General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A lost season really SUX! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-16 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Subject: A lost season really SUX!
Is this what it's like to go down with a season-ending injury?  Is this what it's like for those of you who broke your leg or something?  I haven't been able to train or do any kind of exercise since the first surgery in June.  Then months of radiation and drugs just wore me OUT.  Only recently have I begun to get strength back, but now I have a cold and everything aches.  While I've dropped 20 pounds from merely a lack of eating, this lack of exercise is driving me crazy!  I feel 'soft' and I've got a bad case of cabin fever.  How do you survive 6 months of illness and medicated-induced laziness?!

Sorry...  Having a cranky day.  Also had to pull the boat off the beach and winterize it this past weekend.  Depressing enough after sailing 15-20 times during the year, but I haven't been out once since July.  Grrrr...

Cancer sux.

2010-11-16 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3213413

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: A lost season really SUX!
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-11-17 1:16 AM Is this what it's like to go down with a season-ending injury?  Is this what it's like for those of you who broke your leg or something?  I haven't been able to train or do any kind of exercise since the first surgery in June.  Then months of radiation and drugs just wore me OUT.  Only recently have I begun to get strength back, but now I have a cold and everything aches.  While I've dropped 20 pounds from merely a lack of eating, this lack of exercise is driving me crazy!  I feel 'soft' and I've got a bad case of cabin fever.  How do you survive 6 months of illness and medicated-induced laziness?!

Sorry...  Having a cranky day.  Also had to pull the boat off the beach and winterize it this past weekend.  Depressing enough after sailing 15-20 times during the year, but I haven't been out once since July.  Grrrr...

Cancer sux.

CANCER SUXXX!!!!!!!

I'm really sorry, piglet. {{{MELON PRESS}}}

I only lost most of my season, but I did get two super-cool races in early summer (although I was still quite ill when I did those).

I'm thin, like you, but a flab-heap.

Yup. It sucks.

I'm sorry 'cause yours really does suck way worse than mine, but I have an inkling of how you might feel.

The ONLY benefit is that I've had time to reflect on things in ways I never would have were I living my usual turbo-charged merry-go-round (delightful, but manic) existence, and I've gotten lots of wonderful writing done.

Strength, love, and prayers to you. I promise a {{{MELON PRESS}}} in person one day. You know that.
2010-11-16 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I feel your pain.  I've been injured my share of times during my triathlon days.  It's always disheartening to not be able to train and to watch your fitness fade away.  The one thing I learned is that it's important to look at the big picture and to try and take something positive from every experience.  

I've never personally dealt with Cancer and I can only imagine how hard that battle must have been.  It's simply remarkable that you've come out on top of that battle.  I know it's hard to reflect on how fit you once were, but you have to keep something in mind...  You have just come out on top of what may be the hardest battle you'll ever face in your life.  Being a little "weathered" is expected.

Keep your head up.  Just think, any triathlon in your future will be nothing compared to the battle you just won.      

Best of luck, 
2010-11-16 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

No kidding. 

My season ended last year in JUNE with a broken collarbone at IMCdA.  Grand plans to smoke the HIM later?  Poof

My only planned tri this year was the HIM that I didn't do last year.  Infection 3 days before the race. Poof

Your situation is still a lot worse than mine. 

2010-11-16 1:21 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-11-16 12:16 PM Is this what it's like to go down with a season-ending injury?  Is this what it's like for those of you who broke your leg or something?  I haven't been able to train or do any kind of exercise since the first surgery in June.  Then months of radiation and drugs just wore me OUT.  Only recently have I begun to get strength back, but now I have a cold and everything aches.  While I've dropped 20 pounds from merely a lack of eating, this lack of exercise is driving me crazy!  I feel 'soft' and I've got a bad case of cabin fever.  How do you survive 6 months of illness and medicated-induced laziness?!

Cancer sux.

Hang in there and stay strong!  I can't imagine what you are going through, but I wish you the quickest recovery. 

My training run tomorrow will be in your honor because you aren't able to do one right now.
2010-11-16 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I've had a season ending bike crash (in April 09), but I don't delude myself for a second that I know what you are going through.  If it's any encouragement, however, I had my best season ever, BY FAR, the following season.

There's a benefit to being able to start from scratch, and do it right... vs so many of us who were doing it wrong, and try to work our way towards right but can't shake those nagging overuse/impact injuries.  Yes you've lost a ton of fitness, but in terms of what *most* triathletes are plagued by (tendon/ligament/bone problems)... you'll be 100%.

