absolutely necessary to have the right kicks.

Not to sound mean...but they probably put you in the BEAST knowing it could handle the weight and also assuming you weren't going to be out there dropping 20 mile trail runs.  Now that you've shed some pounds and you're ready to kick the volume up, DEFINITELY get a full gait analysis and a good fit.  You may not notice a difference for the first two miles, but by mile 5 you'll be very happy you got the right shoes!

2010-10-28 8:34 AM

User image

As someone who's spent the past couple years around 210-220, flat footed and running 6-15 miles at a shot let me completely agree with the idea that you really should get your gait reanalyzed. Seriously. This is something that can feel fine for a while then bite you in the butt hard later causing life long issues.
2010-10-28 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3178231

User image

Chatham Ontario
ok I will look into this Gait review.

I have to find somewhere and will likely have to travel 2 hours to do so. But I would prefer to do it correct.

No offense taken on the comment about the BEAST. They did say I would graduate to another shoe before totally going through these shoes if I kept it up.

I believe I am at that point now.
2010-10-28 1:17 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
You mentioned Flat Feet and Supinating.  Those tend to be conflicting issues.  There's also the callous issue.

I think you were put in the Beast because of your size.  There may not be a perfect shoe. 

I'm no expert... so my advice is to talk with someone that is an expert and can perscribe an orthodic  so you can run in neutral cusioned shoes.  Shoes can sometimes help with strike, but real foot issues are better dealt with by a doctor.

Even stepping on a dr scholls custom orthodic machine at walmart gives you a good start, though if your having issues I stand by the dr advice
2010-10-28 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
I just ordered a pair of these:

www.somniorunning.com

They're having a sale on their 2009 models so I thought I'd give them a try.  Customized varus angle, arch support, and cushioning PER shoe.  My left and right feet are definitely different so this may work better for me than others.  I get them next week and will post a review.

Someone I went on a group ride with thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread.  I don't know if I would've bought one at $140+ but at $60-80, I thought I'd experiment. Besides, they do have a guarantee (I'll use it on a treadmill first).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Shoe Advice Needed Rss Feed