General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Need help getting going again!!! Please Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-28 2:07 PM

Subject: Need help getting going again!!! Please

I have been doing Sprints and Olympics’ for the past 5 years just to finish and have some fun with my buds.  The problem is after my last race I have lost all the get up and go that was 4 months ago.  Does anybody have these kinds of issues? Any suggestions for some motivation?

Thanks,
budman

2010-10-28 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3180427

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Need help getting going again!!! Please

budman - 2010-10-28 2:07 PM

I have been doing Sprints and Olympics’ for the past 5 years just to finish and have some fun with my buds.  The problem is after my last race I have lost all the get up and go that was 4 months ago.  Does anybody have these kinds of issues? Any suggestions for some motivation?

Thanks,
budman

Hey there!

So you are in the off season and not terribly motivated, huh?  I feel ya.  I've basically taken the month of October off.  I'm planning on starting to introduce a few things starting next month.

More than anything, the off season is an opportunity to just maintain base fitness and give your body and mind a rest.  I normally do indoor rock climbing and ice skating to mix it up.  Do what feels good but keep some kind of routine.  That is probably what is most important.  I now, at least for me, once I get into the routine of doing something, I find it harder to NOT do it than to do it so I just do it.

Good luck in the off season. 

Oh, and welcome to BT.  It is a great site with mroe information thatn you can shake a stick at.

2010-10-31 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Texas

Yep. I get the post-season blues. I don't really have an off-season. Instead I focus on my weakest sport, running, and am currently training for a few 1/2 marathons. I make mini-goals every month to keep me going. Nothing's wrong with taking some time off in the winter season, though. It also helps to have someone to train with who keeps you on your toes. Best of luck with everything!

2010-11-01 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What cure have I found for off-season blues? (and yes I've had them)  Coming on to the BT forums and just interacting with all the fine folks we have here.  I've found that I now have two required items before going to work.  Morning cup of coffee, and browsing the BT forums for at least 15 minutes to see what kind of things are going on in the BT world.  Whether it's saying hello to a new poster, or replying to a completely random post on "cup of joe".
On a more serious note, I agree that you should just pick a sport that you need to work on and concentrate on winter maintenance to maintain motivation.  There are also winter maintenance plans here on BT that you could try to keep it up.  If you've been overtraining, cutting back may be jsut the thing you need for a little while.
2010-11-01 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What cure have I found for off-season blues? (and yes I've had them)  Coming on to the BT forums and just interacting with all the fine folks we have here.  I've found that I now have two required items before going to work.  Morning cup of coffee, and browsing the BT forums for at least 15 minutes to see what kind of things are going on in the BT world.  Whether it's saying hello to a new poster, or replying to a completely random post on "cup of joe".
On a more serious note, I agree that you should just pick a sport that you need to work on and concentrate on winter maintenance to maintain motivation.  There are also winter maintenance plans here on BT that you could try to keep it up.  If you've been overtraining, cutting back may be jsut the thing you need for a little while.
2010-11-01 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
I agree on what the above posters have said. Maybe try some plyometrics, or start a serious core workout. Look at what your weakest areas are, and visualize where you would like to be in that area.

example: Swimming- What's holding you back in your swimming?  Legs star dragging? Maybe work on your core. Poor stroke? Down load swimsmooth.com or maybe hire a coach.
                Running Looking to improve speed or distance?
                Biking? Maybe go find some new hills to conquer.

Me? I suck at all of 'em...so....Yell

2010-11-02 1:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Welcome to BT, Budman!

Yep, I've lost a lot of desire with having being married, having 3 young sons, and work, etc.

I've completed 2 or 3 open marathons, a couple of sprints, 3 or 4 HIMs and 2 IM.  Since last year's IM I've been on "Family Time" to keep everything in perspective.  It's hard to get back into it - I'm there with you.  However, it takes BALANCE and finding that desire again.  You'll get it back.

Try joining one of the challenges in the Challenge Forum - see if that helps.

Good luck!

2010-11-02 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital

Hey. Like you I'm new to BT.
I've been unstructured in my training since Syracuse 70.3. I did three HIMs this year and a number of sprints and felt a little burned out in October.
What anchored me again was signing up for my A race next year. 
I'm heading back to Eagleman.
Now I'm back to training not just working out.
The goal gives me all of the motivation I need.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Need help getting going again!!! Please Rss Feed