General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Runner going to turn Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-28 7:32 PM

User image

cactus and 67th ave
Subject: Runner going to turn Triathlete
Hello Everyone,

Well I'm Kyle and I am a middle to long distance runner that has made my mind up and going to start doing Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. I am looking into a few different bikes right now a few including ( Giant Defy 1) (Cannondale synapse) (KHS) (Orbea Aqua T105) These bikes are all outfitted with Shimano 105 parts and are all in the same price range so i just need some input on what other riders think. I live with my cousin who is a swimmer so i have a coach for that and am looking forward to learning how to really swim. lol. My 5k times are in the mid 16min range so really the bike will be my biggest learning curve... Well hello to all and am looking forward to talking to you all.  oh thank you on any input on the bikes.

2010-10-28 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3181008

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Runner going to turn Triathlete

Welcome!  You're definitely a fast runner!  Get your swim and bike down and you're going to be a stiff competitor.

You're doing the right thing by looking at Shimano 105 (or better) groupset on a bike.  I wouldn't go any lower.  I haven't ridden any of those bikes, but the most important thing is fit.  Give them all a good, long test drive and that should help you make your decision.  Good luck training.

2010-10-29 8:47 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Welcome to BT.
Find a plan and work with it.  Have fun with the training, get the rest you need, work on your nutrition intake, and enjoy learning the swim and bike discipline!
2010-10-29 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Spend some time on each of the bikes and buy the one that feels the best to you. I always want to buy the best components I can buy and the frame the fits me best. Don't worry too much about manufacturer at this point. I still ride a used Lemond that I bought and even at my bike level, I pass people on much more expensive bikes.

Finally, take time to learn a little about bike maintenance. There are some really good videos on-line and I ended up buying a book that helps when it gets more complicated. A nicely cleaned and maintained bike will help you over time.

Welcome to BT and enjoy your new challenges.
2010-10-30 3:11 PM

User image

cactus and 67th ave
thanks for the comments. Will for sure take everything you guys said and do them for sure. Again thanks for taking the time to read my post and comment. 

Thanks
Kyle 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Runner going to turn Triathlete Rss Feed