General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone rupture an ear drum? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-17 8:11 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: Anyone rupture an ear drum?
Appearantly, I may have had a bit of an ear infection from swimming before I went on vacation last week. I got off a flight from Boston and was darn near in tears my ears hurt soooo bad. I toughed it out a week and went to a doctor last night. She looks in my ear and goes "Oh my God"!! Not exactly what I wanted to hear. Ear drum is punctured. For now I need to take a couple of weeks off swimming and see if it heals. Not what I needed, since I'm a swimming slacker and needed to start my cram sessions before the first Xterra in spring. But if it doesn't heal in a couple weeks I'm looking at surgery and a lot more time without swimming! F!@K!!

2010-12-17 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3252056

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
Subject: RE: Anyone rupture an ear drum?
i have done it 3 times to the same ear... it sucks bad... for me they just put a patch on it

i also go some pro doc's ear plugs.. i think they were $10-20 each but they are amazing
2010-12-17 8:39 AM

I ruptured my eardrum firing a Mauser rifle with a defective set of ear plugs in my ears, about 4 years ago. the crack in my left ear was unmistakeable. In time (i.e.....2 weeks, maybe), it will heal...meaning, that the hissing in your ear will dissipate. I think after that, getting in the water should be safe. I have not had a problem with it since, but any loud snaps or cracks is definitely unwelcome. That eardrum is gone.
2010-12-17 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
South Florida
You had an ear infection for a week without doing anything? Then flew?
Man, you are a lot tougher than I am. I used to get a lot of ear infections when I worked for a pool repair company and was always swimming and diving down to the bottom of pools. I used to put either rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide in my ear and swab with a q-tip when I felt like an infection was coming on.
2010-12-17 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus
yep.  It happened to me when I was 8.  It was never the same since.  However, you are an adult and can press the doctors for more attention if needed.  Can't do that when you're a kid and you know it didn't heal right.

I have some hearing loss of certain tones in that ear and have water that gets into the remaining hole.  Earplugs when swimming are my new best friend.  Love 'em!!!!! 

Hope you heal quickly!!!
2010-12-17 8:51 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I ruptured an eardrum when I was 17. Went too deep in the lake without equalizing. Apart from childbirth, I have to say that it was pretty much the worst pain I have ever experienced.

It healed over time, but I am unable to swim down deep now. No matter how much I equalize, I have pain. I had looked into learning to scuba dive at one point, and a physician told me that because of the scar tissue it was probably not going to be possible.    

Now keep in mind that perhaps my experience, having resulted from a traumatic rupture as opposed to an infection, is quite different from yours............you may not have the same issues that I do.

Best of luck in your recovery......

2010-12-17 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3252109

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Turnin2 - 2010-12-17 8:41 AM

You had an ear infection for a week without doing anything? Then flew?
Man, you are a lot tougher than I am. I used to get a lot of ear infections when I worked for a pool repair company and was always swimming and diving down to the bottom of pools. I used to put either rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide in my ear and swab with a q-tip when I felt like an infection was coming on.

I have major sinus issues. I was jumped by a group of thugs when I was in college. I took some stell toe boot blows to the face. They crushed my sinuses on the left side of my face. The ear pain I felt before flight felt "normal" to me and kinda like my usuall sinus issues. I honestly, thought nothing of it.

Tri-dq, thanks for the doc's info. I just checked those out and looks like a good solution. With my sinus issues, I should probably be wearing them swimming anyhow.

Edited by Meulen 2010-12-17 8:53 AM
2010-12-17 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3252125

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Meulen - 2010-12-17 9:52 AM
Turnin2 - 2010-12-17 8:41 AM You had an ear infection for a week without doing anything? Then flew?
I have major sinus issues. I was jumped by a group of thugs when I was in college. I took some stell toe boot blows to the face. They crushed my sinuses on the left side of my face. The ear pain I felt before flight felt "normal" to me and kinda like my usuall sinus issues. I honestly, thought nothing of it. Tri-dq, thanks for the doc's info. I just checked those out and looks like a good solution. With my sinus issues, I should probably be wearing them swimming anyhow.

I also have sinus issues.
Swimming gives me horrid sinusitis..........you may also want to consider wearing a nose clip when you swim. It has been a magic bullet for me.
Now I can swim without suffering for 24 hours afterwards.........  
Just a thought. 
2010-12-17 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3252133

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
aquagirl - 2010-12-17 8:58 AM

Meulen - 2010-12-17 9:52 AM
Turnin2 - 2010-12-17 8:41 AM You had an ear infection for a week without doing anything? Then flew?
I have major sinus issues. I was jumped by a group of thugs when I was in college. I took some stell toe boot blows to the face. They crushed my sinuses on the left side of my face. The ear pain I felt before flight felt "normal" to me and kinda like my usuall sinus issues. I honestly, thought nothing of it. Tri-dq, thanks for the doc's info. I just checked those out and looks like a good solution. With my sinus issues, I should probably be wearing them swimming anyhow.

I also have sinus issues.
Swimming gives me horrid sinusitis..........you may also want to consider wearing a nose clip when you swim. It has been a magic bullet for me.
Now I can swim without suffering for 24 hours afterwards.........  
Just a thought. 

thanks! nose/ear plugs are cheap and easy. Your right, I should at least give them a try. If a cheap fix can keep me from this kind of aggrevation and pain of a ruptured ear drum it's worth it!!
2010-12-17 9:59 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Yep. I've busted each one twice.

They typical healing is 6-8wks keeping it dry and it'll heal. But, after several punctures, or to speed things up, they'll put a patch on it.

Just ask the Dr. if he'll put a graft on it. It'll hurt temporarily, but speed up the healing.

And be cautious now, b/c once it pops it's easier to do it again and again...
2010-12-17 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
Virginia
Same experience as some others--I have ruptured one side twice.  First time was performing an outstanding can-opener off of a diving board (what, I shouldn't do that anymore now that I'm 50 lbs. heavier than I was in high school?) and second time was picking up coins from the bottom of the diving well.  I no longer go down deep or execute monster splash dives--I agree that the eardrum is now weaker and would likely rupture again.

Earplugs are extremely helpful.  I just discovered the Macks earplugs that are not the big wax ones--these are like little plungers that fit into the ear canal.  Much more comfortable.

2010-12-17 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Did it doing a head first cannonball off a high dive...second worst pain of my life. It's never been the same, and I can't dive deep underwater anymore.

Pain in the middle of your head like that is brutal. Can't believe you flew with it.
2010-12-17 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
MI
My dad ruptured his ear drum when he was younger from jet skiing.  Now he has to wear some special ear plugs every time he swims.
2010-12-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3252356

Master
, California
Also you can use a 50-50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar to put a couple drops in each ear after you swim.  It helps dry out the moisture and prevent infection.

Check with your doctor first though - you need to be fully recovered from the ruptured eardrum.
2010-12-17 11:42 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Until a few years ago I got an ear infection at least once a year (I'm 33).  I could tell it was coming on and it was the one thing that would send me running to the doctor.  They'd look in say it's a little pink and I'd give them the details "Multiple sets of tubes as a child, tonsils and adnoids out, ear infections annually, scar tissue in the ears."  They'd see the scar tissue, know I wasn't lying and ask what I needed.  Amoxicillan does it for me every time.  Now, I've learned that if I start feeling pressure I can take Sudafed (the real stuff behind the counter) and get it draining and usually avoid it.  But I would never, ever fly with any ear pressure without being on Sudafed for at least 24 hours before hand. 

Good luck in healing. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone rupture an ear drum? Rss Feed