Abitaman Series
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 24s
Overall Rank = 155/342
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30, headed out to the race at 5:15. We had all of our stuff set up by 6:00 and just relaxed until 6:30.
Event warmup:

at 6:30, I swam out to the first buoy to take a look at the corse. Did about 5 minutes swimming w/up total.
Swim
  • 19m 31s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got beat up more at this race than during the Sugar Bowl Tri. People were constanly hitting, a few times in the head. Once came close to knocking off my goggles. I am sure that having the goggles on under the cap help keep them on. Some other person grabbed onto my ankle, for some reason, so I had to kick hard a couple times to get them loose. The turns were horrible, I got stuck each time in a pack of people that was basically not moving and had to tread water to get around the buoy.

The water was a little wavey, but not as bad as what we swam in the previous weekend. After the first turn, I noticed three guys holding onto the surf board of one of the life guards. It turns out that at least four guys had to be plucked out of the water.

I had a goal of maintaining a long glide and slow stroke rate, and breath every fourth stroke. I tried numerous times to slow down my rate and take bigger breaths and get into my rythem. But being kicked and grabbed soo much, it would only last a few strokes and then I would lose focus.

What would you do differently?:

I need to do training lap splits that start out faster, then smooth down into my desired stroke rate, stroke length, and breathing rate. I think this my help in simulating race swim starts.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Bike
  • 57m 9s
  • 20 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of the transition ahead of Ken. I was goinig to keep a light pace until after the Bayou St. John bridge to help my legs get warmed up. But, he passed me up on the downside of bridge. I had been taking a pace that was pretty easy up to that point as I was maintaining about 25mph with little effort. As he started to go up the hill by the swim hole, I came up to him and yelled for him "to get a move on it." After passing him the first time, I realized I would rather have him take the lead, as I could then gauge how hard I needed to push without pushing too hard and maybe conserve a little energy for the run. I stayed back just out of the drafting zone till the first turn around the shelter. As we started approaching I could see him start down shifting and braking, so I swung out to the right and maintained speed, as he turned behind the shelter, I over took him on the inside with ease. I look over and that is when he started yelling something about me being sneaky. As we come out of the turn, we had about a 8 knot headwind direct headwind out of the east, lately the wind had been NNW to NNE making it a crosswind. I let him pass me and dictate the pace. I would over take him on the hills, then he would pass me up afterwards. I focused mainly on just keeping a constant exertion level up and down the hills and used cadence of 100 to 105 going up the hills. Using the down hills to refill the aerodrink when needed. As we approached the naval center for the first time, I got an idea of how he was going to handle the climb through the levee twice. I decided to push the pace after the turn to see how long it would take him to catch me after we passed the research center. I was hoping to gauge this in order to sprint the next time around into T2 with a little lead on Ken. Lap 2 was pretty much identical to lap 1 with the "cat and mouse" routine with Ken. As we approached the Naval Center the second time around, I took take the jump on him at the first levee and push the pace until T2. Turns out I beat him on the bike by 2 seconds. :D

Reduce the water bottle concentration from 2 Scoops HEED to 1 Scoop HEED. My stomach couldn't digest the 2 scoops with the increased HR over my training pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Entered T2, racked bike good, shoes went on good. Fumbled with helmet coming off a little.

Not much, as this was one of my best tranisitions to date.
Run
  • 34m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went south pretty fast. After coming out of T2, I could feel the left side of my stomach start cramping. Legs were ok. I managed to push for about 1/2 mile then I had to slow. That is when Ken caught me. I kept pace up to the 1st mile marker, but then decided I was going to have to walk. I walked/ran for pretty much the rest of the run.

Push through the cramping if possible. Mentally I let them beat me. I tried to focus on just making it to a point 50 yds up, then refocus on another point 50 yds up. But that just worked for 2 minutes, then I had enough. Had to walk. Ended up walking 3 seperate times after I tried to run again.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with Ken on how he wooped me on the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, stomache cramps from bike nutrition.

Event comments:

Goodie bags contents consist of a Gatoraid Water Bottle and some entry forms to organizers other races. BOOO YOU PEM.

Well, since this was the last Abitaman for the year, I have created goal times to beat for next year's race if I compete in them. This might be one of the few positive aspects to my last two race finishes.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:31 | 750 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 34/51
Overall: 234/342
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out to the 7th post around the buoy that was attached to it, then east just abeam the second jetty, right turn around a floating buoy, then back to original buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:09 | 20 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/51
Overall: 52/342
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Wind ENE 10, Two loops on the Lakefront Course - UNO Research Center to Shelter #1, then to Naval Base, to Research Center
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:59 | 03.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/51
Overall: 263/342
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back from UNO Research center along lakeshore drive, to lake terrace pkwy, to Robert E. Lee
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Subject: Abitaman #3 New Orleans

2005-08-01 11:07 AM
in reply to: #212545

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Abitaman #3 New Orleans

Great job, H13!  Sorry I inadvertently started a different thread from ya'll for the same race.  

I agree about the goodie bag.  GirlPower's at least has a cookie! haha

2005-08-01 11:32 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Great race and report. Congrats on finishing second place in the BT division.

CajunMan will make up for abitaman's swag deficit!

2005-08-01 6:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
I had the same thing happen to me on the swim... .someone grabbed my ankle and held on... that was uncalled for... but grats on your race
2005-08-01 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race Rob, looking back you should have snuck by me on the bike!!!! Your little shout out woke me up and pushed me to one of my best races ever. It's great fun racing with someone of similiar ability. Tough luck on the run, I thought you had me for sure.
2005-08-01 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Double Boo PEM!  Bad, goodie bag!  Bad!

You did so great, baby.  I am very proud of you.  And check out the ripped legs in that run photo!  No wonder your ankles got grabbed on the swim.  The tri chicks can't keep their hands off those legs!!!

Smoooooooooooch.

2005-08-01 10:50 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

I've said it before, but I figured the words belong here on the race report if nowhere else - Great Race!

I'm super anxious to see what happens at CajunMan!

2005-08-03 12:15 PM
in reply to: #213238

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

Manatee Express - 2005-08-01 7:19 PM Great race Rob, looking back you should have snuck by me on the bike!!!! Your little shout out woke me up and pushed me to one of my best races ever. It's great fun racing with someone of similiar ability. Tough luck on the run, I thought you had me for sure.

It wouldn't have been nearly half the fun had I not.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Abitaman #3 New Orleans Rss Feed