General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie offseason confusion -- how do I approach this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-17 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Newbie offseason confusion -- how do I approach this?
So, I'm a newbie with a grand total of 2 sprints under my belt - both done in 2nd half of 2010. I LOVED it, and am planning on a few races next season including a 1/2 marathon in March, a couple of sprint tris, and ideally an Oly distance later in the season. As I get further into the offseason, I feel my confusion growing over how to approach both off season workouts & planning training for the next few winter months, and then transitioning into race training next year. Right now my workouts are all swim & run focused as I feel I need the most work in those areas. I'm likely getting a new bike in the next couple months, and will get back on the road once that happens.

So, my question to the greater BT community is how do I move forward in an organized way? Since I'm not training for a specific tri at the moment (althought I AM following a 1/2 mary training plan right now), a tri specific plan doesn't seem to make sense. Do I get a maintenace plan to take me through winter, then move into race training (in line w/ the race calendar I'll have set)? Do I just fill in swim/bike workouts around the 1/2 mary plan?  Some other approach? Thanks for your help.

2010-12-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3252593

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Newbie offseason confusion -- how do I approach this?
Basically....yes.

Since you are just getting going, I would suggest working and focusing on your worst discipline...sounds like swimming and running. Following your 1/2 Mary plan is a great idea. Just throw in some swims as well...

You don't need to get real fancy at this point. Consistency will get you farther than anything right now.

It sounds like you'll be getting your bike right around the time you want to start your overall tri training. So stick with that.

Like I said, don't make it complicated. Just get out there and do it. When things get easy, do some more. Maybe once in a blue moon, take it up a notch....and then repeat it.
2010-12-17 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3252614

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie offseason confusion -- how do I approach this?
Fastyellow - 2010-12-17 8:36 AM

You don't need to get real fancy at this point. Consistency will get you farther than anything right now.

Like I said, don't make it complicated. Just get out there and do it. When things get easy, do some more. Maybe once in a blue moon, take it up a notch....and then repeat it.

To make Fastyellow's post "unfancy" and "less complicated"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie offseason confusion -- how do I approach this? Rss Feed