General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying a bike without trying it first? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-26 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3173629

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Buying a bike without trying it first?
agarose2000 - 2010-10-26 4:01 PM Odds are very high you'll be just fine if you use the estimates that the LBS gave you and/or use an online size estimator.

While it's true that fit is important, as a beginner new to cycling, you don't need a pro fit to squeeze out every last percent. Even more importantly, you'll likely adapt to the bike so long as it's not really off, and any LBS worth their salt can easily eyeball you and tell if you're far off.

I've owned 3 prior bikes that I rode the heck out of with no special fit other than the LBS guesstimate as well as looking up my rough size on an online calculator. I found that by far, the most important thing was adapting to the bike. I've since been trying out various different positions of seatpost, aerobars, etc., and found that there's definitely a significant range of bike sizes that will work, and work very well.

Also keep in mind that as a newbie, you will get back pains to some degree when you start going on long rides past your comfort zone. (Usually 45mins+, if not hours!) There's a normal adaptation process that you need to get tuned into the bike position. Don't expect to get on your bike as a newb and be totally comfortable on a 3hr ride ride off the getgo.

Thanks for the info. I KNOW I'm not going to be comfortable on the bike, I'm never comfortable on any bike. Like I said above, I've never been big on cycling but am kinda getting into it since doing my first tri. I know anything I get is going to have a long period of adjustment, I'm prepared for that. I'll take some better measurements and check online calculators and hopefully the shop I visit this weekend will have a bike I can sit on, just to get a feel for heights.

2010-10-26 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3173629

User image

Veteran
San Diego, Discovered by the Germans in 1904
agarose2000 - 2010-10-26 2:01 PM Odds are very high you'll be just fine if you use the estimates that the LBS gave you and/or use an online size estimator.

While it's true that fit is important, as a beginner new to cycling, you don't need a pro fit to squeeze out every last percent. Even more importantly, you'll likely adapt to the bike so long as it's not really off, and any LBS worth their salt can easily eyeball you and tell if you're far off.

Also keep in mind that as a newbie, you will get back pains to some degree when you start going on long rides past your comfort zone. (Usually 45mins+, if not hours!) There's a normal adaptation process that you need to get tuned into the bike position. Don't expect to get on your bike as a newb and be totally comfortable on a 3hr ride ride off the getgo.

I agree with agarose2000.....you'll likely be fine.  Look for an online calculator, plug in your measurements and it will give you a good set of numbers to be able to start your research.  You can find the geometry/measurements for most bikes (used and new) online at the manufacturers website.  Buying a bike without a test ride is not as high a risk move as some may lead you to believe.  Buthavingsaidthathowevercautionachtung....I have heard you may not want to buy a CARBON bike used/unseen.....something like that.
2010-10-26 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3173183

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Tiffanator - 2010-10-26 1:26 PM
Oldteen - 2010-10-26 1:11 PM If you pay for a fitting make sure they provide you with all your important measurements, and be familiar with tri bike fitting.  I know one LBS here whose intro (~$75) fitting means giving you a list of makes/model/sizes they sell that "fit" you along with advice for stem length for each.  IMHO that's crap.  Paying for a fit means much more than "this bike we carry should fit you".  You should be getting info on your body (lengths of legs/arms/torso), as well as recommended measurements of seat height, reach, etc.  Keep in mind that fit may change some over months/years as your bike fitness (& flexibility) improves.

BTW- Nothing necessarily wrong with getting a road bike with clip-on aerobars, esp as a first "tri" bike.  Check out his article by very experienced tri bike "guru"

http://slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

My LBS didn't seem worried if the Trek would fit me or not, they wanted me to buy it then work from there.
Is there any way that I can do a full body measurement to get a better idea of what size? Originally I thought I needed a 50-52, but the bike shop said extra small, I looked that up and it is 46-48. I know that getting a smaller frame is better than a bigger frame.

Geez... I have so many questions about all of this stuff and don't really know anyone who does triathlons. Thanks everyone for the help.

Um...yea...once you buy it, it's your problem, not theirs.  They'll also be happy to sell you new stems, etc. to try to make it work.  That's how you turn a $1200 bike into a $1500 one...

Competitive cyclist has an online fit calculator that steps you through the various measurements and some perspective on various fits.  You'll want a good friend to help with the measurements.  You can do the basic measurements and get a rough fit all from the comfort of your home.  I'd expect this level of fit to run $50-75 at the bike shop for which you should get the measurements and their list of bicycles.  More involved fits start with these measurements/calculations then set up the desired geometry as best they can and you ride a bit on a trainer or with a simulated load. 
2010-10-26 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3172237

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
A good shop should be able to get a good estimate of frame size from your measurements, and then fine tune the fit when you buy it.  When we got mrs gearboy's bike a couple years ago, they had to order the frame size for her, but it fits her perfectly.  I think the fitting makes a bigger difference than the 10 minute ride aroung the block
2010-10-26 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I've done it, but I knew EXACTLY what I was looking for, geometry-wise, and did the fitting myself. I'd say that unless you KNOW the specific size and model you want, and how much it will take to make the bike fit you, it's best to ride before you buy.
2010-10-26 8:31 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I was given my tri bike as a surprise.....all built.  However, my husband knew what bikes I was drooling over and not shutting up about for months.  The person who helped him order it had done a fitting for me on my road bike so he helped my husband navigate the sizing issues. 

