General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Replacing Battery in Garmin Soft HR Strap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-16 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Subject: Replacing Battery in Garmin Soft HR Strap
I am having the hardest time finding a Philips head screwdriver that will fit.  I have tried a few precision screwdrivers with no luck (from Sears and Radio Shack).

2010-12-16 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3251112

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Replacing Battery in Garmin Soft HR Strap
I have found that I can get them to open if I use a LOT of force to hold the screwdriver to the screw.  Push the screwdriver as hard as you can down onto the screw.

Hopefully I don't have to switch it again for awhile.  I've done it twice now and I fear that eventually I will accidentally strip the screws!
2010-12-16 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3251134

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I stripped one of the screws when I tried to change the battery recently.  I had to try to pry the back off with the screw still in it.  Never could quite get it to go back on totally flush.  It's working fine, but don't know if that will last if it gets real wet.

They need to come up with a better way to get it on & off.
2010-12-16 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3251134

User image

Expert
Hawaii

jldicarlo - 2010-12-16 7:06 AM I have found that I can get them to open if I use a LOT of force to hold the screwdriver to the screw.  Push the screwdriver as hard as you can down onto the screw.

Hopefully I don't have to switch it again for awhile.  I've done it twice now and I fear that eventually I will accidentally strip the screws!

Has that held up well when it's gotten wet?  It seems like I'm out in the rain quite often.  I need to replace the battery for mine, but have been debating just buying a new monitor.

2011-06-28 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

Can I just say how much I hate the Garmin HRM strap.  Not so much the strap itself but the sensor/transmitter that has the battery.  I was able to get 3 of the screws off to change the battery, but stripped the 4th and not able to remove it.  I then bought a new one and the batteries are starting to fade so I tried to open this one up.  Same thing.  I was able to get 3 off and the 4th is now stripped.  Argh! 

I wish the strap was either rechargeable or there was an easier way to change the batteries.  I would switch to Polar or some other brand, but I like the Garmin 705 on my bike and the 310xt for running and racing and dont want to have HR separate. 

Has anyone else had trouble getting the screws out?  Are there any secret ways to remove a screw that is stripped?

2011-06-28 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3571572

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
mjengstrom - 2011-06-28 3:12 PM

Can I just say how much I hate the Garmin HRM strap.  Not so much the strap itself but the sensor/transmitter that has the battery.  I was able to get 3 of the screws off to change the battery, but stripped the 4th and not able to remove it.  I then bought a new one and the batteries are starting to fade so I tried to open this one up.  Same thing.  I was able to get 3 off and the 4th is now stripped.  Argh! 

I wish the strap was either rechargeable or there was an easier way to change the batteries.  I would switch to Polar or some other brand, but I like the Garmin 705 on my bike and the 310xt for running and racing and dont want to have HR separate. 

Has anyone else had trouble getting the screws out?  Are there any secret ways to remove a screw that is stripped?

See my post above.  You just REALLY have to make sure you have a FIRM grip on the screw before you try to turn.  I've opened mine 2 or 3 times now without stripping the screws.  And I probably just jinxed myself.

Question: Are you SURE the batteries are fading or are you just getting the wonky readings?  There was a post not that long ago (this week) about the soft strap weird readings and it turns out that it generally isn't due to the batteries at all...

I also wonder if Garmin would change out the batteries for you...like I send my Timex watches back to Timex to get the batteries swapped.  Just another idea...you could call and ask.  They will probably tell you that you can do it yourself but if you explain the stripped screw problem they might have a better fix.

2011-06-28 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3571619

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

Yes - I used a very firm grip on the screw first.

I guess there is really no way of knowing if its the batteries or not.  But mine either just drops off completely or reads really low.  I use electrode gel on the strap as well.

I plan to contact Garmin next. 

2011-06-29 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

Those are the smallest screws I've ever seen!

The right size screw driver makes makes changing them pretty easy. I don't have one, but a guy I work with does (Craftsman brand from Sears). He has some sort of "kit" that includes a bunch of tiny tools. If he didn't, I'd take the strap to a jewelry or watch repair place. They may charge you an extra dollar or so for the battery, but at least you won't have to worry about stripping the screws.

2011-06-29 11:53 AM

User image

New user

Inland Northwest
The nice lady at the jewelry counter at Walmart changed the battery for free when I bought a new one.  I don't know if I have the right screwdriver, but she did, and she knew how to use it.  They have changed watch batteries for me many times too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Replacing Battery in Garmin Soft HR Strap Rss Feed