2005-08-04 9:58 AM
in reply to: #216121

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Stupid things people say, vs. 2.0
Chris Tree - 2005-08-04 10:47 AM

nliedel - 2005-08-04 2:45 PM

You know it is entirely possible, looking at this from another angle, that while she does not need someone telling her what to do she wants it right now. She has been the adult for a long time with a rather stressful situation in her life, which I will not go into, and has shouldered a great deal of responsibility. This relationship, as odd as I see it from the outside, might be what she needs for now. Just a thought. I only hope she is deeply happy. If Mr. "Your friend is fat" makes her happy then I guess I cannot say much about it other than she is welcome here anytime.

Does that make sense or am I wrong?

YOU SOUND LIKE THE BEST FREIND ANYONE COULD WISH FOR!

(I BEFORE E STUPID!)

Some days yes, I am. Some not so much. Read the thread I wrote yesterday. I had a bit of a wake up call yesterday and Gwendal was part of it but mostly it was a phone call from a dear friend that sort of smacked me around a bit and reminded me to stop judging myself and others. I am better today than I was yesterday and tomorrow I may slip. Every day we start over ya know?

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-04 10:00 AM

2005-08-04 10:06 AM
in reply to: #215938

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Maybe he just doesn't want her to catch the triathlon disease...it seems to be pretty contageous and it results in all kinds of strange behaviour including less time spent with controlling jerks.

Late to this thread, just wanted to say keep your chin up, I think letting it go is the right thing in this case. So many unknowns, and really all you can do is just wait and see how it pans out. Were it me, I'd back off from the friend and let her come to me, but that's just how I am. Good luck with it.

In the meantime, get out there on your new bike!
2005-08-04 10:07 AM
in reply to: #216114

User image

Master
Colorado
nliedel - 2005-08-04 9:45 AM

You know it is entirely possible, looking at this from another angle, that while she does not need someone telling her what to do she wants it right now. She has been the adult for a long time with a rather stressful situation in her life, which I will not go into, and has shouldered a great deal of responsibility. This relationship, as odd as I see it from the outside, might be what she needs for now. Just a thought. I only hope she is deeply happy. If Mr. "Your friend is fat" makes her happy then I guess I cannot say much about it other than she is welcome here anytime.

Does that make sense or am I wrong?

Yep. Here are my thoughts - (slightly from experience) if she has been the "adult" for so long, she is looking for someone else to be "in charge." That is why she is with him. She probably wants to feel taken care of and not have to shoulder so much in life. He sounds arrogant, cocky and controlling, just what she wants right now. However, I doubt it will last long. Eventually she will see that in the long run, that is really not going to work for her. What do you do? Let her know you are a friend for life. Friends don't take offense or judge. Let her know that you would prefer not to hear his comments about you, but that you will always be her friend if she wants you. True friendship will shine through the rough times, even if she doesn't see it until later. Love her and support her, eventually she will figure it out.
2005-08-04 10:14 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
For somone to say something like that, just shows you how small his world (mind) is. No , he is not worth it (even for the time to type this down), but it's you who got affected (like it or not). Let it be and have nothing but pitty on him since either his parents where not bright enough themselves to show him there is more to life than his egotestical...Oops egotistical big mouth and small brain or he simply does not have the capacity to shut up and open his mind.

Asof for your friend, you are right in one respect that it is her life. BUT! if you two are close enough, I would speak my mind (ONLY ONCE), and let it go after that (you are her friend that cares). She would have been warned and if it sticks, she will observe more closely and eventually see the light or it will be her choice to be with him regardless. If there is more to it, she may open up to you then or maybe later on. But in the end, you are right that it is her life (her choice). Afterall, she is over 18 years old right?
2005-08-04 10:19 AM
in reply to: #216156

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
cobannero - 2005-08-04 11:14 AM

For somone to say something like that, just shows you how small his world (mind) is. No , he is not worth it (even for the time to type this down), but it's you who got affected (like it or not). Let it be and have nothing but pitty on him since either his parents where not bright enough themselves to show him there is more to life than his egotestical...Oops egotistical big mouth and small brain or he simply does not have the capacity to shut up and open his mind.

Asof for your friend, you are right in one respect that it is her life. BUT! if you two are close enough, I would speak my mind (ONLY ONCE), and let it go after that (you are her friend that cares). She would have been warned and if it sticks, she will observe more closely and eventually see the light or it will be her choice to be with him regardless. If there is more to it, she may open up to you then or maybe later on. But in the end, you are right that it is her life (her choice). Afterall, she is over 18 years old right?

She's 38... oops 39. Birthday two weeks ago.
2005-08-04 10:34 AM
in reply to: #216110

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

Freeswimmingfish - 2005-08-04 8:40 AM
nliedel - 2005-08-04 8:28 AM
Freeswimmingfish - 2005-08-04 10:25 AM Sounds like projection. I will tell you he is prolly jealous of your accomplishments. Just keep putting the miles in and let him look in the mirror and say those things to the one they belong to, himself. I hear it a lot from family (not my wife or kids), people at work and in my nieghborhood, "how can you think you can do this race when you look like that" or "why try when you will not win". I always ask these people to come to my races, not to watch me, but to see all the determined athletes that are doing way more than most folks. Only a few have come and watched. You are a TRIATHLETE and YOU KNOW IT!!!!!!
' Snort.. Yes I am aren't I? Slow as a dog and happy in the back of the pack cause someone has to be last and the honor is all mine but it is a bit of an accomplishment isn't it?
You are right, someone has to be last. If it is you, well, enjoy your moment. Think how nice it will be when you give the gift of last to someone else. I have been last a few times. Someone at the park where I do my bricks told me once "If you lost weight, you might be really fast" as I passed them on the bike. I said loud "whatever" and decided I would lap them, an I did.

