General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear wheel trueness issues... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-06 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: Rear wheel trueness issues...
I havent' had much luck with rear wheels in my year and a half of cycling...

The OEM rear wheel on my bike went out of true @ about 600 miles.  Noticed the wheel bumping my calipers and then noted some spokes were so loose I could turn them with my fingers.  I had the wheel retrued but the guy who did so said the hoop was warped ever so slightly and the wheel would never be perfect.  Those were ALX-200s.  So I bought some Neuvation R28 Aero4s, which I really like.  

Today I'm out riding fighting the wind and noted a scrubbing again that sounded like the front.  Stopped and inspected the front, but I was way off... rear wheel was really out of whack.  In fact it looked like the wheel might have an inch or so of lateral movement, a pretty serious wobble.  So I called my wife to pick me up.  

My question is this, do rear wheels seem to go out of whack like this with some regularity?  Unfortunately that has been my experience.  Could the geometry of my drop outs be out of alignment somehow or something?  

2010-12-10 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3198782

User image

Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Rear wheel trueness issues...
Rear wheels seem to go out of true more easily than the front due to weight distribution but the neuvations are pretty good wheels and once they are retrued they should go for quit a while without needing to be trued again unless you really hit something hard. I have cheaper wheels that I ride  cross on that don't go out of true that often. Might be a good idea to have the bike checked out.  Does it pull hard when you ride with no hands? If it does it can mean that something is out of allignment.
2011-01-14 10:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-22 9:14 PM

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: RE: Rear wheel trueness issues...

Thought I should revisit this thread for informational purposes... ended up figuring out why my wheel was so out of whack after looking at it closely.  Wheel was cracked at a few spokes, two or three rather severely with the spoke pulling through... which caused the whole out of trueness.  

Neuvation was really great btw, send in the hub (I took the wheel apart at their advice) and they sent back a reworked wheel with my hub.  Took a little over a week once I sent it off... and I'm on the other side of the country from them.  Fingers crossed I get more than a years worth out of this one.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear wheel trueness issues... Rss Feed