United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 43m 26s
Overall Rank = 400/496
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 44/57
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal, milk and banana for breakfast. Sipped gatorade in the car on the ride over. It was freezing cold outside (mid-30's), so I waited pretty much in the car.
Event warmup:

Did some brisk walking just to keep warm and get the lay of the land - nothing else really.
Run
  • 4h 43m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to start out as slow as humanly possible. But it was cold. Still looked at my watch a lot to hold back as the pack was trying to drag me upstream. First 3 miles were uphill so I think that probably helped hold me back. I was aiming for 10:30 for the frst 6 miles - didn't quite get down to there but I think forcing myself to hold back was still good. FIrst aid station at mile 3 had no gatorade - so I skipped it. Wasn't remotely thirsty, so I ran through - next aid was at 5 miles and I drank two cups and did that throughout. Felt uptight the first 3 miles, but started to settle in. Definitely lacked confidence around my knee. I saw a woman ahead of me who had a really great midfoot strike, was doing around a 10 minute mile and seemed really confident. So I kept her in my sights. Finally ran with her a little after the aid stop at 9 miles and talked with her. She was a former marathon runner who had lost her drive and was out there to do the full (her name was Lynnea). So chatted with her a bit - and then at mile 13 she said she was going to stay with me. Mile 13 was my best mile of the race. I was on top of the world because I'd made it to the half-way mark with zero pain in my knee - taking the turn to follow the full marathon course was very exciting. It was as if that was the moment - that it was happening - I was going to complete my first marathon. I had all the confidence in the world. Then Lynnea left me. But I was still okay - it was nice to be by myself for a few minutes - but boy was it quiet. Everyone had left the course - it was like the race was over and I'd taken a wrong turn. And then at the very beginning of mile 14 - there was a hill that took a little of the wind out of my sails. But still, miles 14-17 felt okay - and I started to mentally feel good because I knew I was going to finish. Still no pain - I was still moving - and I felt good. I was getting slower and slower - but that was okay. Well then something happened around mile 18 or so. And each mile got SO much harder. I thought it couldn't be the wall - I was still moving. I even tried to push the pace a little to wake myself up. I thought once I got to St Anselm college mentally I would feel better. Nope. Then I thought, once I get to mile 20 I'll feel better. Nope. Then for some reason at mile 21 I got this second wind. You can't tell it by my pace - but I felt better through that mile. But I guess I used it all up because 22-26 were SO hard. I almost cried throughout all of mile 25. I was trying to be nice to the volunteers but I couldn't. I was spent. Even passing the mile 26 sign I thought - OMG I have another 0.2 to go - and there was no crowd, no one cheering. Then finally the finish line and I tried to step up my pace - I had zero left. So I crossed, plodding along. :)
I did the run walk religiously through the aid stop at mile 23. Then it was getting very hard for me to get started again so I didn't walk anymore after that.
What would you do differently?:

I'm a little surprised, now that I look at it - how high my HR was. I spent an hour and 15 minutes in zone 4. That seemed high to me. I didn't feel like I was pushing that hard. I'm not sure I'd change my pacing at the front - I'm a little afraid that starting out that slow made it hard to get to my regular pace - almost like I was on a freight train and that was my speed so I was staying there.
I was a little bummed that so many people wore headphones. I thought they weren't allowed, so I left my iPod at home. But there were tons of people tuned out - I'd turn to say something but they were plugged in so I didn't. There weren't many of us out there on the 2nd half of the course, so it would have been nice to have a little more "company". Had I known so many wore their headphones, I might have had mine and used them on the 2nd half when I needed to dig deep.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked walked walked, shivered, walked and got a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Confidence. Lacking confidence that my knee would hold up. Lacking confidence because I hadn't finished the training plan. I know both are stupid - but could not shake the doubts.

Event comments:

Well, it was my first and wow that was TOUGH. Harder than I thought physically. I think my stubbornness paid off and got me through.

Last updated: 2010-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
04:43:26 | 26.2 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/57
Overall: 57/496
Performance: Average
1 - 9:57 2- 10:16 3 - 10:17 4 - 10:21 5 - 10:25 6 - 9:57 7 - 10:21 8 - 10:02 9 - 10:17 10 - 9:57 11 - 10:02 12 - 10:25 13 - 9:29 14 - 10:18 15 - 10:31 16 - 10:23 17 - 10:41 18 - 10:53 19 - 11:10 20 - 11:26 21 - 11:04 22 - 11:03 23 - 11:13 24 - 11:55 25 - 11:23 26 - 12:04 0.68 - 10:57 (garmin said I ran 26.68)
Course: Hilly and challenging. City streets. Slidewalks, windy, potholes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-11-08 9:27 PM

New user

Subject: Manchester City Marathon

2010-11-09 5:49 AM
in reply to: #3201990

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Manchester City Marathon
Great job...I am thinking about doing this race next year...sorry about the headphones. I too like to banter a bit with other participants and am frustrated when I know they can't hear my witty repartee (at least I think it's witty after running 13 miles)...way to finish!
2010-11-29 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3201990

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Manchester City Marathon
Nancy,

First off, I am extremely proud of you and I had almost an identical experience in my first marathon.  They're no joke!  However, due to your knee, you were under trained.  We're going to have that knee fixed up soon and you're going to be much more prepared for the next one.  The one thing you should take away from this is how strong willed and determined you are!  That is something that can't be taught and is an amazing attribute to have.

The other thing we need to work on is your confidence.  You're going to have more visualization homework next year!  Positive thoughts!  You need to also remember how amazing you are and how you truly have the ability to do anything you put your mind to.  Just remember that.

That was one heck of a way to end your first season!  You achieved a lot this year and should be very proud!  I sure am!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manchester City Marathon Rss Feed