Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-12-10 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3176471

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Subject: RE: The Walking Dead

Good season finale.  x10 on the wife being preggers idea.  The whole CDC thing was too make-believe for me with the audio computer interface and the fail-safe blow the place up thing.

Made me think of where I would go and what I would do if it were a global apocolypse with 'walkers' in nearly ever country.

1.  I would make for the coast to a wealthy marina and find the biggest sailboat I could steal.  Wind power doesn't require gasoline.
2.  Isolated smaller islands like Bermuda, Hawaii, etc. could be a haven.  Unless someone infected gets there by air or boat, it would be cut off and protected.  Last resort... a place where walkers couldn't survive outside without the brain power to last in the elements.  Some place freezing - Alaska, Greenland, Iceland, etc.  It would suck to be in that kind of cold, but unless a walker was already dressed for the cold, they wouldn't know to put a coat on before going outside.  Once outside, they would freeze in mere minutes.

One key plan in this apocolypse is to survive long enough to starve out the walkers.  '28 Days Later' sort of had the right idea.  Once their food source is primarily gone, they don't have the brain power to find anything to eat, starve and die.  So at the most, you only have to survive 6-12 months before the world rids itself of most if not all walkers.  I think I could do a year in Hawaii.  ;-p

2010-12-10 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3244570

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-12-10 2:24 PM

Good season finale.  x10 on the wife being preggers idea.  The whole CDC thing was too make-believe for me with the audio computer interface and the fail-safe blow the place up thing.

Made me think of where I would go and what I would do if it were a global apocolypse with 'walkers' in nearly ever country.

1.  I would make for the coast to a wealthy marina and find the biggest sailboat I could steal.  Wind power doesn't require gasoline.
2.  Isolated smaller islands like Bermuda, Hawaii, etc. could be a haven.  Unless someone infected gets there by air or boat, it would be cut off and protected.  Last resort... a place where walkers couldn't survive outside without the brain power to last in the elements.  Some place freezing - Alaska, Greenland, Iceland, etc.  It would suck to be in that kind of cold, but unless a walker was already dressed for the cold, they wouldn't know to put a coat on before going outside.  Once outside, they would freeze in mere minutes.

One key plan in this apocolypse is to survive long enough to starve out the walkers.  '28 Days Later' sort of had the right idea.  Once their food source is primarily gone, they don't have the brain power to find anything to eat, starve and die.  So at the most, you only have to survive 6-12 months before the world rids itself of most if not all walkers.  I think I could do a year in Hawaii.  ;-p

This is what I wonder about anything Zombie. Whatever "source" makes em go must run out @ some point, right?
2010-12-10 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3244659

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
wstchstrTriathlete - 2010-12-10 3:13 PM

This is what I wonder about anything Zombie. Whatever "source" makes em go must run out @ some point, right?

Yes, but...

If the metabolic process slow enough, they may last for quite a while.  If the infection fends off further decay, or slows decaying processes, and the walkers only "activate" when they sense food, they could well last months or even years.  Think of seeds that sit dormant for long periods of time; or bacteria that reactivate after being frozen; or hibernating animals.  Their ability to withstand food shortages may be much longer than ours.  And of course, they seriously outnumber the living at this point.
2010-12-10 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3244832

User image

Master
White Plains NY
gearboy - 2010-12-10 5:17 PM

Yes, but...

If the metabolic process slow enough, they may last for quite a while.  If the infection fends off further decay, or slows decaying processes, and the walkers only "activate" when they sense food, they could well last months or even years.  Think of seeds that sit dormant for long periods of time; or bacteria that reactivate after being frozen; or hibernating animals.  Their ability to withstand food shortages may be much longer than ours.  And of course, they seriously outnumber the living at this point.

Then I am finding a huge yacht and praying that Zombie's don't learn how to swim or how to infect giant Blue Whales.
2010-12-10 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3244832

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Yes, but...

