Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-11-09 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3201339

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: RE: Learn to do a flip turn!
Thanks for the vid, reminds me that I need to get back in the pool and I'd also like to get much better at flip turns.  My issue is that I feel somewhat lost when I start the somersault, sometimes over rotate, get a little twisted, etc.  Its something I just need to spend some time with.

2010-11-09 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
I was just thinking it was time to browse on over to FindingFreestyle and see what s new.  Thanks guys for all the flipping goodness.  You're in my favorites for a reason.
2010-11-09 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3202531

Master
, California
GoFaster - 2010-11-09 7:43 AM
Dave Luscan - 2010-11-09 9:42 AM

The best thing you can do to stay on the path to figuring it out, is keep doing it. 200-500 yards a workout or so.  Some kicking with fins for flexibility. Some kicking on your back to promote proper alignment. Some fast. Some slower. Keep kicking. It will improve.

Keep in mind that you are looking at a guy who, while never swam under 1:40 for a 200 freestyle, could out kick those studs handily when you put a kickboard under me.

The topic of kicking comes up so much that we are going to do some more video on the subject as well as try to de-bunk some myths surrounding the kick.  Look for it in about a week.

Sorry - I know I'm hijacking.  How much knee bend?  I'm told that my legs are too straight, so I need to bend more, but try not to drop the foot too deep, which I find very hard to do.  Usually I bend and am too deep, or keep my foot closer to the surface and my leg is too straight.  Fins let me get away with keeping my legs straight, but having propulsion.

The semi-private coaching I'm taking at the moment is also advocating a 2 beat kick - which seems to make sense, but when I watched the video of TJ it seemed he dropped his legs quite deep on the kick.

Yours Truly,

Confused

People often get going on one of the extremes.  One is a rigid leg motion that only flexes from the hip.  The other is working the knees far too much.

Try to keep your legs mostly straight, but slightly relaxed and you'll probably be very close to what you want.  Knees shouldn't bend a lot but they shouldn't be locked tight either.  That'll give you a more fluid / whipping motion like you see in a flipper.

Edit: This is probably easier to learn with a normal flutter kick, then translate it back to your 2-beat kick.  It's hard to get the motion right with the slow 2-beat kick IMO.  Dave may have some better pointers to get you started.

Edited by spudone 2010-11-09 5:40 PM
2010-11-09 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Watching swim teams at local pool I picked up some ideas to try, it seems landing the feet on the wall with toes around 2oclock helps the rotation off the wall to happen kind of automatically without using a lot of effort to twist back over. The longer the set drags on the more I miss the mark on this idea..
2010-11-10 12:35 AM

User image

Seattle, WA
Thanks for the video.  I'll try this tomorrow morning at the pool and let you know how it goes.

This post was timely... the last time I did a flip turn was probably in 9th grade when I was on the swim team.  It is definitely not something that comes back to you like riding a bike.  I can attest to that after feeling the urge to finally try again this morning. Of course I ended up looking like a complete idiot
2010-11-10 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3203410

User image

Elite
Ontario
tjfry - 2010-11-09 4:35 PM
Experior - 2010-11-09 2:28 PM
tjfry - 2010-11-09 2:49 PM
to GoFaster's question, which video are you referring to of me? Was it a turn video or a freestyle video? PM me if you want. Trying to figure out what you are looking at then will be happy to explain if I can.

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I guess it was this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkzF7fPWv4&feature=player_embedded

(demonstrating the two-beat kick), though I could be wrong because I'm not seeing the 'deep leg' on the kick that GoFaster describes.

(Edit -- fixed link -- I hope.)

I not sure about the 'deep kick' question either. Maybe GoFaster can elaborate. I thought he might be looking at a turn video where I went deep to get under a lane line. From above water, Dave has a good turn video and lays it out pretty well. There's lots of ways to progress through the stages of a turn, and I thought his were pretty good.

This was the video that I was referring to - it seemed to me that TJ managed to get the kick fairly deep to generate some propulsion.  Whereas, if he was generating a 4 or 6 beat kick, the kicks would be closer to the surface.  More like the boiling water you'd mentioned previously.  Please feel free to correct me on this.

