United States
Vineman
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 17m 28s
Overall Rank = 884/1800??
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 221/305??
Pre-race routine:

Ahh yes, the obligatory autopsy report, err race report. This race routine started after the Florida Half Ironman 5/22/05. That race I followed a 26 week plan that pretty much started immediately after my first year of triathlons ended. I put training above almost everything else but was no longer able to put life on hold for this race. I also signed up for IM CDA which made me want to get this year over with so I could just start working towards IM. So I spent the last few months keeping active but basically detraining. When all the books and magazines say you need to take a break between seasons, they are right. So lets get this race over with...

Drove up to Sonoma (~7 hour drive) with wife and two kids. It was the first time my family was coming with. I wanted to make it a family vacation but also get done what I needed to get done. Thsi ws pretty hard as this race was tough logistically. Two tanistion areas, hotels a good half hour from swim, registration in morning, run gear drop off in afternoon, practice swim... My eating schedule got way out of wack and my blood sugars were on a crazy roller coaster ride.

Race morning I woke up about 3 hours before start. The last few months I have been training with Ultramet so I mixed up a batch (Ultramet, 1 bannana, ice, 16 OZ Orange-Pineapple-Bannana juice, some water hit it with the boat motor). Bladder and such cooperated for some relief a the hotel. Brought a gatorade, water bottle, and Odwalla bar to eat while waiting to start. Nutrition seemd to be going good.
Event warmup:

Hopped around while waiting in the porta potty lines. I got in the river 8 minutes before start and swam back and forth.
Swim
  • 38m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

An average swim for me. I still haven't learned how to swim over the summer, but it is on the schedule for the off season. The waves went 8 minutes apart so it was strange not coming up to many stragglers in previous waves or getting past by the sharks behind me. I always liked to try to hop on to the feet of one of the faster swimmers from the wave behind me for the home stretch, it helps me when my concentration is starting to wander. Since no one was around I just went on my merry way. I sighted good except for the one time I looked up and I was basically swimming straight to shore (at a time I shouldn't have been). That pretty much follows my rule of always try to make a break for Hawaii during each Tri.
What would you do differently?:

roll on to side, reach, glide, repeat......
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

There was a chute from the swim end to transition and it was just littered with 100's of swim caps. I never saw that before so I added mine to the pile.

The main part of the transition was on a muddy, pea gravel type beach. The more I tried to get gravel off my feet the more mud and gravel I wound up covering me with. You also had to shove everything in a plastic bag so they could cart it to the finish line 15 or so miles away. Yeah, that was nice, a wet wetsuit, my clean dry warmups and flip flops all simmering in stinky river water all day in a plastic bag.

I don't know but I'm guessing Reid and Deboom didn't get mud and gravel on them. I'm sure the sponsors took care of them.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

This was where I needed to show great restraint. I know I could have hammered this course and dropped about 20 minutes from my time but my real goal in this race was to run every step of the 1/2 marathon. I started out using real easy gears and passed a couple of people but many more passed me. Damn that was hard. I would watch these people pass knowing I could fly by them if I wanted. Oh well, those were the rules set forth by yours truly. Hopefully I'll see you later on the run.

I use a little bracket with 2 CO2 cartridges and pump on the frame behind my seat. It's been there for a year now. Never had any problems with it - well until today. It kept slipping to the side and I would then hit it with my hamstrings. It slip, I move it back, It slip, I move it back... We played that game for about 10 minutes when I decided I needed to take it off and then either, put it in my pocket or crush it into oblivion with a rock and the tree stump I stopped next to. Common sense somehow won and I put it into my pocket. Within 5 seconds of pulling over to make this little adjustment 2 racers asked if I needed help. I love this sport! I put the pump and such into my pocket where my endurolytes where, when I went to take my second hour dose of Endurolytes they were gone. Luckily I had more waiting at T2.

I felt very comfortable in the aero position the entire time. I attribute that to taking Pilates the last few months. Works wonders.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

You set your T2 transition up the night before and then don't see it again until you race into it. As I was running in I was trying to remember what exactly I left there. As with the Florida Half, as soon as I sat down to put socks and shoes on I peed, and peed, and peed. I guess that's my thing. Luckily neither of these transitions were on pavement, that could have been gross. You might not want to set up next to me if you have the option though.
Run
  • 2h 39m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, here it was, the run. Spent the last two months thinking about this part. I'm not planning on being fast but I'm planning on running the whole thing. Yeah, whatever. I started running and I was next to a lady for the first mile, looked at each other and said, "Hi, I guess we are going to be with each other for the next 2 hours." It actually was nice to have someone going the same pace. Then we passed mile marker 1 and I was at a 9 min/mile. Blazing I know, but too fast for me at that point. I slowed down a little and apparently she did to. The next few miles we ran at 9:30 ish. Much better. After mile 3 I suddenly realized I needed to go to the bathroom REALLY BAD. And unfortunately not what you could just do in your shorts. Running the next 3/4 of a mile to the aid station and porta potties was not pleasant. Can you hurt yourself from squeezing your, uh, cheeks together that hard? So, I took care of business but lost my partner.

After that I tried to take some endurolytes but as soon as they hit my stomach I wanted to throw up. After gagging I settled into just being nauseous for the rest of the day.

