General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAZ swim start for a slow swimmer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-08 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Subject: IMAZ swim start for a slow swimmer
Dear IMAZ vets - I am a 40 year old, overweight, mom of 2 and I am attempting IMAZ in a couple of weeks. Yes, I'm one of those "cut off" chasers.  I admit it.  I'm struggling with the swim.  I hate it and it hates me.  I've tried to ignore it but it refuses to go away.  The crazy thing is, if I can make the swim cut off, I just might be able to finish this race! 

Here is my question:  Where do you recommend I place myself for the swim start? (Please don't say on the couch!) I really want to give it a shot.   

I did the Tempe Town Lake Swim this weekend to see where I was on time.  They closed the swim course at 2 hours and I was at 3450 meters.  If I had another 20 minutes I probably would have finished the IM distance.  BUT you see my dilemma.  I have no time to spare.  My orginal plan for IMAZ was to let all the fast folks go and wait but I'm not sure I have time to do that. 

Is there a place I could position myself were I could make forward progress without p%ss$ng people off or getting run over?  Someone recommended on the left hand side of the start buoy.  Someone else said by the wall.  Someone else said just start mid pack and people will quickly go by me.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks, Kate          

Edited by ~ AZ Sunshine ~ 2010-11-08 10:47 PM

2010-11-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3202031

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: IMAZ swim start for a slow swimmer
Kate, Please don't discount who you are and your goals. It is ok to be a mom, over 40 who will become an Ironman.

I say start in the middle under the bridge. Just do your think. Let others pass and try not to let them distract you. There really is no where to hide on this course. There are 2400 with you out there. Just keep moving forward the entire day and you should be fine.
2010-11-09 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

I agree with Rick.  I am a slow swimmer and was concerned about making the cutoff last year.  I found some area under the bridge that was less crowded and a good place to start.  Believe it or not, I have had less contact in mass starts than I have had in wave start events, so I think you'll be able to find some clear water and swim at your pace.  Giving the pack 1-2 minutes to clear out at the cannon will give you some space and won't impact your overall time.  You'll be fine.  Relax and just keep swimming.  Have a great event.  It really is spectacular!!

2010-11-09 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
As someone that just had the worst swim of my life and still made the cutoff at Silverman I just want to encourage you that you can do this.  Exactly what Rick said...don't let the others distract you.  Staying in your own head is the important thing no matter where you start from.  I did the entire 1.2 miles with...let's just say creative swimming.   I know you can do it and we will be so excited to see you become an Ironman!!!  GO girl!!!!
2010-11-09 5:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
I'm a slow swimmer, and I started at the back during IMSG. There were still people all around me, just not as many as there would have been had I started in the front. And most of the people in the back were around my pace, so I didn't have any problems with being run over. You can do this! And I'll look for you when you get out, since I'll be "stripping"!
2010-11-09 7:32 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I'm going to be in T-1 gear bags this year and I look forward to seeing you get out the water and on your bike. I'm a 36yo mom who did her first IM last year- you can do this!  

You will be amazed at how you get carried along with the other swimers, it felt faster than drafting at the start! Not at all as crazy as I thought it would be.

Something to consider is the water temp. I did IMAZ last year and I believe the water temp will be similar this year, after about 30 minutes in the water I got cold and no matter how hard I swam, I stayed cold. I was shivering as I swam. The year that I volunteered in T-1 I saw a lot of the swimmers come in very cold, esp those who were in longer than 1:30. I wore a neoprene cap last year. Everyone has different tollerance for cold water, my training partner was actually hot during the swim last year. If you are able to get in the lake and assess for yourself, then you will know how to dress. Not trying to worry you at all, just something to think about

2010-11-09 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3203789

User image

Expert
riorio - 2010-11-09 5:32 PM

I'm going to be in T-1 gear bags this year and I look forward to seeing you get out the water and on your bike. I'm a 36yo mom who did her first IM last year- you can do this!  

You will be amazed at how you get carried along with the other swimers, it felt faster than drafting at the start! Not at all as crazy as I thought it would be.