Nope.  I gotta disagree here.  Heart beating, lungs working, blood pumping O2 to cells...  Even a walker is going to use up 500-1000 calories a day just by existing.  Too many cells forming working complex organs to "lay dormant".  Even if the higher functions of the brain are dead.

Rule of 7's.  7 minutes without Oxygen.  7 days without water.  7 weeks without food.  If anything, a walker is too stupid to know how to turn a faucet.  They would be drinking standing pools of water anywhere they could find it.  Running out of a water source and dropping of dehydration has got to be the #1 walker-threat.  Living dead or not, cells need water.  And, they can smell and eat animals and flesh, but we've never seen them eating plants or each other.

No.  I stick by my theory that once an area reaches total infection, all humans are gone and only walkers remain - They'll start to go down after the last of the human/animal population that can be caught is eaten.  I would say in about 3 months.  Then in another 2 months they'll start dropping.  By month 6 most wouldn't have the energy to walk.  Wait another 3-6 and by the 1-year anniversary it would be safe to return and burn every walker in sight and start anew.

Biggest risk?  Would scavenger birds and animals have the sense to avoid eating a dropped walker?  The walkers may be down, but then having to deal with infected crows, buzzards, etc coming after you?  Now we're talking Hitchcock!  Or even worse - mosquitos!  And you thought malaria was bad!

2010-12-10 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3244985

User image

Pro
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-12-10 8:54 PM

Nope.  I gotta disagree here.  Heart beating, lungs working, blood pumping O2 to cells...  Even a walker is going to use up 500-1000 calories a day just by existing.  Too many cells forming working complex organs to "lay dormant".  Even if the higher functions of the brain are dead.

Rule of 7's.  7 minutes without Oxygen.  7 days without water.  7 weeks without food.  If anything, a walker is too stupid to know how to turn a faucet.  They would be drinking standing pools of water anywhere they could find it.  Running out of a water source and dropping of dehydration has got to be the #1 walker-threat.  Living dead or not, cells need water.  And, they can smell and eat animals and flesh, but we've never seen them eating plants or each other.

No.  I stick by my theory that once an area reaches total infection, all humans are gone and only walkers remain - They'll start to go down after the last of the human/animal population that can be caught is eaten.  I would say in about 3 months.  Then in another 2 months they'll start dropping.  By month 6 most wouldn't have the energy to walk.  Wait another 3-6 and by the 1-year anniversary it would be safe to return and burn every walker in sight and start anew.

Biggest risk?  Would scavenger birds and animals have the sense to avoid eating a dropped walker?  The walkers may be down, but then having to deal with infected crows, buzzards, etc coming after you?  Now we're talking Hitchcock!  Or even worse - mosquitos!  And you thought malaria was bad!

Bears hibernate from October through April/May. Their heart rates drop as does body temperature.  And they are not even zombies.  The need for circulation may well be reduced or even absent in zombies, especially when they are in a more dormant state.  They are not constantly scavenging or moving - so even more energy is conserved.  I stand by my assertion that there is a risk of being outlasted by the dead.

2010-12-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3244985

User image

Expert

Yes, but...

I never even considered mosquitos, so my vote would be Arizona, or Nevada. Some desert, preventing the walker hibernation. They would dehydrate in a few days out in the sun and freeze in the winter.
2010-12-11 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Now I remember.....it was Resident Evil 3 that had swift Zombies.  The ones that came out of the steel containers.

2010-12-11 12:51 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-11 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3245020

Master
Lake Norman, NC
gearboy - 2010-12-10 9:49 PM

Bears hibernate from October through April/May. Their heart rates drop as does body temperature.  And they are not even zombies.  The need for circulation may well be reduced or even absent in zombies, especially when they are in a more dormant state.  They are not constantly scavenging or moving - so even more energy is conserved.  I stand by my assertion that there is a risk of being outlasted by the dead.