I consider my bust of a season in 09 as one of the primary reasons I was able to completely transform my 2010 season.

Surely if you have cabin fever, there are low-energy ways to get outside.  Come to Maryland and I'll take you fishing, for starters.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2010-11-16 1:43 PM

2010-11-16 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3213436

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Canadian_Flo - 2010-11-16 1:31 PM Just think, any triathlon in your future will be nothing compared to the battle you just won.      

Best of luck, 

Hmmmm...  That makes me think....

- Completing a triathlon takes mental toughness.  Beating cancer takes mental toughness.

- Triathletes eat gel packs for energy.  Throat cancer patients eat gel packs because it's the only thing that goes down.

- Triathletes will puke during a long run.  Throat cancer patients will puke during anything.

- Triathletes lose wieght from lots of training.  Throat cancer patients lose weight from not eating.

- Triathletes get tired after long workouts.  Throat cancer patients get tired after short radiation treatments.

- Triathletes over-analyze their workout plans and record everything in training logs.  Throat cancer patients over-analyze their treatment options and record everything in daily side-effect logs.

- When triathletes get their nutrition plan wrong, they run the risk of dehydration which requires an IV infusion.  When throat cancer patients get their nutrition plan wrong, they run the risk of dehydration which requires an IV infusion.

- Triathletes shave their heads to be faster swimmers.  Throat cancer patients shave their heads when their hair starts to fall out anyway.

- Being a triathletes will drain your bank account.  Being a throat cancer patient will drain your bank account.

- You can't be a good triathlete and be a smoker.  You can't be a surviving cancer patient and be a smoker.

- Triathletes waste way too much time on Internet bulletin boards posting about their experience.  Throat cancer patients waste way too much time on Internet bulletin boards posting about their experience.

- Triathletes scoff at fat people eating fried foods.  Throat cancer patients are envious of fat people eating fried foods.

- Both triathletes and throat cancer patients long for beer.

- Male triathletes will use that "title" to try and get "she's impressed" laid.  Throat cancer patients will use that title to try and get "sympathy" laid.

- Both triathletes and throat cancer patients consider marijuana "medicinal".

I guess the past 10 years of triathlons has really prepared me for this cancer thing.  The two don't seem so far off at all!  Tongue out

2010-11-16 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3213553

User image

New Haven, CT
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-11-16 2:35 PM
Canadian_Flo - 2010-11-16 1:31 PM Just think, any triathlon in your future will be nothing compared to the battle you just won.      

Best of luck, 

- Completing a triathlon takes mental toughness.  Beating cancer takes mental toughness.

- Triathletes eat gel packs for energy.  Throat cancer patients eat gel packs because it's the only thing that goes down.

- Triathletes will puke during a long run.  Throat cancer patients will puke during anything.

- Triathletes lose wieght from lots of training.  Throat cancer patients lose weight from not eating.

- Triathletes get tired after long workouts.  Throat cancer patients get tired after short radiation treatments.

- Triathletes over-analyze their workout plans and record everything in training logs.  Throat cancer patients over-analyze their treatment options and record everything in daily side-effect logs.

- When triathletes get their nutrition plan wrong, they run the risk of dehydration which requires an IV infusion.  When throat cancer patients get their nutrition plan wrong, they run the risk of dehydration which requires an IV infusion.

- Triathletes shave their heads to be faster swimmers.  Throat cancer patients shave their heads when their hair starts to fall out anyway.

- Being a triathletes will drain your bank account.  Being a throat cancer patient will drain your bank account.

- You can't be a good triathlete and be a smoker.  You can't be a surviving cancer patient and be a smoker.

- Triathletes waste way too much time on Internet bulletin boards posting about their experience.  Throat cancer patients waste way too much time on Internet bulletin boards posting about their experience.

- Triathletes scoff at fat people eating fried foods.  Throat cancer patients are envious of fat people eating fried foods.

- Male triathletes will use that "title" to try and get "she's impressed" laid.  Throat cancer patients will use that title to try and get "sympathy" laid.

I guess the past 10 years of triathlons has really prepared me for this cancer thing.  The two don't seem so far off at all!  Tongue out

I don't know you, but you are the man. sending you some good thoughts.
2010-11-16 1:52 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I've had season ending injuries a couple times over the years.  Nothing like what you are going through.  I agree...cancer sucks!!  Positive thoughts going your way! 
2010-11-16 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3213553

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-11-16 11:35 AM

Best of luck, 

That is a great analogy!
2010-11-16 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3213568

User image

Extreme Veteran

Plus, x2 on the run in your honor!!