Something to consider is the water temp. I did IMAZ last year and I believe the water temp will be similar this year, after about 30 minutes in the water I got cold and no matter how hard I swam, I stayed cold. I was shivering as I swam. The year that I volunteered in T-1 I saw a lot of the swimmers come in very cold, esp those who were in longer than 1:30. I wore a neoprene cap last year. Everyone has different tollerance for cold water, my training partner was actually hot during the swim last year. If you are able to get in the lake and assess for yourself, then you will know how to dress. Not trying to worry you at all, just something to think about

The water was cold last year and expect it to be several degrees cooler than the open water swim this past weekend.  They are opening up the lake from 9-11am on 11/20 to swim in the lake. I recommend going right at 9 so you can get a feel for what the temp will be like early in the morning.

Sally is right about the drafting.  You'll be amazed at how the current will move you along.  Take Chad for example... he drafted me the entire swim and pulled an "Alberto Contador" leaving me to do all the work for most of the swim.
2010-11-09 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
That lake tasted like clen.
2010-11-10 7:09 AM

User image

Elite
the desert
~ AZ Sunshine ~ - 2010-11-08 8:46 PM Dear IMAZ vets - I am a 40 year old, overweight, mom of 2 and I am attempting IMAZ in a couple of weeks. Yes, I'm one of those "cut off" chasers.  I admit it.  I'm struggling with the swim.  I hate it and it hates me.  I've tried to ignore it but it refuses to go away.  The crazy thing is, if I can make the swim cut off, I just might be able to finish this race! 

Here is my question:  Where do you recommend I place myself for the swim start? (Please don't say on the couch!) I really want to give it a shot.   

I did the Tempe Town Lake Swim this weekend to see where I was on time.  They closed the swim course at 2 hours and I was at 3450 meters.  If I had another 20 minutes I probably would have finished the IM distance.  BUT you see my dilemma.  I have no time to spare.  My orginal plan for IMAZ was to let all the fast folks go and wait but I'm not sure I have time to do that. 

Is there a place I could position myself were I could make forward progress without p%ss$ng people off or getting run over?  Someone recommended on the left hand side of the start buoy.  Someone else said by the wall.  Someone else said just start mid pack and people will quickly go by me.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks, Kate          

Get to the right, swim along the side of the lake. The mass swim start is part of the whole IM experience. It was probably once the least 'contact' swims I've had. Sure, there are a few kicks, etc, but the swim lane is so wide that there is enough room for all the swimmers.

See how open the shore side is?

(mass swim v3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
mass swim v3.JPG (41KB - 15 downloads)
2010-11-10 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and encouragement.  I really appreciate it.  I'm going to give it my all and be ok with what ever happens.  I've decided that I'm going to start in the middle of the pack and towards the middle of the lake.  After looking at some videos and photos on line it looks like a decent bet.  The side looks very crowded at the start so I think I'm going to avoid it.   

I do have a quick question.  In Fitzy's photo it looks like people are on both sides of the buoys.  Are swimmers allowed to do that?  I thought that was against the rules!  I always swim back around them if my sighting is off.  Is it ok to go on the inside?
2010-11-16 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3205917

User image

, Arizona
The buoy is probably for sighting to help the racers know where they are suppose to be going. If it was a buoy that you have to make a turn around at, then yes you might be penalized if you cut inside of the buoy.

2010-11-17 11:06 PM

New user

Ahwatukee
^^ That looks like me in the nearest kayak in that picture. 

You should be to the right of the buoy's at all times - In the picture (if that is me) I'm trying to get the off course swimmer to get back on course - technically could be penalized, but I don't think any swimmers were.  If you see the large group coming up behind him... they were all off course... I was eventually overrun by them all.
2010-11-18 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
You can swim inside the bouys with exception to the turn bouys. There is plenty of room in the lake.
2010-11-21 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Congrats on getting through that swim!!!  So happy for you!

Keep up the good work on the bike!!  Cheering for you!!
2010-11-22 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Thanks everyone for your tips and encouragement!  I made the swim cut off and finished the race.  What an experience!
2010-11-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3222549

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
That is AWESOME!  I'm so inspired!!  Laughing

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAZ swim start for a slow swimmer Rss Feed