General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changes in lower legs after injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-28 1:10 PM

User image

Subject: Changes in lower legs after injury
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I was fitted and was running in a mid-stability shoe (Asics 2150's) when I got a bad case of PF.  When the symptoms got worse, I tried an insert from my hiking boots (Super Feet) which seemed to help for awhile.  After much physical therapy and very little running, I finally started to improve.  Then I removed the inserts.  But the shoes still didn't feel right.  I was getting some post-run soreness that just didn't feel right.  So I went back to the tri shop and got my gait analyzed again.  After reviewing the tape I could see that I wasn't pronating anymore.  I was practically neutral.  So I got a new pair of shoes (Mizuno Rider 13's) which felt great.  I just got back from a 5K in them and they still felt great.

Now my question is:  has anybody else experienced this kind of change after an injury?  I have been running in mid-stability shoes for many years now.  But all of a sudden, a neutral shoe feels really good.  It's like my lower leg structure has changed or something.  I have always been pretty bow-legged, which affects my running stride and foot strike, and always seemed to pronate quite a bit, especially on toe-off.  Now that is practically absent.  I hit slightly suppinated and roll just past level and toe off.

There is a major difference somehow in my foot structure now, and my lower leg muscles post-injury.  The two variables are the injury itself, and the fact that I switched to biking and swimming during recovery.  Any theories?  Could the over-stress foot tissues have healed up stronger now?  Did the biking strengthen the lower leg muscles and thereby reduce stress on the feet?  Did the swimming loosen up and give the feet and ankles more flexibility?

I know it sounds like I'm answering my own questions here, but I really don't know;  I'm just throwing out some possibilities.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changes in lower legs after injury Rss Feed