2010-11-16 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
IMO injury doesn't compare with what your are going through. Your body was destroying itself and working against you. I witnessed a lot of strength in both of your posts.
2010-11-16 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I've lost more than one season to injury. It truly does suck. That "loss of control" feeling. Futility.

I've watched your log as you've been going through treatment... I can only hope to have your strength if I ever have to go through anything like that.
2010-11-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3213625

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area
tracyhmcd - 2010-11-16 2:23 PM

Plus, x2 on the run in your honor!!

X3

Love the attitude!  You'll be back at the Tri's in no time.
2010-11-16 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm visiting my folks in MN as my dad started chemo for stage 4 cancer today. The reality of what cancer is and does was something I haven't seen up close as I did today. Many there being treated were younger than I am.

I have had injury caused by illness I contracted this year that I lost time training and I got slower when I could train. Learning to accept what is and being able to still do what I love was good for me.

Hope you beat this soon so you are able to get back to doing what you love again!

2010-11-16 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
All you can do is play the hand you're dealt.  You're NOT 'soft' or lazy.  The toll some of those meds can take on the body & mind is very real.  Take pride in doing the best you can one day at a time (within your doc's orders). 
Hang in there.  We all luv ya!!!!!

2010-11-17 12:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Doug, thanks for sharing, I hear your positive attitude and it's inspiring.  Hang in there.
I'm restarting after a lost season.  But my broken arm is nothing compared to your deal. 

Any idiot stockbroker can look like a genius when the market's rising steadily year after year.  Any triathlete in their 20's should be setting PR's, and going longer.  It takes real mental fortitude to go through a down cycle and restart.  One has to allow themself to be sincerely proud of accomplishments at the new, reset expectations level.  Sure it's not a lifetime PR, but it's a new PR for this stage of the game.

Sending you 'good vibes'.  Keep charging!
2010-11-17 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
I lost a couple of years due to knee stuff...sucks so bad to watch other people do what you want/need to do.

I can already tell you are dedicating your life to this battle like you do with tris. You'll win this one, and be racing again before you know it. Everyone will tell you "how fast that time passed", but just like training, you will know what it took to win this one.

Just win baby. Pulling for you from Rocklin, CA.

AC
2010-11-17 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Not sure what happened to me this season, but other than a marathon in March, it went down in flames.  Everything else was a fail - centuries turned to metrics and didn't toe the line on my favorite races.  Money was a major player in the equation.

We just winterized our boat as well a couple of weeks ago.  That is depressing.  It's admitting to yourself that summer is over and the cold weather is about to set in for good. 

I came across your CB site and have been very inspired by your attitude throughout the last 6 months or so.  Cancer got ahold of the wrong guy.  It had to know it would never win.

Strolls around the block and spins with the kiddos on the new MTBs will lead to bits of training that will get you through the winter to the spring...sailing season

You get a free cranky day once in awhile.

2010-11-17 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

a thought they canceled that TV show?

Stay strong man! 

2010-11-17 11:00 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I totally understand where you are coming from.

I started out my season really well in Feb/ March with a couple run alone events that were fantastic.  It went to h3ll in a handbasket after that.  Spent May and June out with asthma and associated issues so I missed a favorite local sprint.....spent that time on a month of steroids and the levaquin.....6 weeks later I tore my gastrocs, likely due to the levaquin and steroid usage.....I have been rehabbing that since August.

Lumpy and fat is qa good description.

Hang in there, Doug.

2010-11-17 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
x4 on the run. I'll be thinking of you sending good vibes your way.

I was benched with injuries this past year. I cracked my ankle last christmas morning and couldnt do any real training until august. I'll never forget the chit-eating grin on my face the first time I stepped out on to a track to run, people must of thought I was bananas. I was almost laughing I was SO HAPPY to run again. It was a LONG-B O R I N G-frustrating-depressing wait to get there but you'll get there and you'll look back at this miserable time and every second that you are training you will love that much more because you know how it feels to not be able to do it. <B
2010-11-17 12:14 PM

I'll throw in another training run. You comparison between throat cancer and tris is awesome.

Stay strong! (And take some cranky time once in a while.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A lost season really SUX! Rss Feed