General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Review: Planet-X Wheels - 50/50 Carbon Clinchers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-23 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Manalapan (Central New Jersey)
Subject: Review: Planet-X Wheels - 50/50 Carbon Clinchers
Purchased these wheels from Planet-X-USA just two weeks ago.  I purchased the wheelset and their accessory bundle (wheel bag, titanium skewers, valve extenders, spoke wrench).

The accessory bundle was a great purchase, very happy with that kit.

Now on to the wheels.  Out of the box they were true as can be.  Bladed spokes were quite solid.  The carbon fiber finish is beautiful.  Wheels come with new brake pads and pad holders for both the front and the back.  I decided to purchase a new cassette, Shimano 105 12-25 and mounting the cassette was very easy with a Park Tool cassette installation tool.

I put on a standard butyl rubber tube.  I decided to use tubes with 80mm valves.  60mm valve tubes do not cut it.  You could use the valve extender but I had a small issue with them as specialized tubes (what I bought) do not have removable cores and the valve extenders that come with the accessory bundle require removable cores.  Or you could just buy a TopPeak valve extender and be done.

I mounted Conti GP4000S tires.  Was a little hesitant about using even plastic tire levers on the carbon fiber edge as I did not want to damage the wheel.  I think you do have to be careful when doing this as these are not alloy rims.  However, I got the tires on (they were new and so will probably loosed up a bit).  Max tire pressure is 120 per Planet X.  I inflate mine to 110 and don't go any higher.  

Installed the new brakes and put the wheels on the bike (a Felt Z85).  These wheels look amazing.

Gave them a little spin and watched them spin forever!

Okay, first ride, on the back roads of central jersey.  Immediately I noticed a huge difference in ride quality.  (Was on stock Mavic CXP 22s beforehand).  Like riding on a cloud.  Wheels appear to be quite stiff and sturdy.  Did not experience any of the "noisy freewheel" issue that others had reported.  Almost imperceptible was the noise when freewheeling.  

As with any deep wheel ( i presume ) took a little getting used to when riding in a cross wind.  But nothing a few rides didn't take care off.  

Wheels were quite responsive to handling, and sprints.  Absolutely amazing in the flats and on the descent.  HUGE noticeable speed increases for me.  

Accidental Strength Test #1
Ran into a pit bull on the road and decided to take off, accidentally ran into a ditch while looking back for the dog and saw the rough road too late to pull out.  Hit it hard, came out of it and kept on going.  Wheels held up like a trooper, very strong.  ( I weight 182 lbs )

Intentional Strength Test #2
My friend came by and saw the bike, wanted to take it for a test ride.  He weighs 225 lbs.  I was a little hesitant as Planet X holds out a 265 rider max limit.  But I gave in and he took it for a ride.  He gets back and says "It's like riding on a cloud."  The wheels held up again and continued to be true.

Braking
While there is certainly a reduction in the braking ability between alloy wheels and CF wheels, I found the Planet X brake pads to be very effective.  There is a sheen on the braking surface that has to wear off, but I had no trouble stopping or slowing in the flats or on steep fast descents.  

Service
I have found the guys at Planet X to be very responsive and courteous.  They actually forgot to send along the spoke wrench and offered me a free t-shirt to make up for it.  I had one question about the wheel and got an answer back from them within about 7 hours.  Very pleased with the service these guys provide.  

Well, that seems to be about it.  I am very very pleased with the quality of these wheels, the accessories and the service.  Given the high price of CF wheels, I think these are an amazing deal.  Would definitely recommend them to anyone!

If anyone has any additional questions, just PM me.

Cheers, J

(photo 2.JPG)

(photo 1.JPG)

(photo 3.JPG)

(photo 1.JPG)

(photo 1.JPG)

(photo 2.JPG)

(photo 3.JPG)

(photo 4.JPG)

(photo 5.JPG)

(photo 5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo 2.JPG (26KB - 38 downloads)
photo 1.JPG (32KB - 31 downloads)
photo 3.JPG (28KB - 36 downloads)
photo 1.JPG (34KB - 31 downloads)
photo 1.JPG (27KB - 18 downloads)
photo 2.JPG (25KB - 24 downloads)
photo 3.JPG (28KB - 29 downloads)
photo 4.JPG (25KB - 26 downloads)
photo 5.JPG (34KB - 28 downloads)
photo 5.JPG (33KB - 32 downloads)

2010-11-24 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3224222

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Review: Planet-X Wheels - 50/50 Carbon Clinchers
Great review, thanks!!!

For the record, when i contacted Planet X on the rider weight for their wheels, they told me 215lbs. Glad to see your friend had no issues as i have been looking at these wheels for a while.
2011-12-19 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3225094

You guys have had these wheels for over a year now.

Are they still going stong?   any regrets?  I'm just about to purhcase 

a set..     thanks Dwight in New Orleans

2011-12-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3224222

User image

Veteran
OBX, NC

I've had mine for almost a year and are still perfectly true and have had no issue with them at all.  I have the 50/82 tubulars though.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Review: Planet-X Wheels - 50/50 Carbon Clinchers Rss Feed