General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting tri if I can learn to swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-16 5:18 PM

Subject: Starting tri if I can learn to swim
Been a long time runner and now want to switch to tri. But a bit intimidated by swim. Specifically, as a 42-yo father, how much time should I expect to invest to become proficient enough swimming to then turn to actually training?I started a few months go and was breathless after 25m. since then have been doing lessons, also going thru TI DVD and book, and otherwise swimming 5 or 6 times a week. Am seeing a bit of progress - can now do 75m continuously - but still feel like that's a poor return on my investment.Does it get easier? And when?Guessing the answers are largely just along line of sticking with But would appreciate any insights on whether a longer distance event such as HIM is even possible, given my current inability to swim, for late 2011? Plan to start with shorter events first.Thanks

2010-12-16 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3251570

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Subject: RE: Starting tri if I can learn to swim
Stick with the TI and swim training and it will come.  Been doing the TI and swim training for 12 months and was in the same boat as you a year ago.  My progress was very erratic at first and really struggled with endurance.  Eventually, once I learned to relax and got control of my breathing, it all came together.  Literally, in the course of 2 weeks (about 4 months into the program), I went from swimming 200 yds continuously to 1 mile.  Seven months after starting to swim I completed a 900M OWS and 2 months later did a 1 mile OWS in an Oly.  I do not think that my experience is that unusual and for many adults learning to swim, you should expect to have similar break through days when all of a sudden things come together.

Could you complete a 1.2 mile HIM swim in 9-10 months - probably, but you will need to recognize that speed is not your focus.  Unlike the bike and run, you can't muscle your way through the swim - it really is about technique (and TI for me was a great approach).  Check out the forums on the TI site for additional support and ideas - many of the posters there are extremely helpful.

Before you go all in on a HIM, you shouldn't lose sight of the fact that an OWS is VERY different than a pool and, as everyone will attest to here, there's a fear/panic/excitement element which you will need to confront.  Starting with the shorter events sounds like a good approach and is certainly doable.

Best of luck and welcome.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting tri if I can learn to swim Rss Feed