Bears and other hibernating animals need to load up and store up huge quantities of fats to live off of during the winter.  A bear will emerge from hibernation weighing 50% or less of its starting point.  Bears, penguins, whales...  All gorge themselves and then they shrink dramatically.  You would have to find one big fat walker to start with!  While some metabolic rates slow down, it isn't suspended animation.  Also bears have thousands of generations of evolution which allow them to hibernate.  Never heard of a human being able to hibernate or go much past a week or two without water.  I still think walkers go, eat and drink until they there's nothing left and then they drop.

I love this scientific debate over fictional creatures!  But in any and every zombie movie I've ever seen - our only reference to go by.  Zombies and walkers seem to simply operate on the instinct to feed and nothing else.  Never have we heard of dormancy when food sources are gone like in "Reign of Fire" with dragons (a very creative fictional explanation for it).

But even if a walker could lay dormant, they would need to come out of it to be a threat.  And coming out of it means immediately fueling up.  Until they take in more water and food, they would have to be really pathetic.  No threat at all.  Just find a 'nest' of hibernating walkers, pour on the gasoline, toss the match and you're done with it.

2010-12-11 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3245116

Master
Lake Norman, NC
mkarr0110 - 2010-12-11 8:45 AM

I never even considered mosquitos, so my vote would be Arizona, or Nevada. Some desert, preventing the walker hibernation. They would dehydrate in a few days out in the sun and freeze in the winter.

To be honest - THAT would be the scariest nightmare of all.  Not just protecting yourself from being bitten by a walker, but one mosquito bite could transform you as well!  Wow!  How do you defend against that?!  You're right.  The desert may be an ideal place to go.  I think extreme cold or desert means the same thing - without higher brain functions to construct an artificial environment or habitat to live in, most every living thing wouldn't be able to survive in the native environment.

Until you had to deal with John Carpenter's 'The Thing' in the arctic or a 'Graboid' man-eating worm in the desert.  There's always SOMETHING out there to kill us!  ;-p

2010-12-11 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3245281

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2010-12-11 1:54 PM
2010-12-11 5:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
In reference to physiologic functions, I don't know if they really have any. That half lady crawling across the park/wooded area that the sheriff shot in episode 1 I think wasn't bleeding out or anything. She looked like she had been cut in half or "pinched" in half almost. So, they may strictly be brain stem functioning creatures. Impossible..yes. Entertaining...also very yes.
2010-12-11 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3245270

Pro
Twin Cities
In The Stand, it was a similar thing-some animals were affected, others were not.
2010-12-11 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3245395

Pro
Twin Cities
Ding ding ding! They are (in this case) brain stem only creatures...apparently they will go as long as they physically can. Crap falls off of them, they lose legs, eyes, etc. But as long as they CAN move some part of them, they will. Meaning, if you get close enough to a torso...you oculd still get chomped.
2010-12-11 8:47 PM

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
DrLeah - 2010-12-11 10:51 AM

best

thread

ever.

My theory on the infection thing is that it's a species-specific "virus".  Only humans re-animate.  Just like birds can't get rabies, non humans can't get zombiefied.

Yeah But, the dobermans in Resident Evil 1 (RE 1) were sorta zombiefied weren't they.  And later in RE 3, the Ravens were nasty.

And, do Cricket Bats (that crazy British Game) break?   I'm trying to decide if a Louisville Slugger is better than the Cricket Bat.   Would they make them out of Aluminum for their college teams?

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2010-12-11 8:50 PM

2010-12-12 5:24 PM

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia

I want to read the comic book now but I like anticipation, so till next season.

I cant believe in missed Resident Evil, renting it tonight...who needs sleep!

I say again, Zombies will decay w/o food source.  Rigor sets in and they turn to dust.  Now, I have no interest in out running a Zombiefied Michael Johnson..think about that!

One last thoiugt, in that 1st episode, the mother of the family that helped the sheriff, don't remember their name.  She was a Zombie but she acted as if she was familiar with her house, remember, she came back to it and went up to the door, can a Zombie.  Can the guys get smarter as they Walk....sustain?  Though it's a movie, that would make it fun!