I still needed to get a fitting on it, but even from my first ride I felt like I belonged on that tri bike.

2010-10-26 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3173815

User image

Master
McFuzz - 2010-10-26 5:24 PM

Competitive cyclist has an online fit calculator that steps you through the various measurements and some perspective on various fits.  You'll want a good friend to help with the measurements.  You can do the basic measurements and get a rough fit all from the comfort of your home.  I'd expect this level of fit to run $50-75 at the bike shop for which you should get the measurements and their list of bicycles.  More involved fits start with these measurements/calculations then set up the desired geometry as best they can and you ride a bit on a trainer or with a simulated load. 

While we are talking online calculators I have tried a few and prefer the one at Wrenchscience.  Both are pretty good, though!
2010-10-27 6:37 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-10-27 7:00 AM

Master
Dothan, Al
Okay, quick question on the online calculator. I realize that it is only for ball park figures, but does it matter as far as road bike v/s tt bike?
2010-10-27 7:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario

When you ride the largest size available it can be very difficult to get test rides on a bike that fits.  Even at demo events such as the one Trek did here this summer, I have been able to ride only a 58 when a 61 is closer to my size.  I have now purchased three bikes by getting measured and then buying the bike whose geometry fitted closest to my measurements and desired specifications.  Sometimes that is the only way possible.

D

2010-10-27 7:52 AM

Veteran
Wow, great info from everyone. More people have bought blind than I figured.

Now I have another question. Is there a big difference with the women's specific bikes? Should I be looking for a women's bike or just whatever fits right. When I used to buy wakeboards they always had women's specific boards and bindings, but usually that was nothing more than the bottom of the line men's boards with pink and powder blue graphics, no functional differences.

I scour all the craigslist posts within a 2 hour drive daily. Tri bikes not all that popular here.

2010-10-27 7:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Pretty much, listen to what everyone else has said.  Best option would definitely be to find a way to try it out for stiffness, handling, and all the other aspects that are hard to tell by a product description.  That said it can be done if:

- You know the bike's geometry
- You have been fitted
- Preferably you go with a trusted name and talk to those with experience on them.

Good luck on your purchase!  There are few things as fun as taking a new racing bike for a spin

2010-10-27 8:22 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
I bought a tri bike without riding it first. BUT it was brand new, and $500. I decided to take the risk and if it didn't pan out, I would just turn around and sell it.

It was also going to be my second bike. Not my one and only bike.

When I went shopping for my road bike, I found a lot of bikes that looked good on paper... just didn't inspire me when I rode them. There is a component to a bike that you are missing when you buy it without riding it... how does it FEEL RIDING it? That's important.

I would only buy it, IF I could bow out of purchasing it when it came in. That's just me... because $1,000 is a lot of money to me.

Otherwise, my $500 (still a lot of money) worked out fine. Although it lives on my bike trainer. I always ride my roadie outside.

2010-10-27 8:51 AM

Champion
MA
Best way to buy a bike is get measured and have measurements that are ideal if you were to buy a custom bike. Then you can go to any bike mfg website and see what size is closet to your ideal fit.  You could use this information to buy a used bike as well. You'd know the bikes you are considering would be a good fit or not. Slowtwitch has many articles on bike fit that are based on stack and reach of tri bikes...very informative.

Then find shops that sell them and see if they have your size, test ride it and make a decision.

Buying a bike that has not been fit to you well may work out or may not. I had to sell a bike that was to big for me. Not all mfg of bikes will fit you well.  You may need a women specific bike or may fit a men's bike. Fit process will help settle these questions. Some brands are longer and others are shorter and taller.

I have a bike fit guy that I've worked with for 6 years. If I wanted a new bike I would trust him to help me pick the one that would fit me well for the task at hand and order it. I bought a custom cross bike this way so it was mine before I sat on it. It fit me perfectly.

Issue is some bike shops do a poor job on fitting. What your local shop did is sub par and bike may or may not fit you. Some shops just want to sell you a bike and the fit they don't care about. What a fit is at one shop can be vastly different at other shop. You may want to post in your State's forum for recommendations of shops to go to and places to get fits or places to avoid for fits.

Many people buy bikes without proper fit. Does that mean it is a good idea for you? If you can afford to buy a bike and have to sell and replace it because it doesn't fit well go ahead. If money is tight, get the fit, then choose a bit that you know will fit you.

If you want to do mostly triathlons, buy a tri bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying a bike without trying it first? Rss Feed  

of 2