General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cardio exacerbating anxiety? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-17 7:47 PM

User image

Indy
Subject: Cardio exacerbating anxiety?
This topic will surely be met with some resistance considering the forum.  I have had excessive anxiety for most of my adult life.  Coping skills, coupled with medication as needed, have been effective at keeping me functional.  However, I notice a strong correlation between strenuous exercise and panic attacks.  This has been escalating for the past six months.

Traditional wisdom says that exercise is beneficial to those who suffer from depression and anxiety.  My experience has raised questions whether the extra rush from prolonged exercise, mainly adrenaline and cortisol, have negative impacts on my anxiety.  Does anyone else find this to be true in their battle with anxiety?  I suppose I may be grasping at straws to explain my recent bout of issues, but there is some research to back this hypothesis.   

2011-02-14 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3253003

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Cardio exacerbating anxiety?
Are you training for something? Are you pushing yourself, looking for results? That could be adding to your anxiety levels--I'm much more intense when training for something than when I'm just doing maintenance.
2011-11-25 11:00 PM

User image

Round Rock
Have you discussed with your doc? Do you have any mitral valve issues?
2011-11-26 3:06 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe a related issue......recently passed up a chance to compete in an international "vertical challenge" race as I could envision having a panic attack during it. Don't normally suffer from generalized anxiety but exposed heights (oddly, unless I'm climbing a mountain), injections, driving fast on open interstate (probably a form of motion sickness since I'm used to third world speeds) and small enclosed places tend to give me the heebie jeebies, and I tend to have a strong physical response in very stressful situations (sweating, intense nausea, etc.) I find physical symptoms of anxiety are worse if my heart's already pounding anyway from exertion.  I think the elevated heart rate from exercise tricks the brain into thinking an anxiety attack has already started, then it escalates--physical symptoms of anxiety, concern about the physical symptoms, more anxiety, etc. If you can find any kind of biofeedback device, even a heart rate monitor, and try to slow your heart rate through rhythmic breathing, meditation, etc. it can be useful in controlling physical symptoms of anxiety. I'd also rule out purely physical causes of your symptoms, and avoid caffeine!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cardio exacerbating anxiety? Rss Feed