Trifreak
10F / -12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 10s
Overall Rank = 91/98
Age Group = F2024
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00. My plan was to leave for the race site at 4:30 so I could get a good spot. For some reason, my stomach was bothering me. Just the smallest smell would make me want to throw up. It was probably just nerves combined with the early hour. To solve the problem, I ate a Fruit and Nut bar. I got a nice spot in the transition area.

I had a lot of spare time after I set up my transition area so I walked around the race site a little making sure I knew exactly where I racked. There was a radio station there playing music. I thought I was going to rip my ears off! It was a bunch of teeny bopper pop crap. The last straw for me was when they started playing Nsync. There was no way I was going to race with that song going through my head. I quickly retrieved my MP3 player from my car and turned it way up. Eventually time passed and it was time to get my wetsuit on and head down to the swim start. The prerace meeting was very poorly planned. We were all down at the edge of the lake and the PA was about 400 yards away and the speakers were pointing away from the beach. Who thought that was a good idea? So we pretty much could not hear anything. The Olympic swim course was changed to two loops rather than one. Everyone listened to the swim course directions then everyone started talking and I could not hear anything. It would have been better if the race director came down to the beach and did the prerace meeting with a bullhorn rather than using the PA system.
Event warmup:

None. I really should do some sort of warmup but I thought I was going to be standing around on the beach a while and I did not want to get cold.
Swim
  • 06m 54s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

So finally, they lined everyone up. The first wave was the men’s Olympic distance. They lined up along the beach waiting for the horn. Then the race director decided that having the Olympic distance racers go first was a bad idea now that they will be swimming a 2 lap course. So the men’s sprint was marched in and was sent off. Then it was my turn. I waded out a little and submerged myself so my wetsuit fit right. The water was really warm. It was a beach start so I had to wade back into shore. I was a little worried about getting thrashed like in my last race because I ended up being in the middle of the pack.

When the horn went off, I sprinted into the water and I kept on sprinting toward the first buoy. Pretty soon, I realized that I was all alone. I was not following anybody. I was kind of worried at this point because I started to feel tired, really tired. I sprinted a little too hard and was having a hard time keeping up my pace. After I rounded the first buoy, at least one girl passed me. I was still holding a decent pace though. I rounded the second buoy and headed back to shore. Of course the sun was in my eyes and I could not see anything. I even wore my metallic goggles because the same thing happened to me in my last race. I could kind of see some splashed in front of me so I just followed. Another girl passed me at this point. I swam into shore as far as possible and started running into transition. Another girl passed me at this point.

What would you do differently?:

I need to work on swimming endurance. The sun was a problem with sighting. I also think I should be more confident in my swimming ablility. I think I did well in the swim but I am not really happy with my performance because I died and couldn't keep up my pace.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

I felt like I was going to pass out after the swim so I took my time in transition.

Work on swim/bike bricks.
Bike
  • 50m 50s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I am still pretty slow on the bike. Everyone passed me. I did not pass anyone. I am getting better though. I am actully fairly happy with my performance because I kept a decent pace on this hilly course. A bunch of people encouraged as they passed which was really cool. I got a complement on my bike too.

Ride lots. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Legs felt like jello running into transition. I couldn't remember which spot was mine on the rack for a second. I didn't have to change shoes so I just took off my helmet and was off.

Work on bike/run bricks.
Run
  • 40m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my weakest part of the race due to my knees but I can tell I am getting better. I didn't have any knee pain during the race at all. I saw a pot bellied pig in a yard along the race course.

I am going to keep building my running slowly so I don't mess up my knees. My current plan has been working so far so I am going to stick to it.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit and drank some water. I stretched and had some pancakes and sausage. Checked the results. Packed my stuff and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience and lack of skill in the bike and run portions. When I solve these problems, I will be unstoppable!

Event comments:

I really liked this race. There was a lot of comradery between the racers. Everyone seemed like they were having a good time. This was an Escape from Alcatraz qualifying race so I was surprised there weren't more people racing. This is the first year for this race and even though there were a few glitches, all in all it was a great race and I will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2004-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:54 | 440 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 4/98
Performance: Below average
Suit: Ironman Instinct Sleeveless
Course: Triangle course counter clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:50 | 12 miles | 14.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 90/98
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops on a moderately hilly course on residential streets.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:14 | 03.1 miles | 12m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 94/98
Performance: Good
Course: Loop on residential streets. Some hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: Federal Escape Triathlon

2005-08-02 5:37 AM
in reply to: #213401

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Federal Escape Triathlon
That is so cool, winning the swim in AG and 4th overall. If I ever got in first place I wouldn't know where to go, I would stop and wait )) Awesome
2005-08-02 7:36 AM

Champion
Good race Harmony. Everyone excels in something and you reall thrashed them on the swim! Keep plugging along, the biking and running will come with the increased mileage. Congrats on a fine result!
2005-08-02 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Good job, improvement in every race.  Since you are in Washington, you wouldn't think sunshine would be a problem.   You never see officials ever hand out critique sheets.  What could we do better next year?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Federal Escape Triathlon Rss Feed