2010-12-12 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3245958

Pro
hrliles - 2010-12-12 6:24 PM

I want to read the comic book now but I like anticipation, so till next season.

I cant believe in missed Resident Evil, renting it tonight...who needs sleep!

I say again, Zombies will decay w/o food source.  Rigor sets in and they turn to dust.  Now, I have no interest in out running a Zombiefied Michael Johnson..think about that!

One last thoiugt, in that 1st episode, the mother of the family that helped the sheriff, don't remember their name.  She was a Zombie but she acted as if she was familiar with her house, remember, she came back to it and went up to the door, can a Zombie.  Can the guys get smarter as they Walk....sustain?  Though it's a movie, that would make it fun!

Rigor ends as the muscles further decay, even in "normal" dead things.  Who's to say that the virus doesn't stop the rigor process in the first place?
Also, it is possible that the walkers retain some sort of primitive memory - like flatworms.  So they tend to repeat certain actions that were common in life, or go to certain places. 

Also I still would not want to run the risk that my needs for food and water are going to outlast the zombies.  Remember, they weren't just eating humans.  The ones that were coming to the encampment were also eating what looked like deer.  And for all we know, they are even cannablizing one another if they get hungry enough. 
2010-12-12 8:20 PM

Master
White Plains NY
I just picked up a copy of "World War Z" which is an interview type of first hand account analysis of a world wide Zombie outbreak. The author bounces around all over the world getting many different accounts of the outbreak. So far so good. Makes it appear very real and really shows off the fact that NO ONE had any idea what was going on.
2010-12-12 10:56 PM

Master
Lake Norman, NC
DrLeah - 2010-12-11 1:51 PM

best

thread

ever.

My theory on the infection thing is that it's a species-specific "virus".  Only humans re-animate.  Just like birds can't get rabies, non humans can't get zombiefied.

Carriers dude....  Carriers.  Malaria, West Nile Virus, etc...  They don't infect or kill the mosquito, but the damn things can still transmit and infect people.  Normal mosquitos flying around biting people transmitting the zombie walker virus?  Holy crap!  That would be like game over.  Maybe the only ones left standing would be those in the Arctic, Antarctic, desert, on an aircraft carrier or submarine that never makes port, on the ISS, or sealed up in an underground nuclear/chemical bunker - until the food, water, fuel and air run out.

I love this chit!

2010-12-13 6:48 AM

Pro
Conversation with my daughter yesterday:

Daughter: Dad, why do you love zombies so much?
Me: I don't love zombies.
Daughter: Then why do you keep sending me stuff about zombies, and talking about them?
Me: Because I HATE zombies! And I want you to be ready for the coming zombie-pocalypse!  If I loved zombies, I wouldn't be worried!

Edited by gearboy 2010-12-13 6:48 AM

2010-12-14 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3246075

Champion
Chicago
wstchstrTriathlete - 2010-12-12 8:20 PM

I just picked up a copy of "World War Z" which is an interview type of first hand account analysis of a world wide Zombie outbreak. The author bounces around all over the world getting many different accounts of the outbreak. So far so good. Makes it appear very real and really shows off the fact that NO ONE had any idea what was going on.

It's a good book. I like the part about ... OK I liked pretty much all of it.
2010-12-14 8:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Can somebody link me the thread about the zombi apocolypse survival guide here in COJ, I can't find it.
2010-12-14 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3246075

Pro
Twin Cities
I would recommend Brooks's other book The Zombie Survival Guide, as well.

Not sure how I feel about the upcoming movie, though.
2010-12-14 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3247962

Champion
Chicago
mmrocker13 - 2010-12-14 8:43 AM

I would recommend Brooks's other book The Zombie Survival Guide, as well.

Not sure how I feel about the upcoming movie, though.

The movie may be just a rumor.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Walking Dead Rss Feed  

of 9