General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's Talk Wetsuits! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-06 6:08 PM

User image

Regular
Port St. Lucie
Subject: Let's Talk Wetsuits!
I finally broke down and bought my first wetsuit this week-- as the weather in FL is  getting cold and I have a triathlon next week and one in December that's going to be reasonably chilly. Okayyyyyy- so I took a thousand hours trying to get into the suit this morning to check it out and now I'm filled with questions...
1. Like, how the H-E-double hockey sticks do people get into these things? 
2. I'm also currently envisioning an epic wet  walrus-like struggle to get out of the thing in transition. What are some tricks to getting out of it?
3. I stood in my living room and got boiling hot in about five seconds in the thing. Any Clydes and Athenas out there have any advice?

I'm doing my first Oly distance  next weekend and now I'm more concerned about the wetsuit than I am about doubling my race distance for the first time!

Any suggestions on dealing with wetsuits are greatly appreciated!!!

2010-11-06 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3198686

User image

Veteran
Chicago suburbs
Subject: RE: Let's Talk Wetsuits!
Put a plastic grocery bag over your feet and hands while putting them through the openings, it makes it far more manageable. There are videos on YouTube. Also, when taking it off, I've found it best to pull it down as far as I can and then step on it while pulling each leg out. It's not bad but would suggest some practice.
2010-11-07 5:30 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Best thing to do is just take your time.  Seriously find a place you can take your time and don't be rushed.  If you don't get your wetsuit on right, you'll have discomfort on your swim.  Often I feel like I'm in a magic show with an audience, "Is she really going to get in that thing?"  I might look like a stuffed sausage in the end, but I do! 

The videos on You Tube are great too.  Basically I pull it up little-by little, until the crotch is against mine.  For me, if I don't get the crotch all the way up, it affects the length of my stroke.  Plus on a 1.2 mile or longer swim it gets really uncomfortable. 

And, when I pull it up, I pull it up from the inside and make sure I smooth out the wrinkles as I go along.  I find I tend to grab and pull on the outside in a way that will risk tearing the suit.  This is just works for me. 
2010-11-07 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3198710

User image

Regular
Port St. Lucie
Thanks! Great advice! Youtube had a ton of good videos and I hadn't thought to look there. I'll try the plastic bag trick today when I go for a swim!
2010-11-07 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3199086

User image

Regular
Port St. Lucie
DonnaInHouston - 2010-11-07 5:30 AM Best thing to do is just take your time.  Seriously find a place you can take your time and don't be rushed.  If you don't get your wetsuit on right, you'll have discomfort on your swim.  Often I feel like I'm in a magic show with an audience, "Is she really going to get in that thing?"  I might look like a stuffed sausage in the end, but I do! 

The videos on You Tube are great too.  Basically I pull it up little-by little, until the crotch is against mine.  For me, if I don't get the crotch all the way up, it affects the length of my stroke.  Plus on a 1.2 mile or longer swim it gets really uncomfortable. 

And, when I pull it up, I pull it up from the inside and make sure I smooth out the wrinkles as I go along.  I find I tend to grab and pull on the outside in a way that will risk tearing the suit.  This is just works for me. 

Thank you! I'm going to my pool today and try swimming in the suit just to see what's what! I'm already worried about the crotch hitting just right so I don't CHAFE! This will be achieving a whole new level of dorkdom at the LA Fitness as people there already stare when you a) wear a tri suit b) bring fins and gloves and floats, don't stop swimming for 50-60 laps.  Ha ha!
2010-11-07 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Might not be the best thing to wear in a pool. The chlorine can damage and void the warranty from some wetsuits if I am correct. Also, there is a spray lubricant called tri-slide. USE IT!! I used body glide before, but when I found this stuff, I sprayed it on the cuffs of the ankles and wrists and it helped the wetsuit slide  right off on those difficult hang up spots.

2010-11-07 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3199375

User image

Regular
Port St. Lucie
spjon25 - 2010-11-07 12:04 PM Might not be the best thing to wear in a pool. The chlorine can damage and void the warranty from some wetsuits if I am correct. Also, there is a spray lubricant called tri-slide. USE IT!! I used body glide before, but when I found this stuff, I sprayed it on the cuffs of the ankles and wrists and it helped the wetsuit slide  right off on those difficult hang up spots.

Good to know about the pool and Tri-Slide. ! Well, I wanted to experience the whole wet suit feel of swimming before next Sunday, so there wouldn't be any surprises in the Miami Man Tri.  I don't think I'd train in a wet suit in the pool though-- it was very HOT! I felt slightly marinated afterwards!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's Talk Wetsuits! Rss Feed