Nliedel - Don't let them grind you down. Shame on your friend for allowing herself to be manipulated by this tool.

Freeswimmingfish - And you lapped them? This is why I love you brother!

I've been last a  times and think I will be BOP for a year or so to come - but I'm putting forth the training and working on becoming the best I can muster.

My most enjoyable moment to date was at the Woodlands Triathlon when the guy in the Louis Garneau helmet and matching unitard tri suit I gave an "on your left" to... looked at me quizically, as if someone my size shouldn't be able to catch him, much less pass him. At the dismount line he gave me a slap on the back and said "Good Split!" That cycling split was a PR.

2005-08-04 11:35 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
jeezus you chicks are complicated. just tell her and him that he's a dick.

(manwoman.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
manwoman.jpg (39KB - 26 downloads)
2005-08-04 11:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis, MN

Hi Nancy,

One of the great things about people on this forum is they are very straight up about who and what they are.  I've been reading your posts and you are one of the most genuine persons I've ever run across on the internet.  I have no doubt that everything you write is straight from your heart.

So to have this bozo question your integrity is an insult you don't deserve.  (Before you kick him, take some Muay Thai lessons, THEN kick him... and kick him... and kick him... knees... a spinning elbow...).  You should have been in his face challenging him to back up his malicious claim.  Friend of a friend or not, don't let people talk to you like that.

The worst is you are questioning yourself because of this @$$H()!E.  Be proud of your accomplishments.  Every day.  Stick with your dreams.

2005-08-04 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
haha...my thoughts exactly AWOL...
I must have busted some knobs somewhere on my machine, because I'm one of the few uncomplicated women left...

I'm thinking about it now and if one of my friends told me what he had said, simply put i would have responded with....My my, you've got yourself quite an asshole there dont you?

and that would have been that.

She could have chewed on her choices a little more and made her mind up for herself.

What someone should tell this weenus is that one of the funniest things in the world is watching a fatty blow by some skinny buff guy...THATS entertainment...

What BAFFLES me is that this guy thinks youre such a shady person that you would goto all the effort of MAKING racing numbers and buying medals...
where does he think you got all those?

Edited by Jiggies 2005-08-04 11:55 AM
2005-08-04 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Guys who do things like tell new girlfriends which of their longstanding friends they can and cannot see end up with restraining orders and convictions for things like assault and manslaughter.

Guys who do not do things like that do not end up with restraining orders and convictions for violent crimes.

2005-08-04 12:01 PM
in reply to: #216341

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Well I am complicated on the inside but can get ready to go out to a nice dinner in 5 minutes flat.

I am going to sit back and watch carefully. Speaking my mind is never really a problem for me. It's all this thinking before you speak stuff that is tough.

2005-08-04 12:10 PM
in reply to: #216332

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
Jiggies - 2005-08-04 9:53 AM

haha...my thoughts exactly AWOL...
I must have busted some knobs somewhere on my machine, because I'm one of the few uncomplicated women left...

I'm thinking about it now and if one of my friends told me what he had said, simply put i would have responded with....My my, you've got yourself quite an asshole there dont you?

and that would have been that.

She could have chewed on her choices a little more and made her mind up for herself.

What someone should tell this weenus is that one of the funniest things in the world is watching a fatty blow by some skinny buff guy...THATS entertainment...

What BAFFLES me is that this guy thinks youre such a shady person that you would goto all the effort of MAKING racing numbers and buying medals...
where does he think you got all those?

you're my kind of gal.

everytime i get into a new relationship i make sure to let my princess know that she has to be explicit with me if she wants me to get a point. i only speak very little Chick. Guy is my native language. i'm not insensitve, but i'm male.

and even by male standards, nliedel, that guy is a grade A dipshit.
2005-08-04 12:14 PM
in reply to: #216371

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
awol - 2005-08-04 1:10 PM

you're my kind of gal.

everytime i get into a new relationship i make sure to let my princess know that she has to be explicit with me if she wants me to get a point. i only speak very little Chick. Guy is my native language. i'm not insensitve, but i'm male.

and even by male standards, nliedel, that guy is a grade A dipshit.

You sound like my husband "Don't hint cause I won't get it. Tell me what you need and I will try to do it for you. Hinting will only frustrate you". He was not lying either.
2005-08-04 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Your friend's boyfriend is low-life. What a terrible thing to say to anyone. I doubt very much he does not want his gf not to "hang" with you because "you are lying". More likely, he is trying to isolate her from her friends in order to consolidate his control over her. Your friend must surely know deep down inside that this guy is dog dirt. I don't wish to belittle your friend, but her self-esteem is probably too low to allow herself to admit that. (I apologize if this offends you) Someone has to talk to her and let her know that is a jerk.
2005-08-04 1:58 PM
in reply to: #216505

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Machiavelo,

No you are not insulting her at all. Face it we all have an area in our lives where smart flyes out the window. This may be hers.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Stupid things people say, vs. 2.0 Rss Feed  

of 2