2010-11-10 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
I don't have any sort of swimming background so I'm usually just hammering at the water when I swim.  Maybe this will help me gain some skills in the pool.  The black line on the bottom of the pool makes life so easy for straight swimming.  What I don't understand is why I can never find that black line on the bottom when I'm racing.  Maybe this weekend I'll finally find it on the B2B swim.  Wink 
2010-11-11 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Dave Luscan - 2010-11-08 2:50 PM In the pool yesterday doing some filming to fine tune our Finding Freestyle program. We decided to video a quick and easy flip turn progression that Rob developed. Try it out if you are so inclined and let us know how it goes.

This progression picks up after you already know how to do a basic somersault in the water. If you are not comfortable simply flipping over, get that down first. Start away from any walls and with your arms at your sides, lead with your head and just do a few somersaults in the middle of the pool.

Next you can try the progression found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExLqw_SlBlI

Let us know if it works for you as we are always looking to improve and refine our programs. This may be included in our Advanced Training Course which has not yet been released.

Hey, thanks for posting that!  I appreciate it.  I've only been swimming for a little under 4 years and been doing flip turns for a little under 3.  My wife helped me and then I watched some film of Phelps to see how he did it.  But the break down you did was great.  During peak season, I normally average 1:40/100 in workouts and in a 1000k time trial in a 25m pool. 

So I made changes last night, based on your video and I was able to actually increase the power of the kick-off, smooth the rotation, reduce my body profile by changing my hand position and basically go up to 3 feet further down the lane because of this video. All with essentially the same breath and exertion I did with the previous, inefficient flip turn.

Of course, I had some hiccups since it was my first time, but I already know how I'm going to keep working it in.  Thanks again.

2010-11-11 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Thank you for posting this. I can't wait to give flip turns a try
2010-11-11 1:23 PM

Another hijack.  Anyone else have problems with the "flip" making them dizzy and disoriented?  I am first to admit I have a really lousy inner ear.  Any tips on overcoming this?
2010-11-11 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3206803

User image

Expert
Frisco
MattNW - 2010-11-11 1:23 PM Another hijack.  Anyone else have problems with the "flip" making them dizzy and disoriented?  I am first to admit I have a really lousy inner ear.  Any tips on overcoming this?

breathe out when you start to turn and do not kick off the wall so hard.

2010-11-11 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
I am not a great flip turner, but one tip that helped me a lot was to do a quick short breath through the nose as I turned. I used to do a long breath through out the whole turn and by the time I finished I would be out of breath and gasping for air. Doing a short strong burst stopped water from getting in my nose, but left some air in my lungs to do a couple of strokes coming out of the turn. Hope that helps someone.

2010-11-11 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3206851

User image

Master
PNW
gerrydiego - 2010-11-11 12:01 PM I am not a great flip turner, but one tip that helped me a lot was to do a quick short breath through the nose as I turned. I used to do a long breath through out the whole turn and by the time I finished I would be out of breath and gasping for air. Doing a short strong burst stopped water from getting in my nose, but left some air in my lungs to do a couple of strokes coming out of the turn. Hope that helps someone.

Awesome!  You just answered my question and I didn't even have to ask!

My problem with flip turns isn't physically executing the turn...it's getting a good rhythm and keeping it.  For me, the flip turn is such an effort in terms of breathing and not getting massive amounts of water up my nose that I completely lose any swim rhythm that I might have established.  I figure this just takes time and practice, but helpful hints are a plus!
2010-11-11 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3206803

Mississauga
MattNW - 2010-11-11 1:23 PM Another hijack.  Anyone else have problems with the "flip" making them dizzy and disoriented?  I am first to admit I have a really lousy inner ear.  Any tips on overcoming this?

I had a bit of this at the start.  For me just sticking to it helped.  Took me about two weeks, swimming 3-4x per week to start to feel comfy.  At first I was so disoriented that I would only flip turn if I was the only person in the lane.

Right now, when I turn, it seems like my face is either facing the bottom of the pool, or the surface.  It seems like my head flips really quickly while the legs take longer.  I'm not sure if this is right or not, but I now can keep track of where things are and have no problem flipping with others in close proximity.

I used this flip turn progression to learn.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn to do a flip turn! Rss Feed  

of 2