General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another silly beginner Q - re: rest days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-12 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: another silly beginner Q - re: rest days
yes, I know rest days are important!

I'm coming to the end of my first week back in training - it's been a pretty low week (blogs are right - all 5 days....), but then again, I'm pretty out of shape right now.

Anyways - tomorrow is supposed to be my "rest" day.  I am also supposed to go swing dancing with some friends.  Is it OK to dance for 3-4 hours on my "rest" day?  Even though it's fun, it's still actually a pretty good workout.

What kind of activities are OK/not OK to do on rest days?  I'm usually really active on the weekends, and right now my training plan has Sat rest. 

2010-11-12 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3209017

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: RE: another silly beginner Q - re: rest days
My thought: don't let triathlon get in the way of the rest of your life.  If you enjoy swing dancing then have at it, and if you're a little sore/tired the next day then modify your Sunday workout. 

One suggestion: I'm not sure what your general schedule is like but most people would plan a week day for their rest day, if they have one.  You might find a better training structure if you plan something for Saturday's/Sunday's--generally the longer sessions--and take Monday off, or do some yoga/stretching for help with flexibility and some active recovery. 

As far as general 'what to do/what not to do' on rest days and in general: only you know the answer to that.  You're just getting back into training so give yourself ample time to recover and let the body readjust to the training.  If after tearing up the dance floor you're feeling less than perfect on Sunday then use that as your rest day knowing that you had fun and also got a good workout in on Saturday.

Hope this helps!
2010-11-12 8:06 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I agree.  Live your life, and work triathlon in around it.
2010-11-13 5:27 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I would say that you should consider swing dancing cross training and take a different day as a rest day.

In general, a short walk around the neighborhood is about all I would recommend for a rest day... nothing that will tax your body. Remember, the purpose of a rest day is to all your body to take advantage of all the time you have put in to build it... it's on rest days we get stronger!
2010-11-13 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

rbtrumpet - 2010-11-12 7:53 PM yes, I know rest days are important!

I'm coming to the end of my first week back in training - it's been a pretty low week (blogs are right - all 5 days....), but then again, I'm pretty out of shape right now.

Anyways - tomorrow is supposed to be my "rest" day.  I am also supposed to go swing dancing with some friends.  Is it OK to dance for 3-4 hours on my "rest" day?  Even though it's fun, it's still actually a pretty good workout.

What kind of activities are OK/not OK to do on rest days?  I'm usually really active on the weekends, and right now my training plan has Sat rest. 

I agree........if you love swing dancing go do it.  Consider it cross training.  Everyones approach is different.  As you gain fitness 'rest' and 'long' become relative.   Make it work for YOUR life.  Everyones life is different IE My life is quite busy and I don't take many rest days.  When I was taking rest days my "rest day" from training was a busy 14 hour work day.................which is not really too restful.  NOT taking a rest day is actually less taxing for me because I don't have to squeeze in a double another day of the week. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another silly beginner Q - re: rest days Rss Feed