General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iPhone, tracking your run and listening to music Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-11 9:09 AM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Subject: iPhone, tracking your run and listening to music
Disclaimer - I still use a "dumb" phone and my questions are in regards to my fiancee's iphone.  I may sound like an idiot

My fiancee uses her iphone 3G as a stopwatch and to listen to music while she runs (I believe with the music/radio app Pandora).  I know there are a ton of great running apps to keep track of distance and time, but she says she can't use them because she is using the music app - yes, she's one of those people who apparently can't run without music.  Does anyone know if there is a way around this?  If not, she's probably getting a Garmin GPS watch for Christmas (but a model less fancy than my 310xt).

Thanks!

2010-12-11 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3245151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: RE: iPhone, tracking your run and listening to music
2 ways to get around this with an iphone.

1. update to the latest software.  But this WILL slow down her phone since it's only a 3G.  The update will allow multiple apps to run at the same time.

2.  She can use the iPod app and a running app at the same time.  Start the music then go into the running app.

As for running I would recommend MapMyRun.  They have a whole series of apps out there.
2010-12-12 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3245157

Fairfax
runkeper is also suppose to be a VERY good running app, per reviews. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but they have a free version and a paid, 4.99 version. 
2010-12-13 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3246203

Veteran
YYZ / MNL
i've been using runkeeper pro for months now. it's a must have for me during my runs. the syncing with their online run reports are great. all my runs are logged and i can track of my progress easily.
2010-12-13 4:30 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Runkeeper is great.  You control the ipod from inside the app, so there's no need to flip around.

The feedback is unbeliveable, In the Pro-version you can get split times read to you in your ear phones. 
2010-12-24 9:43 PM

Digifit is another iphone app to check out.  It comes with an ant+ adapter so with the right equipment you can record hr, and other stats.  It allows you to play a playlist while using it.

2010-12-24 11:37 PM
in reply to: #3245157

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
cornick - 2010-12-11 7:23 AM 2 ways to get around this with an iphone.

1. update to the latest software.  But this WILL slow down her phone since it's only a 3G.  The update will allow multiple apps to run at the same time.

This won't work.  iOS 4 - the latest operating system update for iPhones - does not enable multitasking on 3G phones - only 3GS phones (the newer, faster model).   The 3G was often called the "iPhone 2" because it's the 2nd release of the phone.

Worse, people upgrading a 3G to iOS 4 have commonly reported that it incredibly slows down the phone, often to the point of making it useless.  I can personally attest to this - upgrading my 3G all but bricked it.  Some people will say that even a 3GS doesn't run iOS 4 all that well.  And once upgraded, it's nearly impossible to go back.

There is even a lawsuit going on right now claiming that Apple intentionally ruined 3G iPhones with this update, just so people would have to upgrade to the iPhone 4.
2010-12-25 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
I switched to Runkeeper and love it. I like the voice cues. Have it set to let me know my average pace at each mile.
2010-12-31 11:31 AM

Regular
Spruce Grove
Did she end up with the watch for Christmas? Wink

With her version of the iphone she's a bit limited for sure - but she wouldn't have any trouble if she listed to music via the phone's ipod, instead of using pandora. I use nike plus or allsportgps apps for running outside and listen to my ipod running playlists.
2010-12-31 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3261000

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brucemorgan - 2010-12-24 11:37 PM

cornick - 2010-12-11 7:23 AM 2 ways to get around this with an iphone.

This won't work.  iOS 4 - the latest operating system update for iPhones - does not enable multitasking on 3G phones - only 3GS phones (the newer, faster model).   The 3G was often called the "iPhone 2" because it's the 2nd release of the phone.

Worse, people upgrading a 3G to iOS 4 have commonly reported that it incredibly slows down the phone, often to the point of making it useless.  I can personally attest to this - upgrading my 3G all but bricked it.  Some people will say that even a 3GS doesn't run iOS 4 all that well.  And once upgraded, it's nearly impossible to go back.

There is even a lawsuit going on right now claiming that Apple intentionally ruined 3G iPhones with this update, just so people would have to upgrade to the iPhone 4.

x2 I use trailguru. I can track my run and listen to music at the same time only from my playlist. A 3G ipone won't run 2 apps simultaneously, but will allow one app while you run saved music. I also upgraded my 3g to the new software when it came out, not knowing how bad it will be. I'm sorry I did. The darn thing is constantly crashing and slow. I can't wait to get a new phone now.
2011-01-05 11:01 PM

New user
I am 90% sure you can listen to music through the iPod app while another app (like run keeper) runs even on the older firmware with an iPhone 3G. You start the music before you start the running app. Run keeper also has an option to start a playlist when you start your workout. Run keeper is free for the month of January.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iPhone, tracking your run and listening to music Rss Feed