General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preventing Muscle Loss While Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-01 11:49 PM

Gibsonton, Florida
Subject: Preventing Muscle Loss While Training
I am currently training for a half marathon in February.  I lift pretty heavy during the winter using olympic and combo sets to build power and strength for the upcoming tri season.  However, I got to thinking that with all of the running I will be doing, I may lose a significant amount of muscle.  I've seen some pretty jacked up triathletes, both men and women, and was wondering how they retain all of that muscle with the level of cardio that they're doing.  Is it genetics or are they just putting in an amount of weight training that is comparable to their s/b/r training times and effort?  Also, is there any truth to the information I've read on body builder sites that states that extended cardio sessions will often result in a loss of muscle?  I have a hard time believing anything that could be based on Bro Science.

2010-12-02 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3233237

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Preventing Muscle Loss While Training
If you use muscles, you will build/keep them.  If you don't, you will tend to lose them. 

"Jacked up" triathletes you see may, in fact, do a fair amount of lifting.  Of course, that probably doesn't help them to be better triathletes.  The muscles they build swimming, biking and running (not the "jacked up" type of muscle look one usually associates with working out in the gym) are the ones that matter for them since those are the ones they use.
2010-12-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3233237

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Preventing Muscle Loss While Training
Define what muscles you're worried about losing?

Will your lifting strength drop off if you put in the proper time to perform at your best at a marathon or triathlon?  Yes.  The time required and the type of training isn't conducive to pulling 400+ lbs on a deadlift.  Can some do it?  Yep.  They also don't spend enough time s/b/r'ing or they have more time than I do to spend doing it all.  They also must eat like monsters because the caloric level to do the cardio and maintain the mass of a bb'er is pretty high.

Now from experience I can tell you that I went from squatting 365, deadlifting 415, and benching 315 to squatting 275, deading 355, and benching 245 once I started putting the correct time into s/b/r'ing and only lifting heavy twice a week.  So holding onto what you gain for the most part is possible.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preventing Muscle Loss While Training Rss Feed