The turnaround was in La Crema Winery. I pulled in and ran through the water misters. Ok, that's just a bad idea. Now the one little area of my sunglasses I could still see through the sweat was trashed with water droplets. Heck, I'm running 10 min/mile by now, I'm not going to be running into anything fast enough to hurt it or get hurt. But now came the highlight of the day (week,month). My family was there, wife, 3 YO boy and 4 YO girl. "GO DADDY GO!!" That was soo cool. I ran over and got some high fives and went on my way. Everyone around me patted me on the back and said "Way to go Daddy." I didn't even feel my feet hitting the pavement for the next few minutes. I did make the horrible realization that my daughter was naked though. Why the heck is my daughter standing naked in a winery? I thought that I'm going to have to remember to ask about that one. Turns out she had to go to the bathroom and didn't want to miss anything so she took off her clothes and ran into the bushes. I raise them right don't I?!

Ok, now the good part. At about mile 7 I was still on track, run every step, but it was getting harder, real hard. I looked up and saw a long hill. NO FLipping way I have to walk up that or I'll be toast. So I gave into my demons and started walking. When I got mostly up the hill I tried running again. My legs had pretty much seized up and the I got a cramp in one hamstring and the other calf. The calf cramp forced my foot straight down like I was a ballerina. I had to gently ease it back and try to run. From then on it was the run/walk/stretch death march back to town. I did the first 7 miles in about 64 minutes and the following 6 in about 90. It is an awful feeling to watch teh time just keep sliding by and you can't do anything about it.

Be a better runner. Do much more overdistance training on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Used the remaining energy to fend death off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough long training days.

Event comments:

I did worse than my previous 1/2 Ironman as far as time and ranking but I feel I had a better race. I was so happy through mile 7 of the run. After the Florida Half I was very disappointed and let down. I didn't have that at all this time. I'm anxious to start training for an October marathon, take a break and hit the IM training plan. I'll think about my goal of running every step and decide if it will make sense for the IM. Maybe I'm a good Galloway candidate.

Last updated: 2005-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:09 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/305??
Overall: 0/1800??
Performance: Average
Suit: XTerra Ventilator longjohn
Course: Up the Russian River and then back down. Rumor has it we swam against the current on the way out and with the current on the way in. After swimming in the Pacific I didn't feel no stinkin' current. I tried looking at my watch at the turnaround to check if I negative split but my goggles were too fogged up to see.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:59
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:08 | 56 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Rolling. Nice course, nothing real big to climb but not flat and boring. It was fun to ride through the vineyards.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:39:43 | 13.1 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling out and back. The race website didn't have any course profiles. I knew the bike was rolling, I don't know why I thought the run was flat. The course was flat for almost the first mile but when I turned a corner onto a long section of road I saw what looked like a rolling staircase just going up. Damn!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-02 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: Half Vineman Triathlon

2005-08-02 6:56 PM
in reply to: #214494

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Half Vineman Triathlon
Great race report! Great to have family there, no? My mom and brother and two friends placed themselves at various parts of the bike course, and it made me fly for about 5 miles after each one. (Two of them were surprises.)

Your bathroom shenanigans cracked me up. As I was running the first mile of the race, I realized I had to use a restroom... quite badly. I passed all those porta potties at the construction site, because I was sure that they would have one at the first aid station. When I got there, they said 'no bathroom' but you can go back to the porta potties at the construction site... I thought they must be out of their flippin' mind if they thought I was going to add mileage to my run! So, I get the squeezing butt cheeks comment...

Your race seemed very solid to me. Good luck with your marathon and IM. Is it AZ that you are doing??

Dana
2005-08-02 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Great race, I enjoyed reading your report as well. My day was about 2 hours longer but I still had a good time. If I could only run it would be that much beter.
2005-08-03 7:24 AM

Online or Offline

Great race report! Entertaining and brutally honest!   And way to hang in there on the run!

I think my tri season was pretty much done after my first race of the year . Trained all winter for it and when the race came and went....well, I think I was ready for something else, and it wasn't a different race course....

it happens!

I'm with ya on taking a break from tri, doing your marathon and then ramping it up again for your IM! Those are my plans after August -- but I have YET to sign up for a 2006 IM

2005-08-03 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great job! Look forward to seeing you in Idaho in June. james
2005-08-03 1:31 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

LOL!  Your race report had me cracking up.  Especially "Why is my daughter naked in a winery?"

Great job, and good luck in your upcoming marathon! 

2005-08-05 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Dacula, GA
Great report!! I was there too! Had the wife to cheer me on, but not my two daughters -the winery report is priceless!

I can relate to your running story. I started cramping in the quads just before the climb on Chalk Hill road - had to ride that whoe damn thing sitting (if I stood, I would fall over because my legs would sieze up) and couldn't push the pedals, had to pull them - that sucked!

I thought I had shaken the cramps when I started out of T2, but right after I rounded the turn out onto the course (where the house construction was) I almost fell over from the cramps in the quads and hams. I had the same rythym - stretch/run/walk/stop/gu/gatorade/water/stetch...

Given it all - Awesome race course!!! Think I will probably go back again next year and post a reasonable time.

JG
2005-08-06 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Greate race report - sounds like you enjoyed yourself, even if the run didn't go as expected.

Dennis

2005-08-08 10:10 PM

User image

Loved the race report, Paul! Entertaining and honest. So great you could have your family there with you. I think your race was well executed. You stuck to your plan and it worked out 'almost' perfectly. Looking forward to following your progress towards your marathon in October! ...and then...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed