General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lift weights before or after swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-11 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: Lift weights before or after swimming?

I typically do two strength training workouts per week.  One is lower body and core, which is completed after a short run on the treadmill with some mild speed/interval work.  This seems to work well, as my legs are nice and warmed up and the speed work stiffness and soreness is experienced the same day as the strength training soreness.

The other is an upper body and core workout, which I'm currently doing immediately after my short swim workout for the week, which is also speed work (about 1000-1200 yards total volume, 600-800 of that under significant duress).  I'm looking for the same effect here, but as they say "I got nothin'" during the weight lifting workout.  I'm still getting something out of it (tired!), but I don't think I'm maximizing the workout.

Thoughts?  Should I do the weight lifting first and then the speed swimming, or separate them during the week?

2010-11-12 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3207068

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Lift weights before or after swimming?
Well there are a couple schools of thought here. 

One is that lifting prior to swimming will compromise your form due to fatigue and thus you won't get the most out of the swim workout.  I get this, but you can play with it and see if it works for you.

Two is that you lift afterwards so that you maximize the swim which is the main s/b/r discipline.  This doesn't seem to work for you.

I would just put upper body on a day I did a leg focused cardio day.
2010-11-13 1:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have personally discovered that lifting before swimming works better for me.

Oftentimes, people muscle through their swim workout and use mostly their arms to propel them through the water, especially triathletes who do not have a swimming background.

What I find is that because your arms are more tired, you learn how to utilize your core and legs to swim, which leads to more effectiveness in the long run. It takes a lot of discipline though, I imagine most people would just let their form suffer.
2010-11-13 11:23 AM

User image

Champion
PA
I just know that lifting while swimming makes me sink some more all the time.
2010-11-26 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
When I have the time I lift befIore I swim.  An hour in the weight room and then 60 -90 minutes in the pool.  Not a weekday workout.  My best swims come after my workouts.  Muscles are warm and flexible.  We I was part of swim club (12-19), we always did it after a 90 minute swim twice a week...and I go very little out of it...I think. It is easier to slack off in the swim if you know you have to lift after.  The reverse did not apply for me. I always go hard at the weigths and then have a great swim.
2010-11-26 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3209220

User image

Payson, AZ
Atlas_Shrugged - 2010-11-12 11:40 PM I have personally discovered that lifting before swimming works better for me.

Oftentimes, people muscle through their swim workout and use mostly their arms to propel them through the water, especially triathletes who do not have a swimming background.

What I find is that because your arms are more tired, you learn how to utilize your core and legs to swim, which leads to more effectiveness in the long run. It takes a lot of discipline though, I imagine most people would just let their form suffer.

Hum, that actually makes a lot of sense.  When you look at rock climbers females progress way faster then men initially.  The main reason being that woman are generally weaker and need to rely on technique and men are well...men and try and brute force their way up. 

2010-11-27 10:59 AM

User image

Regular
mix it up. One week do before next week after. Keep the body guessing imo
2010-12-07 11:00 AM

You can also lift on your non-swim days... Sure, you'll be a little tired for your next-day swim, but that won't hurt you. It actually can help you rely less on your arms like someone already said, and it'll also do a good job of loosening up your muscles.

All the best
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lift weights before or after swimming? Rss Feed