General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike or Wheel Upgrade? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-15 6:12 PM

Thief River Falls, MN
Subject: Tri Bike or Wheel Upgrade?
I purchased a Fuji Team Carbon road bike last summer and did a couple tri's (sprint, olympic) along with a marathon, 1/2 marathon and a few 10k's.  I am training for my first HIM next summer and I am wondering what is the best option.

- Keep riding current road bike w/ fast forward seatpost - look into wheel upgrade
- Sell bike, look into purchasing a P2C

Which one will I get the most benefit from?  Bike or seatpost/wheels?

Thank You for you input.

2010-12-15 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3250273

Subject: RE: Tri Bike or Wheel Upgrade?
Everything I have read about Triathlon bikes is that they better than road bikes because of the aero position and seat angle.  There is supposed to be a lot of data that shows improved running times after riding the tri bike.  I can't say from experience as I am still riding on my old 23lb, 2nd hand 1984 Centurion 12 spd.  I pass a lot of people on tri bikes and I haven't had any leg cramps on the run after.  I'm sure my times could be better with a tri bike, but I am not a pro and bikes cost a lot of money.
2010-12-16 6:59 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's no universal answer... it all depends on your terrain, how technical the race is, and that's before we even take YOU into account!

Don't assume that a tri bike will be faster. Yes, on the flat to rolling terrain, the aerodynamic advantages will show a benefit, but if you have climbs (and of course descents) or a race with quite a few turns (especially sharp turns), then a road bike might be beneficial.

The drawback of a road bike with a FF seatpost is that you move your center of weight too far forward for the geometric balance of the bike. Simply, it's not designed to be ridden that way. This shows up in instability and handling issues. Some geometries will be better than others for YOU, again, no universal answer.
2010-12-16 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Also, take into account how and where you plan to train.  For example, if you like to do group rides or lots of climbing, you may prefer your road bike.

What are your goals?  Are you looking to just finish the HIM or do you hope to finish FOB?  If finishing is your primary goal, you can do this on your current road bike.

Personally, I would save up until I could afford to buy a tri bike without selling the road bike. 

If you really want to treat yourself to something that will help your riding, how about a nice powertap wheel.  You can find a used wired version on an open pro for ~$500 and a used wireless ANT+ version for ~$800.  Working the on the engine can have bigger impacts that adding aero wheels.

2010-12-16 8:25 PM

Thief River Falls, MN
Thanks for the input.  Right now I have bolt on aero bars and it is working OK.  I'm thinking maybe a good tri saddle and sticking with the road bike may be better for this next summer's HIM....Shooting for 5:45 hopefully.

Thanks fo rthe input

Ryan
2010-12-17 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Short answer: tri bike.

Long answer:

To answer your question, you have to answer "Can I ride aero on my road bike now for long distances"?

When you get right down to it, the major advantage of the tri bike geometry is to enable the rider to stay in the aero position comfortably for hours.  The instant you sit up on a tri bike, that advantage disappears.  In fact, sitting up on a tri bike may be less comfortable than riding a road bike, so you may actually ride slower over distance. 

The "saving legs for the run" bit is a well dispelled but oft repeated myth, BTW. Let's not go there.

Thus if your answer is "yes, I can ride most of the HIM in aero on my road bike with clip-ons", then you won't get much of an immediate advantage from a tri bike alone.  You would get it from a tri bike with aero wheels, aero helmet, etc - the full package - but not from a tri bike alone.

If the answer is "no, I can't ride aero for most of the HIM", then adding aero wheels won't do much for you.  Your body sitting upright slows you down far more than non-aero wheels, so getting a tri bike so you can go aero would do you the most good.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike or Wheel Upgrade? Rss Feed