General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from Kansas Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-26 9:32 PM

Subject: Hi from Kansas
Just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm sure my story is pretty common here - former serious athlete who has slipped from the glory days.  I was a serious soccer player in high school (played some club college), and used to be able to run 5:20 miles like it was a warmup.  Then college took over, exercise got put on the backburner, well...you know the story.  I've been lifting weights for the past 2-3 years, and have bulked up a bunch and added a ton of strength, but I'm not happy with where I'm at physically and I want to regain some of that cardio that I had.  I'm only 24, so I know I have time to reclaim it, but I'm so far down the ladder that it's going to take a while.  I'm a big guy with very broad shoulders and chest (get mistaken for a college football player a lot), so running is not terribly natural to me.

But I'm motivated this time, I just need some help with plans, etc.  I don't want to be the "former athlete" who everyone jokes with about not being in shape anymore.  So basically, I'm ready.

2010-10-26 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3174107

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Hi from Kansas
Welcome. I wish I was 24 and trying to get in shape.
seriously, your still young enough to adapt fast..good luck, have fun
2010-10-27 8:43 AM

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it, and having this internet support group will really help, I think.
2010-10-27 10:52 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Welcome to BT!
Where in Kansas are ya? I live in Wichita, and know there are plenty of BTers in the KC area.

This site is great for support as well as FREE plans! Check out the "programs" button at the top.

Thought about any races yet, or still just perusing? There are a lot of sprint distances in the KC area, two in the Wichita area this summer. Let me know if you have questions on any of them!
2010-10-27 11:01 AM

I live in Wichita (Bel Aire, to be precise), but I'm not in town all that much.  My work takes me all over the state and country, which makes exercise (especially running) all that harder.  But I know, excuses are over, and all I can do is make the best of the situation.

I'm not anywhere near attempting a race yet.  I'm still trying to get where I can do a few miles without dying afterwards.  But when I get into better shape, I'd love to be able to do some training/races with some other people.

2010-10-27 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3175165

User image

Regular
Welcome to the site! A lot of good information on here, plus i love using the training logs.  I'll be doing the muddy water tri in wichita next summer!! It might be a good place to start, they have a sprint tri as well as an olympic distance. 

2010-11-07 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3175165

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
pb65stang - 2010-10-27 11:01 AM

My work takes me all over the state and country, which makes exercise (especially running) all that harder.  

I would think running would be the easy part.  Pair of shoes, done.

Biking, haul a bike around and look for a place to go.

Swimming, spend more time looking for pools and calculating operating hours than actually swimming.

-eric 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from Kansas Rss Feed