2005-08-03 10:18 AM
in reply to: #214980

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Setting Realistic Expectations
OK here is my new quote for the day:

ahem, me, me, me...

"So someone pees in your Wheatie's so what? You either eat it pee and all or get a new bowl"

2005-08-03 10:22 AM
in reply to: #214940

User image

Buttercup

"What I want to know, now, is what is wrong with getting pee in your Wheaties every now and then?"

Pee in your own Wheaties and leave me to my dreams and aspirations. "Lead, follow or get out of the way." Throwing up emotional roadblocks is not one of the options.

You call it realism. Let's try a few realistic cheers.

• At a triathlon: "You might be able to do it if you trained hard enough."
  • At an IM event: "You can probably finish but you're looking pretty beat." 
  • At an OW race: "Wow, that water is choppy. That is going to be one tough swim. You'll probably take-in water if you're not careful. You know, lemon sharks swim off that pier."

No, those won't do at all. Instead, you hear affirmations. "YOU CAN DO IT!" You see signs that say "Suck it up, Buttercup" and "GO!" Those affirmations which appeal to our spirit make all the difference in the world.

These people said it much better than I can:

Don't allow anyone to tell you what you can and cannot do. Be tough, be stubborn, love yourself, and find friends who believe in you. Recognize your victories." - Joan Benoit Samuelson

The five S's of sports training are stamina, speed, strength, skill and spirit, but the greatest of these is spirit" -- Ken Doherty

2005-08-03 10:27 AM
in reply to: #214990

User image

Renee - 2005-08-03 10:22 AM

"What I want to know, now, is what is wrong with getting pee in your Wheaties every now and then?"

Pee in your own Wheaties and leave me to my dreams and aspirations. "Lead, follow or get out of the way." Throwing up emotional roadblocks is not one of the options.

You call it realism. Let's try a few realistic cheers.

• At an OW race: "Wow, that water is choppy. That is going to be one tough swim. You'll probably take-in water if you're not careful. You know, lemon sharks swim off that pier."

No, those won't do at all. Instead, you hear affirmations. "YOU CAN DO IT!" You see signs that say "Suck it up, Buttercup" and "GO!" Those affirmations which appeal to our spirit make all the difference in the world.

These people said it much better than I can:

Don't allow anyone to tell you what you can and cannot do. Be tough, be stubborn, love yourself, and find friends who believe in you. Recognize your victories." - Joan Benoit Samuelson

The five S's of sports training are stamina, speed, strength, skill and spirit, but the greatest of these is spirit" -- Ken Doherty

Here here.

2005-08-03 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I am not talking about looking you dead in they eye and telling you that you can't. I am talking about asking you if you are willing to make the sacrafices and there is nothing wrong with that.

There is a difference between a friend asking you if it is something that you can realistically do and telling you that you are "stupid for even thinking about it". I would not say that, did not imply I said it and have never done anything like that.

I don't mind someone asking me if I am sure. At Grand Haven the water was 53 degrees. My husband asked me if I was sure. He was not trying to tell me not to or keep me from my dream he wanted to know if I was commited enough to brave it. He wanted me to sell him my dream. I did and I did it by getting in the water.
2005-08-03 10:38 AM
in reply to: #214968

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
the bear - 2005-08-03 10:10 AM

I'M THE BIGGEST TIT SUPPORTER IN THIS AREA!

Does that me we should start calling you the BRA instead of the Bear?
2005-08-03 10:40 AM
in reply to: #214797

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
I think we should always question each others goals...If my friends hadnt questioned mine I would have quit a while ago. But because they asked and asked again to make sure i could do it...it made me really think, research and analyze...Now I KNOW I can...and i WILL>

2005-08-03 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Renee - 2005-08-03 11:22 AM

Let's try a few realistic cheers.

No, those won't do at all. Instead, you hear affirmations. ">

These are not realistic cheers. These are pure bull if you have done the training and put in the time. What I told him and these sorts of things are different but I suspect we could argue all day about it. In the minds of some I am a bad friend and my claiming that is not true is not going to change anyone's mind on the subject is it? So it is what it is. I don't believe unquestioning support is supportive and some believe I am not being supportive if I do not support without question. It is a simple difference of views based on life experiences. No one can change someone's view of life. Differences in the way we see things make us question ourselves and our motives and that is fine with me.
2005-08-03 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Realistic expectations are important... but never understimate the power of good training.
Last year I started training for my fist marathon. My running partner (the one who got me into it) finished his first marathon in 6:20. He was hoping to make his second marathon in 6 hrs...
We followed a plan, researched the web, got good tips.
He finished his second marathon in 5:20. That was a whole hour faster!!!!!!!! WOW
His goal is now to finish in 4:30.... Another hour faster? Maybe...
I see it difficult but I tried not to poo on his parade... I adjusted the goal to 4:45 (in reality my main goal is not to get injured and do it under 5 hrs).
I guess you have to hope..... as long as you don't get obsessed with that stuff I guess it is OK to dream a little...
2005-08-03 10:47 AM
in reply to: #215016

User image

Buttercup

clflgrl - 2005-08-03 10:45 AM  I guess it is OK to dream a little...

Just a little?

2005-08-03 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
He wanted me to sell him my dream

I do not believe you should have to SELL anyone on your dreams. They're yours and yours alone. Who am I to tell someone their expectations aren't realistic? If they think they want to make it happen, they should try. It would be presumptuous and arrogant of me to question anyone's expectations or goals or deem them "realistic". I am not a coach and I do not have the experience to do such a thing.

2005-08-03 11:35 AM
in reply to: #215062

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
pippen - 2005-08-03 12:28 PM

He wanted me to sell him my dream

I do not believe you should have to SELL anyone on your dreams. They're yours and yours alone. Who am I to tell someone their expectations aren't realistic? If they think they want to make it happen, they should try. It would be presumptuous and arrogant of me to question anyone's expectations or goals or deem them "realistic". I am not a coach and I do not have the experience to do such a thing.

We sell our dreams all the time. Every time we tell someone what we are planning to do and try. In the process of voicing your dreams outloud we are put that energy out there to happen. At least that's what I believe.

No one writes there goals out here for their edification alone. We are giving them to others for a lot of diffferent reasons. To share and make them believe (sale), to convince ourselves (sale), to get people to tell us we can do it (sale). There isn't anything sordid about it.

2005-08-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: #215076

User image

Veteran
Denver
No one writes there goals out here for their edification alone.

Speak for yourself. My personal task list (AKA goals) is simply that - a task list. If you need to see your goal list as something different, well then that's what you've got to do....

The only person I have to "sell" my dreams to is myself. I do not feel the need to "sell", "convince" or otherwise "ask permission" of anyone for my own goals and dreams.

2005-08-03 1:10 PM
in reply to: #215204

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
pippen - 2005-08-03 1:52 PM

No one writes there goals out here for their edification alone.

Speak for yourself. My personal task list (AKA goals) is simply that - a task list. If you need to see your goal list as something different, well then that's what you've got to do....

The only person I have to "sell" my dreams to is myself. I do not feel the need to "sell", "convince" or otherwise "ask permission" of anyone for my own goals and dreams.

I am not going to argue with you about this. I put my thoughts out there and you can agree or not as you will and need to.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Setting Realistic Expectations Rss Feed  

of 3